Titans Return Alpha Trion

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by alteisen99, Aug 17, 2016.

1. GammaRay

GammaRay Well-Known Member

So maybe a weird question, but how difficult does it look like it'd be to saw the lion's horn off and sand the area down? I haven't found AT in stores yet but from the pictures it looks easy enough.

2. Lockdown91

Lockdown91 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Tbh I don't think it'd be too much work, each half of the lion head can be taken apart by taking out 3 screws, separating the pieces, and then you're just left with the purple bit that has the horn attached, making it more accessible and easier to cut off without risk of damaging the lions head itself, if you understand what I mean.

3. Mr.Deflok

Mr.Deflok Well-Known Member

News Credits:

This looks great! I'd keep the "ears" up though (personal preference). Just want to see if Takara do this as a premium paint-job would be pretty rad on this mold.

4. Lockdown91

News Credits:
    Anyone found any decent sword storage for robot mode?

5. payres

payres Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    There's two small clear plastic tabs on the cockpit canopy. These fit into the underside on the triple barrelled gun, letting rest on the cockpit roof in Lion or Ship mode or store on his back in robot mode.

6. Lockdown91

News Credits:
    Yeahhh but what about his sword? where can that store :p 

7. payres

payres Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Peg it into the back of his shoulder, his backside or the side of the leg via the peg on the side of the hilt.

8. Staredown

Staredown Banned

The bio on his packaging is so interesting it might sell me on him.

9. iacon45

iacon45 Missing: One Custom Title

News Credits:
    Just opened my Alpha Trion today. He has a few issues like the horns on either side of the TM port not wanting to lock in place when I push them down all the time and also some issue with the back leg lining up right in lion mode. But overall, I find myself really liking Alpha Trion more than I initially thought I would. I guess I'm just happy to finally have an Alpha Trion figure that was easier and more economical to get than a Botcon exclusive. :) 

10. payres

payres Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  11. Philister

Philister Teutonicons Rising!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    [​IMG]

Robot Mode: Alpha Trion is a Voyager-sized robots in the classic Alpha Trion colors of red and purple. While the body bears little resemblance to the character from the G1 cartoon, the paint job and the face more than make up for that. The head is clearly Alpha Trion with his silvery beard. So while not a perfect character resemblance, you can clearly see who this guy is supposed to be.

Alpha Trion is a pretty broad and powerful-looking fellow and the lion-head-halves on the shoulders make it rather evident that one of his alternate modes is a beast mode. The fact that he has a third mode isn’t easily apparent here, which I like. Articulation and detailing is pretty good and the paint job does bring out a lot of the sculpted details, too. For weapons Alpha Trion carries a big orange sword and a three-barreled handgun as well. The latter can also double as a gunner seat for his Titan Master (see below).

All in all I like this robot mode very much. It has no flaws worth mentioning, nicely portrays the character without being too slavish about it, and is just a fun robot overall. So two thumbs up here, no complaints.

Alternate Modes: As a triple changer Alpha Trion comes with two alternate modes, each paying homage to one of the previous Alpha Trion toys (only one of which was actually made, mind you). His first alternate mode is a lion, harking back to a proposed Universe Alpha Trion toy that was never released. The transformation is somewhat reminiscent of Lio Convoy, but more symmetrical. The resulting lion looks pretty sleek and has fully articulated rear legs. Sadly the front legs are pretty much just lower legs, which restricts their movement quite a bit. The big sword functions as a tail and there is a cockpit for Sovereign on top. All in all the lion looks good, though it is a bit hard to stop seeing its lower jaw as the robot fists. Still, a nice lion mode. Not the best beast mode ever, but good.

His second alternate mode is a space cruiser, paying homage to the 2007 Botcon Alpha Trion. It’s basically just the robot lying on its stomach, but the result does look sufficiently space-cruiser-y, so no complaints there. The cockpit is at the back of the cruiser and the gunnery seat plugs in before it, giving Sovereign two places to sit. The big sword can be fastened to the side. So while looking a bit tacked on, it’s still a good space cruiser mode for Alpha Trion. Not extraordinary, but okay.

