Heavy/Scratch: Titans Return Galvatron upgrades (Shapeways)

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by fakebusker83, Aug 4, 2016.

1. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002

News Credits:
    Because some people like to do minimal modding to keep a figures gimmick intact

2. Zeke1

Zeke1 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Where's the modding in replacing one removable head with another removable head?

3. Slipstreaming

Slipstreaming Member

There are a few of those on Shapeways already.

Making an entirely new head suggests there is something wrong with Nucleon. But the problem isn't Nucleon, it's that stupid flip up crown that doesn't fit properly.

I still want to use Nucleon but I don't want to use the stupid flip up crown gimmick. I don't like What Hasbro did because the flip up crown sits in front of his face & doesn't fit properly or tightly. This is the best solution so far. A crown that actually becomes part of his head but can be removed so you don't lose the headmaster gimmick.

4. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002

News Credits:
    Slipstreaming gets exactly what I was saying. To completely replace the head is to lose the headmaster gimmick. Some people want to retain all stock functionality of their figures while also making them better. The crown/helmet is the best solution for this and at least the idw version looks fantastic in person

5. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    Yes, I could not remember the correct word. Thanks! But only slightly sloped I'd say. And there is this ledge at the bottom as you can see in the pic. Basically upper back of the head and part of the sides is carved out to create that ledge at the bottom. Hope I describe it in a manner it's understandable.

6. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    Yup, I think the crown so far is one of the best I have ever seen!

7. fakebusker83

fakebusker83 Radicon

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I understand. There are reasons why I omitted the 'ledge' near the bottom. The helm doesn't actually circle around the entire head, but covers only the front half. Hence I kinda omitted all the details that were on the rear half of his helm.

The sides were semi sloped in the first version, but I ended up pressing the walls back closed to the sides of his face, made them vertical so as to reduce the visual size of the helm. The side walls are now so thin I'm unable to add parting lines or steps of any sort (1mm thick).

I personally have not tried FXD, because if I really wanted a smooth surface I can sand down FUD myself. Plus I balked at the print cost of an upgrade that could cost more than the figure itself.

That being said, I'm really curious to try FXD on some head models soon...

As I mentioned above, the helm is not a full encapsulating design. It actually opens up at the back for the Master's legs to stick out. The helm actually ends slightly behind the Master's arms in head mode and clips onto the legs for snug fitting. I'm not sure how much I can shrink the backside, probably about 1 - 2 mm more, without adversely affecting its friction fit.

As other commenters have said, I want to make an upgrade that I don't have to modify the figure to fit, as far as possible while keeping costs low. Plus I would like to retain Nucleon's functionality as a Headmaster. I like the Titans Return play pattern and I think we can play nice with it while still giving Generation 1 a sincere homage.

8. Gen. Magnus

Gen. Magnus Meep

News Credits:
    I just got my test print of the G1 helm. It's a little loose but is great otherwise. I can't wait to paint it.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2016
  9. Astro-Furby

Astro-Furby Life is strange

thought i would post my pics of this:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If anyone knows the correct paint or paint/mix to match with the rest of Galvatron please let me know

edit: saw a few pages back about Testor Grape, but thats not sold here in the uk :( 

10. C16

C16 Space Nomad

News Credits:
    So order it?

11. TFXProtector

TFXProtector TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    It s weird. In certain lighting, it's not far off. In others, it's drastic.

I have paint pens that will be a close match and due to the surface, it should adhere and cure pretty doggone fast, but it's still odd how it looks different from one pic to the next.

12. WheelWave140

WheelWave140 Hate's not cool, dudes!

News Credits:
    I think the forehead section is a little too elongated, it makes him look a bit like he's got a five-head.

13. autobot prowl

autobot prowl Well-Known Member

The newest version looks promising. After looking at the first helmet, without the horns that is a perfect megatron helmet

14. autobot prowl

Also for those curious about the Painters purple paint pen, it works great as tested on a custom head (yes I know I need to paint the eyes). Very close and smooth. Anyways look forward to seeing better pics of the smaller G1 style helmet. Will buy when finalized as I like the headmaster gimmick

Attached Files:

15. C16

C16 Space Nomad

News Credits:
    I picked up a replacement pen the other day and tested it today, it is a very close match.

Any plans for making this available in frosted details? Someone else asked but you didn't answer in your last post.

16. Ch40sKnight

Ch40sKnight Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Anyone know if a purple Sharpie marker would match well with Galvs? I plan on picking up the G1 helmet once it's refined a bit more.

17. Astro-Furby

Astro-Furby Life is strange

Can you post a pic of this paint pen so I know what I'm looking for?

18. cyberpredicus

cyberpredicus Well-Known Member

What head is that on your Galvatron autobot prowl?

19. autobot prowl

An old Energon Megatron head with a sculpted crown. Customized it forever ago and was in my parts bin. Perfect size and look for this figure. I added a ball joint to plug into the titanmaster spot. Nothing was permanently altered on the original figure. As for the paint pen I took the outer wrapper off so it's impossible to tell. I got it at Walmart in the craft section for under $3. Brand name is Painters if that helps. This was 2 layers of paint on it.

20. Huktonfonix

Huktonfonix Well-Known Member

Got the 1.0 model g1 helmet and arm adaptor . The arm adaptor fits well and does what it's supposed to, but I just prefer the cannon on top of the arm.

(Edit). Didn't realize the upper arm rotated. The adaptor actually does make a nice difference.

The helmet looks great overall from a 30 degree front angle but is a bit too bulky otherwise. I'm looking forward to the final version. Regardless it beats the heck out of the stock helmet. I also used the Walmart painters pen ( it was behind the craft counter under a locked cabinet at mine FYI). The colors not bad but it needs some gloss. Any suggestions on a good gloss coat?