Titans Return Hot Rod Revealed

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by PoweredConvoy, Apr 29, 2016.

1. stad

stad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Agreed. There are parts with some intelligent dialogue, usually aimed far above the heads of the target audience. But at least in the 80s there was an excuse for crappy animation, and we didn't make excuses and call it "stylized."

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2016
  2. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

Except you're missing the point that people dislike the MTME design compared to the classic G1 DESIGN, not the production value.

A.k.a - character model that was designed and passed to both comic book artists and animators. How sloppy comic makers and animators were at their work is a zero factor here.

In this topic you will find at least two people, maybe more, who read IDW and MTME and we still dislike the design.
    Because it's a mother***ugly design, looks nothing like Hot Rod save for colors, is overdone and barocque, pointlessly pointy and can't even do an athletic figure that Roddy always had.

There's modernising, and there's forgetting about whom you are supposed to modernise. Bayformers Jazz and Optimus are closer to the original characters than is MTME design. Take away its orange/red colors and flames painted on chest and you'd have a hard time telling who it is supposed to be.

Great design for an OC. Plain terrible for Hot Rod.

Here's another thing: the Generations line is not an IDW line. IDW is already lucky as nobody else to have more toys in it than anyone else save for G1, but the line is made to commemorate and update entire history of the franchise.

And IDW with books that can barely break 10k sales per month is only a tiny fraction of the fanbase.

Wasting this update slot on a MTME "Rodimus" and waiting hell knows how long for the next figure when the character did not have a proper update since this Classics thing only to make some comic book fans happy would be a fail on the Hasbro side. Works great for characters like Rewind or Chromedome, but Rodimus is a tiiiny bit more important for this franchise and has more weight as a classic character.

Same thing why I'm happy that TR Galvatron is NOT an IDW M109 Paladin cannon. Except this time I love the IDW design, but finally having a proper looking official update to Galvy's classic look is much more important.

Did you even consider that maybe older folks don't like modern music after hearing it, because it's simply not up to their tastes?
    FYI, there's also a lot of younger folks who listen only to classics because modern pop music is on the crap side for them. Actually, more of them than you'd expect.

Maybe sometimes people know modern stuff just fine, but they dislike it as a choice?

Crazy I know.

3. Honesty

Honesty honestly, Honesty!

News Credits:
    @Kaiju -

Agreed. Those are all very good shows, and in my opinion, are all very well animated and drawn. The kind of intelligent shows I enjoy exposing my daughter to.

@Haywired - what makes you think all IDW fans want updated G1? I sure as hell don't.

I like my G1. It was fine. I like my MP collection. But it's for nostalgia only, for me.

I love the artwork, art style and writing (IDW) much more than the 80's cartoon.

4. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

So what that you don't want updated G1?

That's you.

And probably even a majority of MTME fans, but the comic book fandom isn't that big.

Average 10k sales in print. And a big fest when it reaches 11k. That's not even a mainstream comic book.

The Generations line alone is larger than that and aimed at everyone who'd like a new Hot Rod figure, not just at the people following comic books.

Hasbro showed some brains and thinking about their entire fanbase by NOT doing an important character for MTME fans only. An MTME-friendly head always might be released later.

Besides, TR designs aren't blocky because they're slavish G1, but because they have to fit cockpits for Titan Masters. You couldn't fit a hollow box for a smaller figure into a Deluxe sized MTME Rodimus because of how sleek his torso is. Even TR Blurr looks bulky in comparison to MTME redesign.

With TR Chromedome it works because he's a bulkier bot even in the comic book.

Everything can be drawn, not everything can be molded in plastic.

It's the same as with CW line where every Deluxe bot had a boxy torso to fit a combination joint.

Complaints about it not being MTME-shaped have as much justification as complaints about the Torchbearers not being feminine enough. These combiner pegs and master cockpits have to go somewhere without making a figure overly fragile. So kids won't break them when playing.

Not the toymakers problem when they have a design that is unusable with their current gimmicks.

5. Afterburner

Afterburner For your health

News Credits:
    Animation suffers when Hasbro doesn't pay for time or quality. It is that simple. G1 animation suffered when Toei had to farm it out due to ridiculous deadlines. Animation in later series (Armada) had the same problems in addition to poor budgets. I mean there is a scene in Energon where Ironhide is standing on an unfinished background with a signature or something inside it...but not in Superlink.

So it is just like the toys - when you won't put money into it, you won't get quality out. They have never taken TF fiction seriously and that hasn't changed. Sad for us.

That said, this is not the line for perfect animation accuracy. We have that line. But gimmicks that were chosen by the team are not excuses for why the team can't then do other things. That's still on the team. They do not live in some impossible box and if they did it would be of their own creation.

6. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    It rarely even reaches 10k. I can't remember the last time I saw it break 10k. Every time I look up monthly sales numbers, formerly-RID and MTMtE are both selling in the 9k range.

And I love people saying they don't want updated G1, when the majority of those same people, in the same breath, want to pretend IDW is somehow G1 itself. Hypocrisy ahoy.

