Titans Return Deluxe Class Wolfwire, AKA Weirdwolf

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by CountDrunkula, Aug 26, 2016.

1. CountDrunkula

CountDrunkula Sturdy Beard

News Credits:
    What It Is: Titans Returns Wolfwire (AKA Weirdwolf) and Monxo (AKA Monzo)

[​IMG]

Where It’s At: Internet and Physical Retailers

Long Story Short:

Classic Headmaster and partner his does return with names new. Imposing, colorful and solid, perfect though not. Regardless, recommended.

Yeah, no, I’m not gonna do that for the whole review.

Short Story Long:

[​IMG]

If Skullcrusher was the dark horse of Titans Returns Wave One, then Wolfwire is the hero of Wave Two and of all the animal altmode TR figures thus far. He’s not flawless (one can’t help but look at a couple parts of him as Hasbro trying desperately to seize defeat from the jaws of victory), but as someone who was very much looking forward to this particular figure, I can say I am completely satisfied, and speaking as an unrepentant nerd, that’s saying a lot.

Packaging & Documents:

[​IMG]

Typical TR: two part plastic tray glued and taped to cardboard backer. Collector’s card taped to backer under between it and tray. Figure held down with sock ties, which I despise. Instructions on paper, poorly printed and difficult to read.

[​IMG]

***NOTE: Those of you with pets, particularly small dogs and cats, please please PLEASE keep those loose sock ties AWAY from your fur babies at any and all cost!!!***​

Figure:

Tremendous. Just tremendous. Hard to know where to start.

[​IMG]

Wolfwire…OK, fuck this…Weirdwolf comes mistransformed in package with his wolf feet facing out. Since his ankles are ball jointed, this is easily overcome. Ground up, he has ball joint ankles, hinged knees, lower thigh swivels, balljoint hips, limited waist swivel (<180 degrees due to butt plate), hinged elbows, lower bicep swivels, limited ball joint shoulders and the typical Titan Master balljoint neck. On my copy, Monzo fits well and seats fairly firmly – no floppiness in evidence out of the package. Due to the lower leg transformation tab tolerances, Weirdwolf’s lower leg “armor” likes to untab itself when you move his knees or ankles, but as those joints wear down a bit with use, it seems to be less of a problem. Beyond that, all joints are reasonably firm, and the ‘bot mode is able to support itself in multiple poses.

[​IMG]

Weirdwolf is a charmingly clashing deep teal and yellow in this mode with generous ghost gray highlights and tampo ‘Con symbols in the center of his chest and on both shoulders. I was going to comment on his super clean paint apps, but then I realized that some parts, like his upper arms, are actually two-part pieces cast in color that mate up. Nicely done. In any case, all his paint apps that are, in fact, paint apps are very clean with only one exception that seems to be on purpose and that I will address shortly.

[​IMG]

Weirdwolf comes with his tail/sword that makes a convincing Cybertronian scimitar and a deep teal BFG that he can just barely hold. For some odd reason, the BFG does not come with round pegs but with ridged pegs on either side and a soft diamond shaped handgrip peg. Weirdwolf can just hold the handgrip if you only seat it about halfway in his hand; otherwise, it tends to twist right out of his fingers, and I am concerned that forcing it could damage his hands. The BFG can also serve as a cannon for Monzo, but unlike previous TR weapons, there is no way to make it a standalone weapon, really – it will always be pointed at the ground if not in Weirdwolf’s hand or his altmode back.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oddly, you can open Weirdwolf’s chest to add an additional Titan Master…or for Monzo to ride along whilst a headless Weirdwolf runs rampant…? I mean, it is Weirdwolf…

Transformation has some sweet tricks: His whole torso extends for wolf mode via a hinge, while his forearms have little hinged doors that open to stow his ‘bot hands. Little hinged doors. I thought we’d seen the last of that kind of detailing on Deluxes, but there it is. Couldn’t be happier.

[​IMG]

Wolf mode adds and subtracts articulation: His rear legs now have ball joint ankles, that backward knee canines have the name of which escapes me at the moment in the form of a simple hinge, hinged forward knees, and ball hips. The former thigh swivel is neutralized by the lower leg armor becoming hip armor. That armor doesn’t actually peg at all in wolf mode, unfortunately, but if it did it would probably screw up hip articulation, so it is probably for the best. The transformation joints are strong enough to hold in place once you position it in any event. Front legs have ball ankles, hinged backwards knees, upper leg swivels, and ball shoulders. The wolf head is on a limited ball joint, and his jaw opens to reveal is soft, semi-transparent red rubber teeth. To eat with the better you, dear my. You can also turn his tail on its peg, I suppose. If you must.

[​IMG]

The BFG attaches to Weirdwolf’s hindquarters via to tabs, and is therefore completely unposeable in this mode. Sigh.

The colors are much the same of course, but in slightly different concentrations. A bit of silver is now more plainly evident, most obviously on his claws. The claw apps seem…messy and thin, perhaps to imply that he has actually worn the green paint of his paws down to bare metal? If that is the case, it…doesn’t really look good. But it isn’t a deal breaker, either. YMMV.

[​IMG]

This mode adds a canopy with more of that semi-transparent red rubber for the windows. Monzo can sit inside the canopy, but there is just barely enough room for his head, and even then only in a specific, slight forward position in order to fully close the canopy.

