Titan Wars Powermaster Optimus Prime

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by ChErikS, May 27, 2016.

1. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    Except it's shown here that you can transform PM Optimus without having to use the HM gimmick so if you don't like it you don't have to use the function. It's like how the CW Ultra Magnus figure had Minimus Ambus be an optional piece for those who hate the IDW concept so that you don't have to use him if you don't want to.

2. lordcryotek

lordcryotek Well-Known Member

The only ones I've seen hurt by the gimmick so far have been Galvatron (cause of his doofy tiara-mask thing) and bighead Blurr, most of the rest look pretty good to my eyes.

3. Goldimus Prime

Goldimus Prime Veteran

[​IMG]
    From the tfwiki:
    "The third version*[13]*would quite possibly have been the most gimmick loaded Transformer in the history of the line, simultaneously being a Powermaster,*Headmaster, and*Triple Changer. The Headmaster also would have been a Triple Changer, turning into a sort of armored four-wheeled rover (Roller II?) and robot as well as a rather silly looking Optimus Prime head with four vertically aligned wheels jutting off the sides. It seems that when the extra Headmaster gimmick was scrapped, the super mode head remained separate rather than being reintegrated into the trailer hitch such as on the earliest design. Notably, the body of this design is extremely close to the final design."

Its actually pretty close to what could've been long ago! Click this link toOptimus Prime Toys history and scroll almost to the bottom to read more.

4. SaberPrime

SaberPrime System Pride

How does that hurt the look of Galvatron? That "tiara" as you call it has always been a part of his design. It's one of his most defining features. He wouldn't look like Galvatron if he didn't have that.

5. Purple Heart

Purple Heart Pure Passion

News Credits:
    God of only.

6. lordcryotek

lordcryotek Well-Known Member

Well, yeah that design element has always been a part of the character an always should be, the way they designed it on this particular figure just looks like a kid dressed up as their favorite 90's wrestler wearing a tiara. He looks fine with the mask down.

7. SaberPrime

SaberPrime System Pride

No he doesn't... He might if the headmaster were actually painted as it was originally going to be. But it looks like the final version is going to have an unpainted head which means you kind of have to put that crown on to get the proper coloring as it covers the unpainted helmet that lies underneath.

Even if the helmet were actually painted I still think it looks better with the crown on. The details of the crown are molded into the base head but they're not as prominent as they should be. It's pretty much just the basic shape of the crown but it doesn't really stand out so it's easy to miss that the molding is even there unless you're looking closely at the head sculpt.

It would be better if he wasn't a headmaster so that the crown could be more pronounced on the actual head rather than being a separate piece but he still looks fine. I don't really care that much about the headmaster gimmick, I'm still getting him as soon as I can find one. If I can I might end up gluing the Headmaster to the mask and painting the rest of the exposed helmet to match. (It really only looks good from the front.) Of course before I actually glue anything I'm going to want to find out if the head will even fit in the cavity where the mask stores in cannon mode. If I can make it work I'll just go ahead and completely disable the headmaster gimmick, leaving him permanently attached to the figure in head mode. If not then I'm not too worried about it. He's going to be in robot mode most of the time anyway.

8. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    Power Master Optimus head was a seperate part even in the original. At least for the super mode which this is trying to copy.

9. microclone

microclone Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The original concept of the headmaster on PM prime somewhat explains why he has the floating head, I always wondered why the head was not at least attachable somewhere in vehicle mode.

It's always cool to see how a design evolved with physical/conceptual 'fossils' remaining that explain why something about the final toy seems a bit off, we can think of the diaclone seats in G1 tranformers in a similar way.

10. Goldimus Prime

Goldimus Prime Veteran

As I recall you can peg the head in to the inner leg, near the 'calf', and it thereby stores neatly inside the trailer. I'm not sure if its in the instructions, as that port is for his shoulder cannons in city mode, but thats where I'd put Prime's noggin years ago. :) 

Its cool to get a peek at this new PM Prime. Ten years ago I would've nabbed this, and fifteen years ago I would've gone beserk for it. These days I'm liking the drip feed pace of the Masterpiece line... But I do hope that seeing this toy is an indicator that its souped up more expensive brother is in the works somewhere down the line.

