Titans Return Brainstorm SDCC Version

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by AllSpark Ferret, Jul 25, 2016.

1. AllSpark Ferret

AllSpark Ferret hANDYman

News Credits:
    If you like Titans Return Blurr you'll like Brainstorm. They share the same basic mold with a few new parts. Brainstorm has a new face for robot mode other wise the Titan Master is the same. There are new, shorter covers for the fists in vehicle mode. The upper arms are new and each have two wings attached. The only other change is that Blurr's vehicle antenna is replaced with a vertical wing, which still folds in for robot mode. The transformation is the same.

There are slightly more paint applications than Blurr but a lot of the paint goes to the new jet front, which is dark grey plastic, painted light greenish blue. The fists are blue painted grey and the firearms are light grey painted dark grey with dark grey upper arms, partially painted light grey.

It's a shame there's only one vertical fin but otherwise, it's a good rendition of Brainstorm.

Attached Files:

2. AllSpark Ferret

AllSpark Ferret hANDYman

News Credits:
    Vehicle mode

Attached Files:

3. payres

payres Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Should have mine tomorrow, a box arrived at home today while I'm away and the only thing known to be in the post to me is the Titan Force set.

It'll be an interesting experience for me writing about it: I usually review a toy starting with the first version of the mould and continuing from there through repaints and remoulds. In this case however I don't as yet have Blurr due to ordering the the Legends version!

4. Rattrap Primal

Rattrap Primal Geek Overlord, Botbot Collector

Looks like I'll be retiring the Voyager Version soon

5. Rhinox555

Rhinox555 "The Maria Narcissa is a boat."

Facebook:
    YouTube (Old):
    Same here. Have Brainstorm, awaiting Legends Blurr. But man, I love this figure. The deco's very visually pleasing, all the joints are just right, and he's not backheavy even with the nosecone still attached to his back.
    As for the deco, Titan Force Brainstorm is more MTMTE-based than the Walgreens version, which is more inspired by the G1 toy. The Titan Force version is also slightly more detailed, with gray paint on the thrusters, white paint on the vents on the side of his nosecone, and a more complex paintmask used to leave the vehicle mode guns gray. Teslor has his visor and face painted seperately, rather than just painting the whole face area orange like the Walgreens version.

6. gbm

gbm Well-Known Member

So I'm out of touch with release dates lately....

When is this available?

....and when is it hitting Walgreens?

7. God Ginrai

God Ginrai Energon Enthusiast

The SDCC exclusives should be going up on Hasbro Toy Shop some time this week, and Brainstorm will start showing up at Walgreens within the next few weeks.

8. GoLion

GoLion Banned

News Credits:
    It's definitely interesting. Can you take a few comparison photos with the voyager version? And, if possible, the original version?

9. amd098

amd098 En taro Artanis!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    maybe now ill be able to get a voyager one for cheap...

10. payres

payres Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    the Titan Force set is starting to show up at Far East retailers and western shops that source in the Far East. Here it is at Robotkingdom

SDCC 2016 Exclusive Titans Return Titan Force boxset. Preorder.Start shipping on 3rd August 2016.

Mine, and I suspect the OP's given his location, came from

Transformers SDCC 2016 Titan Force 3 Pack - ID Toys

Walgreens version is scheduled to be with Robotkingdom 1st August

Walgreen Exclusive Generations 2016 Titan Returns Deluxe Brainstorm.Preorder. Start Shipping on 1st August 2016.

If things go to form it should start showing in the USA a couple of weeks after that

11. gbm

gbm Well-Known Member

Excellent, thanks!

12. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    The mold is cool but I think I will stick with my voyager one. I like where the nosecone goes over this one.

13. payres

payres Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The lack of removable nosecone guns is a big minus

14. Autobot X

Autobot X Check out my sales thread!

Right?! It's almost inexcusable. Almost. I'm still buying it. :D 

15. Soundwinder

Soundwinder I wind sounds!

It just looks so Gundam. I think I'm going to get it and repaint the head to resemble the Re-GZ.

Oh, how does it roll? Someone said Blurr rolled ridiculously well. How about this one?

16. ex dtw2003

ex dtw2003 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Blurr does roll really well. Actually surprised as the wheels aren't pinned.

17. OCProwl

OCProwl Autobot Dad

News Credits:
    Overall I really like this figure. I picked up Blurr before and was really impressed by the engineering. It's the same here yet they manage to make a pretty sleek looking little jet. Rolls just as well as Blurr too, yes.

Built-in flight stand mode:

[​IMG]

Comparison to Thrilling 30 Voyager Brainstorm:
    I like both. They are very different molds. Having not read the comics nor having the original G1 toy, I'm not attached to one representation of this character. The Voyager mold was one of my favorites from 2014. But so far, this Blurr/Brainstorm mold is ranking high on my list for 2016. I'm happy to have a Deluxe version of this guy to go along with the other Titan Master releases of the original G1 headmasters. But I still like the Voyager one too. I think the Titan Master headmaster is better though, especially since T30's headmaster arms are practically like a cape.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Comparison to "Regular" Walgreens Version Brainstorm (not released yet):
    I decided to get the SDCC version because the pics that surfaced last week of the Walgreens exclusive (yes, this is confirmed), the grey on the head looked really dark to me. Maybe it was bad lighting, I don't know. I also preferred some of the extra detailing on the SDCC version, like the fact that the tip of the nose guns are grey instead of the same color as the rest of the nose. See below from the TFW news post:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

18. artiepants

artiepants Transformers '84!!!

News Credits:
    Crazy that the vehicle modes don't look that different, but the 'bot mode is twice as tall!

that and the fact they didn't give it 2 tail wings (which looks TOTALLY doable) are what kill it for me. it's still not bad, just wish they had stuck the landing.

19. rosewater

rosewater Well-Known Member

Both of these bots do the character justice. They're both so pretty.

20. OCProwl

OCProwl Autobot Dad

News Credits:
    Having just handled both side by side I feel like the vehicle modes are quite different. T30 Brainstorm has quite large undercarriage from the arms folding up on themselves and the bottom half of the legs; whereas the Deluxe has a fairly low profile overall. Maybe my pics don't do this justice. :)  And don't forget that T30 Brainstorm was pretty freakishly tall even as far as Voyagers go. :)