7. Starscream Gaga

Starscream Gaga Protoformed This Way

News Credits:
    I honestly never realized how many people disliked Rodimus' MTMTE designs. It was always one of my favourites, although I must admit I find it amusing that a redeco of Springer is closer to its design than a dedicated Hot Rod mold.

8. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Hot Rod is an unusual character in IDW, in that he is maybe the only character for whom I don't think ANY of the redesigns they've come up with have been good... though none of the others have been nearly as bad as the current.

Characters like Optimus, Magnus, and especially Megatron, some of the IDW reimaginings have been fantastic. A lot of the secondary characters have been at least as good, and many have been improvements, imo.

Just not Rodimus.

9. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

Springer's mold works best for MTME Rodimus because MTME Rodimus barely looks like an update to this character.

If you strip him from his colors, then it turns into some kind of generics with only two parts being vaguely Rodimus-like having sort of reflectors/intakes on high shoulders and exhaust pipes as wrist cannons. That's it. Even his alt mode is more Springer/MTME Chromedome than anything else. His helmet completely changed its shape into something with twice as many sharp edges and winglets. That's not even a change like with Optimus/Megatron/Galvatron when they have some details added but at least overall head shape remains close.

This is the only IDW redesign about which I can say I really dislike it and I find it bad. All the rest I either like, or not care enough to dislike.

Current IDW Galvatron I find pretty neat, except I don't think it needs a toy before an updated classics is made. Plus, this Earth body will be probably gone as soon as the Titan Returns starts.
    But making him an actual self-propelled howitzer, an exact Earth counterpart to his classic Cybertronian cannon alt mode, instead of a some generic modern battle tank was a nice touch.

And Rodimus and Galvatron are in a fairly similar situation, as none of their classic updates before was good.

10. Hanzkaz

Hanzkaz Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm thinking the same. I wonder if TR HR could get an extreme remold as Galvatron's other sidekick.

11. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    ...who are you talking to? You quoted me, but I've never said jack about G1 being the pinnacle of artwork or design. I have said in the past that the toys from the Movie, onward, felt cheaper and less impressive to me. As for the cartoons and comics, I think the quality varies wildly on the cartoon, and that the comic was decent for its time.

Because I happen to not like a particular design for a character doesn't mean I want only G1 models for said character. If you had asked me why I do not care for IDW Hot Rodimus' design, you would have found out that I simply dislike how busy and stylized it looks. In fact, I don't think I've liked any of Rodimus' design in IDW. This does not preclude me from liking other IDW designs, such as Springer or Ultra Magnus, nor do I feel that the toys that take heavy inspiration from them are bad in any way, shape, or form. Nor does this mean that I cannot enjoy Hot Rods/Rodimus' which are different. I have Alternator Rodimus, Animated Rodimus, Energon Rodimus, etc. and enjoy all of them. Just because IDW has yet to produce a Hot Rodimus design that I like doesn't make me a G1-only fanboy.

Truth be told, when I kitbash my own Roddy figures, I tend to take cues from a variety of sources. I'm currently working on converting a Battle Core Optimus into Rodimus Prime, and since the alt-form is a Semi (albeit a flat-nose type this time), I'm drawing a lot inspiration from the Energon design. However, I add in my own twists or mix and match them because, surprisingly enough, I like variety.

So, please remember in the future that someone not liking the same things you do is not a personal attack on you, and so there's no need to respond 'in kind.' None of this matters in the grand scheme of things, and so others opinions should not affect your enjoyment of a product in any way, shape or form.

Last edited: May 2, 2016
  12. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    Yeah I honestly feel like the MTMTE designs's cool too. Different yeah but still keeps the iconic elements. You could've gone in much worse directions with redesigning him.

13. griffn29

griffn29 Well-Known Member

This update seems to be it. Are there any other characters that need updated figures after this hot rod comes out?

14. God Ginrai

God Ginrai Energon Enthusiast

Um, the Dinobots?

A Voyager or Leader Shockwave?

The remaining Minibots?

A Reflector that isn't a Botcon exclusive?

I can think of a bunch.

15. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    :lol 

It's kinda weird like that.

I do hope that Hasbro/Takara at some point does a little alternate Headmaster head based on the MTMTE head.

16. Transfan123

Transfan123 Transfan123

The figure looks like an updated version of G1 Hot Rod and doesn't look half bad at all.

17. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

He's not bad, just hate to see all the people crapping on the original generations release. The lack of respect for old molds that paved the way for us to get these now is one of the more despicable aspects of this community.

18. Mechafire

Mechafire Tarnished Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Steer this back on topic please. This is not the place to discuss Steven Universe or whatever.

19. stad

stad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I agree with most of this list, but I'm fine with Reflector being a BotCon exclusive. I'm also fine with the 3rd party version, but that's another topic. I just wouldn't hold my breath waiting for that one, Hasbro wouldn't have let the Club do it if they had any plans whatsoever of doing it.

I guess I'm in the minority here. It may be far from perfect, but I have no problem with the Generations Hot Rod. But then again, other than the current comic, I never exactly considered him a major character. Rodimus Prime may be, and I know it's semantics, but that's just how I've always felt.

20. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

Voyager Dinobots would be nice. Headmasters or not.
    They should be Leaders, imho, but Voyagers would do in the absence of anythinge else official.