11. LoserBroadside

LoserBroadside Your ship just came in.

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Apex is a fine name for the Headmaster, but no love for bringing back Optimus Minor...?

12. Soundwinder

Soundwinder I wind sounds!

This complaint makes no sense considering G1 PM Prime was essentially a Headmaster... whose head didn't do anything.

Seriously, it's not like the G1's head did anything. You had to remove it anyway. At least now when you remove it you can do something with it. That's objectively an improvement. I mean, I can get the sentiment for some of the other random now-Headmasters, but this is a definite improvement.

But still. I'm on the fence on this one. On one hand, PM Prime was my jam back in the day. On the other... what's the point of a PM Prime with no cab robot? I just can't get excited for it without that. The allure of PM Prime to me was always "Prime merges with his trailer to become an even bigger robot," not "Prime and his trailer become big robot." The distinction is subtle, but it's definitely there.

I probably would've gotten it Magnus didn't exist, but I can't double-down.

13. Deadlift

Deadlift Banned

Doesn't count

14. Rob

Rob IDW FOREVER

News Credits:
    Well in the comic once he merged with his trailer that was it, he stayed in super mode, which makes practical sense. why would you intentionally make yourself weaker?

15. artiepants

artiepants Misses readable TF comics

News Credits:
    now, i can be a stodgy old man about historical preferences as much as anyone (making Prime + random autobots Combiners for instance), but i have a hard time with folks wholesale knocking the Titans Return line for making characters who weren't headmasters before headmasters now, i mean just in G1: Prime wasn't a Powermaster... until he was,, Blurr wasn't a Targetmaster... until he was, Starscream wasn't a Pretender... until he was, Hot Rod wasn't a Micromaster... until he was, NOBODY were Actionmasters until, unfortunately, they were. in other words, as throughout the history of the line, gimmicks gonna gimmick.

Don't get me wrong, i'd Prefer the Powermasters were Powermasters and the Targetmasters were Targetmasters, but i'm not so sussed about it that i'm not going to get some of these sweet molds, especially since they look great in robot mode which is how they will live on display...

16. ChErikS

ChErikS Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This... totally this!

17. LuciferX10

LuciferX10 Well-Known Member

I just want a damn updated Power Master Optimus Prime with normal Optimus Cab bot + HI-Q + God bomber (or just call the whole set God Ginrai). Guess I will wait another 15 years...

Dammit third parties, can you get on this, cause Hasbro will never. I mean, how is it we can have like 7 devastators (to include Hasbro) but can't get another God Ginrai???????

Xovergen was just "ok" but the God Bomber add on was just plain Crap.

For those that like this figure, I am happy for you.... but I feel this is a lazy execution of a power master prime.

18. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    This. I mean I'm not planning on getting TR Blurr and Scourge because I'm already content with the original Gen figures on my shelf, not because that I'm against them being headmasters. Hasbro isn't forcing people to buy them anyway so why bother getting so uptight about it? Just buy the HMs you want and leave the ones you don't like for others who do want them.

19. Starscream Gaga

Starscream Gaga Protoformed This Way

News Credits:
    I've said it before and I'll say it again, there is some delicious irony in complaining that a homage to Powermaster Optimus Prime, who was a new Optimus toy that was made into a Powermaster so that he could fit into the current line, is being made into a Headmaster so that it will fit into the current line.

They're essentially doing the same thing they did in the 80's to bring us the original Powermaster Optimus.

20. OCProwl

OCProwl Autobot Dad

News Credits:
    Yes and yes!

I for one will be getting this because I've been steadfastly buying all the modern updates to the figures I had as a kid, and I want my daughter to have it, and I think it looks cool regardless of anything else.