Partner: Alpha Trion’s head detaches and becomes Titan Master Sovereign. Sovereign is a pretty typical Titan Master figure with ball-jointed shoulders and connected legs. He is, of course, compatible with all other Titans Return Headmaster figures as well, just like Alpha Trion can use another Titan Master as head as well (see the picture where he swaps heads with Sentinel Prime).

Remarks: Alpha Trion has been a staple in Transformers since first appearing in 1985, the wise old wizard (basically) who led the original rebellion against the Quintessons and created / rebuilt Optimus Prime. More recently he has been established as one of the original 13 Primes. His Headmaster… sorry, Titan Master Sovereign is also a rather long-lived character from Transformers. The current IDW comics have established that Sovereign was a Cybertronian deep cover agent who lived on Earth under the guise of G.B. Blackrock, a millionaire inventor (think Tony Stark) who was an ally of the Transformers all the way back in the old Marvel comics.

For all that he has been around for 30 years plus, this is actually the first Alpha Trion toy that is not a convention exclusive repaint (no, I’m not counting this guy). The toy not only manages to pay homage to both those exclusives, it also manages to be a pretty decent toy in its own right. I wouldn’t go so far as to call it a classic or a must-have, but for people who have wanted an Alpha Trion toy for a while, but were unwilling to fork over the money for the Botcon exclusive, this one here is definitely a good choice. Side note: a very, very extensive remold of this toy will see release as Broadside.

Rating: B+

Source: Transformers-Universe.com

• Like Like x 2
  12. Thelonicon

Thelonicon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If you do a side by side comparison, I really think it is more a case of they share some similar engineering for the lower legs and maybe a couple of the same parts (the feet and maybe the upper arm.) I know the line between "new mold" and "remold" can sometimes be thin, but I think over 2/3 to 3/4 of the figure is new. At that point calling it a remold is probably a stretch. (Personal opinion obviously.)

Either way, great gallery and review as always, Philister!

13. gbm

gbm Well-Known Member

Just got this bad boy....gotta admit, he's pretty darn cool indeed.

With no attachment to the character, he served as "I need my plastic fix" purchase, and I'm happy I did. (along with TR Soundwave and his minions) :) 

Gonna paint up Sovereign now and dot those lion eyes red. Pictures to follow....

• Like Like x 1
  14. KFGatri

KFGatri Madman with a Blue Box

Ebay:
    Out of curiosity, why don't you count the Takara Legends mini version? It's an excellent AT for a WST display. A big reason I got the Takara Magnus (rather than none) was the presence of Alpha Trion!

15. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Crossdresser Toy Collector

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    So I got this guy yesterday just for shits and giggles.

Honestly...he's pretty bad. But bear with me here. This figure is one that is full of sacrifices. The lion mode is compromised by the fact that it has to be a space ship also. The way the lion head has to be means the halves look very flat and two dimensional in robot mode.

The robot mode has compromised feet and the lion paws are just there with no clever or elegant solution to hide them. His space ship mold doesn't really look the part with a transparent bridge island structure, and its hard to ignore the first that is growing off of its sides like it is some kind of mutant half flesh half metal ship. Plus it just kind of looks like a slab and isn't very convincing.

But you know...I ended up liking it. This is a figure that is bad in all of the good ways. It's wierd and janky in a way that's charming and whimsical to me. The robot mode is pretty good proportions aside. He looks like some kickass, salty war vet grandpa who still has fight in him. The alt modes are bad but they do try and its the execution of them that I think is pretty fun.

Normally with bad figures I don't keep them but once in awhile a figure like this comes around that's bad in the ways I like.

16. gbm

gbm Well-Known Member

Just a dab of red on the eyes....and a smidge of silver and purple on the titan master. :) 

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  17. Philister

Philister Teutonicons Rising!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Personal preference really, to me he is but a tiny support figure, not a figure in its own right.

18. rego0012

rego0012 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Surprised me that I actually like this guy.

He looks much better with the front legs folded back around the gun seat while attached to his back. Without it his whole upper torso looks like a huge box

19. KFGatri

KFGatri Madman with a Blue Box

Ebay:
    Press the "deploy" button right when you get the horns all the way back down. The button seems to lock them in the stowed position as well as release them.

20. Driftx3

Driftx3 lord of all things robot

News Credits:
    I really like him. His " Fu-Dog" mode is awesome. And according to his card, he's the most powerful Cybertronian of all time.