Titan Returns (Gen) Hotrod & Firedrive

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Starscream Gaga, Dec 1, 2016.

1. Starscream Gaga

Starscream Gaga Protoformed This Way

News Credits:
    Generations Hotrod

Wave 3 has been out in Australia for a couple of weeks now and with it comes new toys! I apologize in advance for the quality of the photos as I don't have my proper camera with me at the moment. Here's one of the major ones I'm sure people have been looking forward to: Titan Returns Hotrod!

[​IMG]

Hotrod, like his wavemated Twinferno and Triggerhappy, is an entirely new mold. Being a pretty popular character and significant character in almost every continuity a version of him has ever shown up with he's had quite a few toys over the years. Weirdly for someone like Hotrod (who has a pretty simply transformation scheme all things considered) he has had quite a few duds over the years so while crowded, the competition for best Hotrod toy isn't particularly fierce.

[​IMG]

Thankfully, Hotrod is a pretty darn good mold. He has plenty of articulation to give him the dynamic poses that befits the character and he's got all of the things we tend to associate with him since the 80's movie: red, yellow and orange colour-scheme, big spoiler, pipes on his arms, double guns... he may not have that special shade of red that always looks so good on Hotrod, but he does have yellow hands (well, orange... but it's the thought that counts), which is one thing I always appreciate them doing on a Hotrod toy. Of special note is that he has a port on the back of his waist that fits Tamashii stands (or the knock-off ones that are being produced by Takara nowadays). This is always a great thing to have in a Transformers toy as it greatly assists with the more acrobatic poses. I really wish it'd be a staple on all modern Transformers figures.

[​IMG]

Being a part of Titan Returns, Hotrod is of course a Headmaster. In Hotrod's case, rather than assigning a new character as they did with thing like Megatron, this just means his traditional partner Firebolt (Firedrive here for trademark reasons) has been given an upgrade (downgrade?) from being a Targetmaster.

[​IMG]

There's not really much that could be said about Firedrive. By this point everyone probably knows the drill when it comes to these Titanmaster partners. It's probably worth mentioning, though, that Firedrive is an entirely new mold actually based on Firebolt rather than (for example) how Blurr's Haywire was a simple redeco of Stylor. He unfortunately has no paint in robot mode.

[​IMG]

I unfortunately don't own the original Firebolt to compare it to, but that character has had another recent modernization in the assecory that came with the Hasbro release of MP-09.

[​IMG]

Hotrod's vehicle mode is pretty much what you expect from a Hotrod toy: a vaguely futuristic sports car with a giant spoiler. That being said, the transformation is one of those pleasant ones that, while pretty standard, isn't at all frustrating and can be done in a short amount of time. Honestly these are the types of transformations I like best because I can appreciate both modes... I don't just transform it once and say "well, I'm never doing that again".

[​IMG]

Firedrive can of course ride it Hotrod's cockpit, but Hotrod's two guns also combine together to give a kind of side-by mounted gun for him to ride in. There's further Titanmaster compatibility behind Hotrod's cockpit as there's two ports that correspond with those on the Titanmasters' feet so up to two toys can rid on his roof.

[​IMG]

Apart from that there's also 5mm ports by Hotrod's front wheels so you can give him giant cannons on his car mode or perhaps, I suppose, turn them around and give him four giant exhausts.

[​IMG]

So I suppose when you're talking about a new Hotrod toy there's two major things that you'll be considering: firstly how good it is in comparison to previous Hotrod toys and secondly what type of collection will this figure be going into. In regards to the first option, I don't think there's much arguing. This toy is heads-and-shoulders better than the Classics mold. There are some people that that swear by that mold and I just don't understand them. It sucks. Definitely replace it with this figure.

[​IMG]

The other toy that this one is in strong competition with is Cloud Hot Rodimus and I think that comes down more to preference. This is a mold has been made to be Hotrod whereas the Could version is a redeco-ed Springer. That being said Cloud Rodimus is just a beautiful figure with fantastic paint applications that just make it pop in your display... to say nothing of the fact that Springer is just a damn good toy. Standing next to one another they kind of look like Hotrod and Rodimus Prime, don't they?

[​IMG]

So I guess the preference comes down to three major factors: firstly, Cloud Rodimus was an expensive exclusive when it came out and now goes for pretty obnoxious prices, secondly he's pretty clearly intended as strictly the MTMTE character who has a spikey-er design than the traditional Hotrod and thirdly there's a good chance you'll be wanting to pose Hotrod with Springer anyway given there interactions in ficiton and as such you won't want them to have the same mold.

[​IMG]

While Cloud Rodimus may be my preferred representation of the MTMTE character, that's not to say that this toy doesn't fill the job! I can certainly understand people passing on the more expensive version for this dedicated retail mold and it is Hotrod. I'm sure many Lost Light displays are about to be greatly improved as they toss out the crappy Classics mold and replace it with this figure.

