Titans Return Chromedome w/ Stylor

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by bellpeppers, Aug 22, 2016.

1. TyrantGalvatron

TyrantGalvatron Hasbro is NOT your enemy.

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    I think this is the reason why I'm struggling with mixed feelings towards such a nice figure.

Besides the body proportions being too stubby, compared to his Wavemates who all seem so fresh and original, Chromedome almost feels like an afterthought because he's just a mishmash of Combiner Wars type engineering with some TR Blurr parts thrown in.

2. TyrantGalvatron

TyrantGalvatron Hasbro is NOT your enemy.

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    I could be mistaken but i bet you could swap out the waist/crotch piece and the elbows (the unpainted piece that ends up on the car door) between Chromedome and the Dead End mold.

3. Gepard

Gepard Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You can't, actually. At least not the elbows. The cut for the bicep swivel is different on the two molds; angled on the CW mold, straight on the TR mold.

• Like Like x 1
  4. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    Another thing is if you compare every TR figure with their original g1 headmaster figure they all feel like updates that are heavily inspired by their original figure except Chroedome.

• Like Like x 1
  5. openchallenge

openchallenge plastic based

CHROMEDOME04.jpg CHROMEDOME05.jpg CHROMEDOME06.jpg CHROMEDOME08.jpg CHROMEDOME03.jpg

6. Liminality

Liminality Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thought I would dislike this toy because I got so sick and tired of the Dead End mold but I just could not pass up Chromedome.
    After transforming him a few times, I was pleasantly surprised at how everything tabs in so well and holds firmly in alt mode.
    Just like the G1 version, Chromedome is a simple yet fun toy to play with.

My only gripes are that the car roof is difficult to open on mine, and that I wanted guns that are the same and pegged in the same way as the G1 version.

7. Digilaut

Digilaut Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Despite clearly being based on the CW Stunticon mold I think this one is my favorite of the wave. A nice chunky car mode and a cool robot mode. Perfect.

Put him next to my Club Chromedome...that one still works better for my MTMTE crew, but I like this one for many different reasons.

8. artiepants

artiepants Misses readable TF comics

News Credits:
    I think you guys nailed it, really struggling with this guy: i'd HAVE to go Takara, because no way am i getting that goofy out of place IDW batwing head, but just can't find myself justifying the mold for the reasons posted.

• Like Like x 1
  9. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    Is the IDW head really out of place, visually speaking, or do you just think it is because you know it's taken from a different source?

• Like Like x 1
  10. Soundwinder

Soundwinder I wind sounds!

Having no attachment to Chromedome (through either IDW or JG1), I like the Hasbro head more. Just looks more sleek.

Anyhoo, I broke down and bought it because I wanted a car Headmaster. And it's pretty solid. No surprises here, other than I am shocked at how much I love putting his guns together as a sidecar and plugging a spare Titan Master in there. Also, I had no idea the tires were clear. What a pleasant surprise! Maybe he'll hang out with FOC Soundblaster or some Velocitronians.

Only major flaw is carried over from Blurr, the fact that he seems to be carrying a missile for a gun. But since he has another gun, that's not a huge deal. I just consider the smaller gun to be a welding tool of some sort.

11. artiepants

News Credits:
    i find it really out of place because Chromedome (like the rest of the Titans Return figures based on the OG Headmasters) has a blocky, chunky Geewunny aesthetic and then you have this uber-stylized head bolted on. It sticks out like a sore thumb to me, like if you put a Prime-aesthetic head on a CHUG figure or a CHUG head on Animated figure (same reason i could never bring myself to pull the trigger on GDO Cliffjumper). It just doesn't blend to me. (much like T30 Tailgate who's IDW stylization makes him look like he's from a different series)

It's not that it's a different design or source, it's that it's such a different aesthetic ~
    You put the 4 OG G1 Autobots Headmasters together (or really, basically any Titans Return figures) and his head blatantly stands out.

plus, the way it sticks out past the blocky parts on the Titanmaster enhance the "mask stuck to a box" look, yet the narrow parts that let the red show through looks really janky and uncohesive ~ it looks totally kludged on there in a way that none of my other TR figures do (LG Blurr, SDCC sentinel Prime, LG Hardhead, SDCC Brainstorm)

the Legends version looks great to me.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2016
  12. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Just a regular old plumbus

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    I'm about here also. I don't like the whole 75% G1, 25% IDW thing going on. All of the other Headmasters I have are pretty much 100% G1, and I want to keep it that way. So I'm going with Takara here because they're 100% G1.

IDW uses too much of a Movie inspired angular aesthetic that doesn't gel with me.

13. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

image.jpeg Just realized yo can store his gun inside the cockpit. Sorry if already mentioned.

• Like Like x 2
  14. agp

agp Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The only complaint I have about this guy is the flip out hands with hollow forearms. I really wish they would try to avoid using that design. Otherwise he's pretty sweet.

15. Fallout

Fallout call me alabama i'm a seminole prize

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    this guy and mindwipe both baffle me because the rest of their subgroups are very much updated G1 designs and then these two throw a wrench in it, and it really stands out lol

16. dasaffe

dasaffe Morrissey Fan

This guy rocks. I love the transformation, the way he holds poses, head articulation, I'm even getting behind the weapons load out.

I'd like deeper elbows, and wrist swivels, but this is a damn near perfect deluxe as far as I'm concerned. Bonus points for being based upon my favorite issue of MTMTE. I thought about passing on this one because I have the Function X Chrimedome. Glad I didn't. It's a ton of fun.

17. Snake_eyes1975

Snake_eyes1975 Peace through Tyranny!!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I agree. this one is damn near perfect.. If someone asked me the kind of transformers Hasbro is making right now..this would be a great one to hand to them to show.

I guess you can nitpick the head if your into the character that much, but for me..this is the ESSENCE of transformers. Great Alt mode..Great bot mode..sturdy construction.and a fun TFmation.

I have all the deluxes except BS. I would have a hard time not contemplating this one for best stand alone deluxe of the line so far.

18. artiepants

News Credits:
    You think he's better then Blurr? (I don't have any wave 2 in hand yet, but Blurr is amazing IMHO, fits all your criteria plus actually manages to look dead on to the animation model in both modes, which is amazing to me.)

19. Snake_eyes1975

Snake_eyes1975 Peace through Tyranny!!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    All in all..like I said as a stand alone TF toy..Its hard to beat this one overall, imho. Blurr is incredible and very faithful to the character..not that this one isnt..but he is like an action figure in bot mode. I would have a hard time picking between him and Blurr..

20. cybeast

cybeast Well-Known Member

I really wish he doesn't have...what's that called? Elbow that looks like that.

I just kind of hate how the designer makes a simple hinge for elbow joint and say "That will do!"