Titans LIVE-ACTION Series

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Spiderus Prime, Sep 11, 2014.

1. nobleboivin

nobleboivin Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sounds cool but it might be hard to pull off with some of the characters especially Raven, Starfire and Beast Boy

2. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I love how moreprimeland just expresses excitement for the show, completely unphased by that idea but that's your first post. Fascinating really.

It's Teen Titans. It never has an overly male lineup.

3. femmebotfangirl

femmebotfangirl Banned

Have you seen Teen Titans Go? The gender ratio may be good but the female characterisation basically consists of 'stand around being a killjoy while the boys make jokes and have fun'. Its nauseating.

The last attempt at a Teen Titans comic was a complete misogynist disaster written by that utter creep Lobdell.

I love Teen Titans, I want this to be good but I have LEGITIMATE concerns about how the show will turn out. It's called being a critical, thinking fan.

4. Haloid1177

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Teen Titans Go is shit all around and has no bearing on this show because the basic idea is completely different.

It was a disaster even without the misogynist complaints, so again, I don't see why that's the primary focus.

You listed all of one concern, which you mention in every thread on the boards. Not a very critical take in my opinion.

5. femmebotfangirl

femmebotfangirl Banned

What are you even saying dude? First you criticise me for not being excited for the show then when I point out the poor record of Teen Titans lately you fucking agree.

Misogyny is my primary concern because a) concerns about the show being good are obvious and b) Teen Titans lately has serious issues with how it portrays women. I'm a woman, I have a vested fucking interest in this. In fact not just Teen Titans but literally EVERY live action adaptation of a comic property has had problems with how it represents women, some more so than others. It's a consistent problem and I'm sick of seeing my favourite characters fucked up because a bunch of creepy-ass men in their 30s to 40s keep getting jobs writing teenage girls and women.

God, it's almost like poor representation of women is some kind of cultural problem that spans various industries and permeated our popular culture or something, who'd have thought?

Or to put it simply:

I want this show to be good, but it will only be good if it gets the women right because women are vital to the team AND are a huge percentage of the fanbase. They are also one of the most frequently screwed up elements of comic book adaptations.

6. Haloid1177

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    My actual criticism was that the only thing you posted was the same thing you always post.

Sigh. Ya see, my point was that in the comics, the story and characters (all of them) were shit. It was a shit comic written by a shit writer. But the only piece you picked out of it was the misogyny angle, when my point was there were so many others problems on top of that issue that maybe it would be a good idea for the show to just be good first.

There is. But shocker, you really go about your approach in discussing it on here wrong.

Didn't see this when I quoted. First, if it gets the women right but everything else is shit, it didn't accomplish anything. That's my point. There is more to worry about with this adaption than just whether or not the roles of Raven/Starfire/whoever are up to your standards.

7. femmebotfangirl

femmebotfangirl Banned

Sure, because that problem is ubiquitous in popular culture. You're sick of hearing about it? I'm sick of fucking having to worry about it. Contrary to what some of you seem to think I don't actually ENJOY thinking of a 25% female cast ratio as good and hoping against hope my favourite female characters won't be sexualised and reduced to plot devices to further male characters development. I don't WANT to have to complain about this shit, I just want to be able to enjoy watching television, or a film, or reading comics or whatever. But I can't.

Maybe, I don't claim to be the worlds most eloquent feminist.

Sure, obviously it needs to get more right than women, but it still has to get women right. It's also possible to discuss my concerns for the show without having to reference all other concerns.

Here's the thing, I'v been so used to being disappointed by low gender ratios and poorly written female characters that while my first reaction to seeing a new show like this announcd is 'Fuck yeah!' the second 'Oh god what if they fuck all the women up'. This has happened through experience, it's not some ideological thing, and it can spoil otherwise excellent films and television shows.

8. Haloid1177

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    The irony is I don't actually disagree with your points, as it's something I more typically discuss with games but it carries over. What I'm trying to point out is on TFW, this is what you post all the time. I've never seen a post from you not contain this type of discussion. If you maybe actually varied your posts and topics instead of repeating it over and over, maybe it'll sink in more instead of just being considered "just shit you post."

I'm not calling you out the contents of your post, more so how you interject the debate on the boards.

9. femmebotfangirl

femmebotfangirl Banned

I really disagree, I do talk about fembots and female characters most of the time I give you that but if you go through my post history actual discussions relating to representation and feminism and whatnot are not the majority.

10. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    May I enquire as to what specifically you find wrong with the portrayal of the females in the GO series? I am a male, so I am probably missing something in this. And secondly these are teenagers, since when have they ever acted reasonably?

11. Spiderus Prime

Spiderus Prime TFW SpongeBob and TTV's MS 2.0

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
  12. femmebotfangirl

femmebotfangirl Banned

The general attitude to the girls seemed to be having them as a foil for the boys joke and silliness, so instead of being fun and relatable they were just kind of boring killjoys. Then there was Beast Boy ignoring Raven rejecting his advances and playing that ignoring of consent as a joke and lot. also the boys general attitude to the girls is really sexist at times. It's been a while since I watched them (gave up in horrified disgust) so i don't remember all the specifics.
    It's less them not acting reasonably and only allowing the boys to be fun and silly while the girls are boring and annoying.

13. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I actually get what your saying, and I agree I don't like that in general.

But we've gone offtopic long enough.

14. Lt. Faceless

Lt. Faceless I'm a puppet

I'm interested to find out more about this.I think i'd rather see Robin than nightwing(not that i like robin more),i think that would be a good choice.Nightwing is his own superhero.I could also see them going with Superboy(or work in a story for him).I hope this works out.

15. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Nightwing works in the Titans, he was introduced there, and led the team for almost 10 years as Nightwing before finally getting his own book. Not to mention serving as leader while still having his own book, before later moving on to the Outsiders and later the Justice League, not to mention becoming Batman.

16. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Yeah, 10 of the worst years.

The point when Robin became Nightwing and Wally quit the team marks the beginning of Teen Titans' downward spiral and extended blah stage. Judas Contract was really the Teen Titans' swan song. The entire rest of that series and the next few series to follow were kind of garbage. Up until Johns resuscitated the franchise.

17. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Actually I still enjoyed it up till Tim Drake became Bruce's new partner(but not yet Robin), after that the quality really started to drop, it was dead when they brought in the Team Titans and made Raven Evil. But really most books suffered heavily in the 90's due to editor decisions and the entire 90's collectors craze.

After Johns left the book it suffered as well, and except for 15 or so issues at the end of the old 52 hasn't been as good since. But then again we seem to be going back to the 90's era style stories and cover gimmicks. So history seems to be repeating it's self.

18. FanimusMaximus

FanimusMaximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Tara Strong as Raven or GTFO.

19. femmebotfangirl

femmebotfangirl Banned

I think I'd rather not see Superboy in the lineup personally, let them get Supergirl right in her show before introducing any more kyptonian characters onto tv.

I hope the show takes more inspiration from the Teen Titans cartoon and even Young Justice more than anything else. I've heard the new comic is getting good reviews though.

That would be awesome, does she do live action acting? I know she voiced Harley Quinn for her Arrow cameo but she didn't even appear with her back to the camera in the brief scene.

20. thatonefoo

thatonefoo Decepticon

News Credits:
    I thought the press release revealed Nightwing, Raven, and Starfire for starting team?

I hope they don't mess this up, realistically it cannot possibly go any lower than Go! so there's that.