[​IMG]

I really like this toy and I think it's going to be a must-have for most people. I know some have a problem with him now being a Headmaster rather than a Targetmaster but I certainly don't! A harmless, fun gimmick is a harmless, fun gimmick and I don't think it detracts from the figure in anyway. Personally I'm looking forward to seeing what Takara chooses to with this toy: I'm hotly anticipating that beautiful shade of red either from the recent Masterpiece toy or Cloud Rodimus.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 1, 2016
    • Like Like x 11
  2. Wars

Wars Regular At Swerve's™

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I've wanted this guy since he was announced, but it's always been kind of a "Yeah, sure, I'll get him" want. But seeing your pictures makes me really look forward to picking him up when the wave three deluxes finally show up here

On a side note: I'm jealous of your UW Ratchet

3. Yaujta

Yaujta Split second of divinity... Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I still feel a little bile rise when I see a Megatron with an Autobot symbol...

Anyway, just picked up Hot Rod tonight. Wasn't going to, but figured I'd see if I liked it.
    Well, I DO! The bot mode has a lot of articulation and personality, and the alt mode is pure Hot Rod.
    I do wish the color was a bit deeper, and I'm one of the few not liking the HM gimmick, but it doesn't detract from this being a good figure.

• Like Like x 2
  4. unicronic

unicronic Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Good review thanks.

The classics mold was fine for the time but we've been wanting a better version for a while now.

This one is pretty good.

5. JohnRedcorn

JohnRedcorn Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    A foolish question, but can you transform it without removing the head?

6. Starscream Gaga

News Credits:
    No, the head is right where the hood ends up.

7. SharkyMcShark

SharkyMcShark Hi. I'm better than you

News Credits:
    I can't really get into this figure. I should be all over it but in hand it feels like the mutant child of a Generations figure and a PlaySkool figure.

There's just a lightness and hollowness to it that I can't get over.

Firedrive is also genuinely the worst Titan Master in the line so far in both modes.

It does photograph very well though.

As an aside, the car pieces that end up on the side of the legs fold behind the legs for robot mode (so the pipes end up on the rear of the calves).

8. Starscream Gaga

News Credits:
    There is always a mistransformation in my reviews. Always.

• Like Like x 1
  9. LoserBroadside

LoserBroadside Your ship just came in.

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    If you cut into the firewall behind the hood, I think you could definitely transform it without removing the head.

10. LoserBroadside

LoserBroadside Your ship just came in.

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    This is my favorite of the Wave Three deluxes. The transformation is so elegant.

11. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    Can you take a picture of robot mode where the Titanmaster's arms are swiveled down towards the neck? That would get rid of the teddy bear look that this, Astrotrain and the Titan Master Brawn heads have.

12. Necromaster

Necromaster FEAR ME MORTALS

News Credits:
    I can attest that this is a great figure. The alternate mode, colors aside, looks like it jumped straight out of the 1986 film and the figure as a whole is a humongous improvement on the Classics mold. Glad I got him.

13. chuckcjc

chuckcjc Wheeljack Engineer Corp.

News Credits:
    Considering most of the Titanmasters are not even painted, I feel he is pretty cool.

I didn't think he looked too much like Firebolt, but now that I see the Masterpiece version I can see all of the ques, and know how to paint him now.

I felt the Fireblast figure was also very close to "Brain of Courage" from Star Saber.

Any news on a Takara version on Hotrod?

• Like Like x 1
  14. Feralstorm

Feralstorm To Infinity - and Your Mom TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm definitely investigating that possibility once I get Mr. Rod. I imagine a more talented modder than me might even put in a hinge to avoid a big hole in the chest/collarbone 'shelf'.

15. SharkyMcShark

SharkyMcShark Hi. I'm better than you

News Credits:
    It's nothing to do with the resemblance to previous characters.

The bot modes have all been unpainted since wave 1, but this is first one I've come across than genuinely needs more paint in head mode. The fact that the robot mode is all flat great instead of two tone plastic doesn't help matters.

16. chuckcjc

chuckcjc Wheeljack Engineer Corp.

News Credits:
    Oh I see. Two good points. I was able to paint the little triangles on HotRod's forehead. and it improves it.

IMG_5148.JPG

I was referring to the other characters, because I want to paint mine, and want to get the colors right.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Starscream Gaga

News Credits:
    I know, right!? In other news I hear that Magneto is now an X-man! Like, What!?

Sure, I've got to retake the shots with the mistransformed legs so I'll take one like that for you too.

• Like Like x 1
  18. payres

payres Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The tabs on the underside of the combined cannon allow it to be mounted on Hotrod's engine block, like his Targetmaster could be.

19. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Blue=Sarcasm; Purple=Snarkcasm

I think I might hold out for Takara's version of this.

The mold looks fantastic, and I'm not usually a stickler when it comes to minor color things in toys, but I need a deep magenta Hot Rod.

I just hope I can get my hands on it when they do.

EDIT: I'll probably grab one of these for $15 as soon as I see it anyway, but there's a firm chance he's getting dumped for Takara's

20. pegasusprime

pegasusprime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    can you take a photo of him with a more traditional chest?