[​IMG]

Like many animal altmode TFs, Weirdwolf can be a pain to get posed, but all his joints are strong enough to hold him up once you get him how you want him.

Final Judgement:

Again, this isn’t quite a flawless figure due primarily to the BFG; however, it is a very, very good figure and my current favorite TR deluxe. If you are a fan of the classic Headmasters, or a fan of Beast Wars, or a fan of beast altmodes, or a fan of unique altmodes, this figure buy you must – that is all.

• Like Like x 7
  2. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    Can't wait, he looks really good.

BTW, the word you were looking for is "digigrade" IIRC. Also, whatever the intent of the streaky silver claws was, they are intentional, as even his CGI promo art has the claws weirdly speckled silver.

3. CountDrunkula

News Credits:
    Digitigrade! Thanks. I suppose I could have just googled that to remind myself, but, yanno...lazy.

Don't know where you are at, but apparently Walgreens in the USA are getting TR Wave Two in force - that's where I found mine. Got Mindwipe as well, but...he...um.

Well.

...I am thinking I will wait for someone else to post about him. Maybe they can help me be more appreciative of the figure before I post my thoughts.

4. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Who're you calling a geek?

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Mine should be arriving on Wednesday. :D 

5. Fallout

Fallout crack pipes needles pcp and fast cars

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    fuck, i didn't like skullcruncher at all but weirdwolf looks so good. probably my favorite of all the deluxes we've seen so far

6. Snake_eyes1975

Snake_eyes1975 Peace through Tyranny!!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I SO want this one...holy cow its sweet looking,

7. OCProwl

OCProwl Autobot Dad

News Credits:
    Whenever I see a photo of Wave 2 as a set, I feel giddy. It's one of the best looking waves in recent memory - true "pure" Headmasters, a diversity of colors (blue! yellow! purple! red/brown!) and factions (2 Autobots, 2 Decepticons), and purely awesome looking bots. Add in that 2 of these were childhood favs (Chromedome and Highbrow, looking at you guys!), 1 of the others was my brother's (Weirdwolf), and the last one was one we never had.... Well color me excited.

8. artiepants

artiepants Misses readable TF comics

News Credits:
    Hoooo-leeee crap, i thought the days of that kind of attention to detail were behind us. (Sentinel Prime DESPERATELY could use some of those for his forearms)

looks like Monzo joins the wave 2 "totally unpainted Titanmaster club", huh? that is really disappointing.

9. 9.8m/s^2

9.8m/s^2 What's in a name?

His shoulder missiles really pop with some red paint. His cannon looks good side-pegged into his shoulder.

I like his proportions the best out of the current batch of TR Deluxes: tall, heavy shoulders, armored greaves, thick torso. He screams "tough" as much as Blurr screams "fast."

Love the wolf teeth, too.

Also, his cockpit in alt mode is big enough to hold two Titan Masters. Two very friendly Titan Masters, but still, it's a big space.

10. Starscream 91

Starscream 91 Mech With A Mouth

News Credits:
    This guy and Highbrow has to be my most anticipated from this wave of deluxes. Really want him and want him like right now.

Come on Amazon lower your prices! Hasbro, you have someone whose willing to give you 15 dollars right now for this guy get him up on your Toy Shop!

11. cybeast

cybeast Well-Known Member

Can I request a pic oh him with Clobber as head? :D 

12. Zylly103

Zylly103 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Looks good.

I could see Carnivac as an on the cheap repaint too.

13. ServO

ServO Seeker (I look for stuff) Moderator

News Credits:
    My favorite figure of this line so far!

14. Autobot X

Autobot X Too broke for 3P and MP.

The gun will peg into his wolf belly, too. I like how it looks down there.

15. CountDrunkula

News Credits:
    You certainly can, but unfortunately, I don't have Clobber. Hopefully someone else will step up.

16. Lazerwave

Lazerwave My Most Prized Treasure

News Credits:
    I'm convinced.

I may even move him around to look like a Robotic Werewolf.

17. Snake_eyes1975

Snake_eyes1975 Peace through Tyranny!!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This is just a great looking figure in both modes. Very fun wolf mode. The idea of piloting a huge mecha wolf is really dope.

The gun is sweet, looks great on the wolf and the bot.

Wish the bot head matched the card are with paint. even my son noticed that. Very solid joints too.

18. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    love this figure. love that the wold head has the inner clear plastic. my only complaint is poor paint app for the wolf feet - sloppy. if u buy in stores try and get the cleaner looking ones.

19. Shlockwave

Shlockwave a.k.a Moronmaster

I was the opposite! I always preferred Skull to his other 2 headmaster teammates...but now I think I need to catch 'em all!

20. microclone

microclone Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Probably my favourite delux. Joints are tight and pegs clip in very well, compared to say skullsmasher he has higher quality feel somehow, the plastic and paint colours do not look cheap.
    The wolf head clips very nicely into position and the abdominal extension trick is very well engineered.
    It is cool how the wolf thighs are actually moved on the lower thigh swivel which gives perhaps a better set of positions for posing. The shoulder and hip ball joints works properly, easy to move but holds the pose well.

Overall he feels more like a generations incarnation from a few years ago, a bit more solid than the current figures generally.