Titan Returns (Gen) Breakaway (Getaway) & Throttle

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Starscream Gaga, Dec 1, 2016.

1. Starscream Gaga

Starscream Gaga Protoformed This Way

News Credits:
    Generations Breakaway

Just a quickie, considering he's a simple new head on a mold most of us probably already own by now, but the last of Wave 3 to get a thread on this site is Titan Returns Breakaway.

[​IMG]

Oh Getaway... how fiction can change the reputation of a character. Once the utterly forgettable Powermaster and occasional running joke of Simon Furman ("He's called GETAWAY but he keeps dying! Get it!? Dur hur hur!") now he's best known as the manipulative usurper captain of the Lost Light due to his appearance in MTMTE... and nothing makes fans clamor more for a toy than an obscure character from the 80's suddenly becoming a major antagonist and so heres a Deluxe Getaway (Breakaway for trademark purposes)!

[​IMG]

Getaway is a pretty straight redeco of the previous wave's Chromedome with a new head. Honestly, his paint is severely lacking. Admittedly he looks better in hand than he does in pictures but there's no denying that he could have used a serious coat of paint. It's especially a shame when compared to the other toys in the same wave as they all got pretty darn great paintschemes.

[​IMG]

As for the mold choice... let me get it out of that way and say that the Chromedome mold is a really good mold. I just don't think it's right for Getaway. I can understand why an obscure character like Getaway would not get his own dedicated mold, my problem is that in the same wave as this toy is the Hot Rod mold... and he would've made a MUCH better choice for a Getaway retool. Seeing as neither toy has the same kibble placement as the original, Hot Rod atleast has the large shoulders, prominent spoiler and even an engine block on his chest where the original's Powermaster would've been. It's a major missed opportunity in my opinion.

[​IMG]

As a Titan Returns figure, Getaway is now a Headmaster. Getaway's Titanmaster partner is presumably supposed to be Rev (called Throttle here for trademark purposes), who used to be his Powermaster partner but he's unfortunately just a straight redeco of Chromedome's Stylor with a different face attached to his back.

[​IMG]

As you can see he has no paint in robot mode, which appears to be the standard for Hasbro's Titanmaster partners. Next to Haywire there you can really see the difference that the paint Takara puts on the tiny figures makes!

[​IMG]

Getaway's vehicle mode again lacks paint. Unfortunately not even the headlights have been painted, leaving the figure looking a little bit bland altogether. There are some things to appreciate, like the yellow stripe on the windscreen where the yellow "RACING" sticker was on the original toy and part of the hood being painted silver where the Powermaster was but still... kind of meh all around.

[​IMG]

Throttle can ride in Getaway's cockpit, or the larger gun can be attached to the car's roof via two clever tabs and then combine with the smaller gun to become a mounted cannon for him to ride in.

[​IMG]

I know it sounds like I'm being pretty negative on the toy... and I guess I am. To me this toy was just a major disappointment, especially considering he was a character I was really looking forward to. Takara may do something better with the colourscheme should the attempt this figure, but they'll of course be releasing it as their own Lightfoot and will likely have an entirely new head based on his character model... so there's not really much hope in the future. I can't not recommend the figure, because a lot of us need a Getaway for our collections and this is really all their is to offer apart from a Walmart-exclusive redeco of a Cybertron toy released in the '07 movie line... I just wish it was done better. To end on a positive note, the Chromedome/Breakaway mold IS a really good toy.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  2. Starscream 91

Starscream 91 Mech With A Mouth

News Credits:
    I don't get the hate for the guy. I like Chromedome but man do I see Getaway as an improvement, like I actually like his color scheme over Chromedome's for some reason (And I actually like the character more).

Sigh But I always do end up in the minority on things. Really hoping to find this guy and the rest of the wave soon.

3. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Content Contributor Veteran

News Credits:
    Agreed Gaga, should've used the Hot Rod mode! Crossing fingers that Takara does that.

4. artiepants

artiepants Transformers '84!!!

News Credits:
    hey @Starscream Gaga ~ i just posted this request over in the TR Appreciation thread, but i see up there you actually HAVE GoShooter ~ any chance of seeing a picture of what he looks like on Getaway's body? thanks!

5. Zylly103

Zylly103 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I do wish they'd found some way to remold a little more and include Getaway's rather prominent shoulders, but it's still a good looking toy.

6. herugrim

herugrim N/A

Ebay:
    Unpainted? He's supposed to be white. He is white. I see no problem with the paint apps.

Getaway looks nothing like Hot Rod. If they repainted hot rod as Getaway then you would be complaining because he's not hot rod, especially with them being the same save.

I skipped Chromedome because I bought not-Chromedome from fansproject years ago so I am happy to pick up this mold as Getaway/Breakaway. To Hell with the haters, he looks great and is long overdue.

7. Digilaut

Digilaut Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Easy now, your post reads unnecessary aggressive... :-/

Either way, I agree with Gaga. It's not that he's white, it's simply that he's lacking paint that would break up that wite. He definitely could've used blue arms and hands, for example. In my opinion.

As for mold choice: I think both Chromedome and Hot Rod can work, the latter more because both the robot and alt mode shapes seem to match Getaway's current portrayal in the IDW comics more.

To each his own, I guess. :) 

8. jametron

jametron Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE! Taste Kittens…

News Credits:
    A difference of opinion is aggressive? Ugh...

9. Digilaut

Digilaut Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No, but 'to hell with the haters' and saying someone would be complaining is. But to be fair, on a second read it doesn't feel that bad, guess I shouldn't read tfw posts with a sleepy head. :lol 

• Like Like x 1
  10. Starscream Gaga

Starscream Gaga Protoformed This Way

News Credits:
    By the same logic they could release a solid blue Thundercracker with no other colours because he was always blue, right? There are usually other colours to break up the main colour of a toy and make it more pleasing to the eye. This toy has major lack of anything but white. Just as an example the original had blue arms while this one certainly doesn't.

No I would not. Getaway looks nothing like Chromedome either, so it's not like "not looking like Hotrod" is much of an argument, but he shares much more in common with the Hotrod mold. As mentioned Hotrod features large shoulders, a prominent spoiler and visible engine block... to say nothing of the way that Getaway and Rodimus have similar vehicle modes in the MTMTE comics.

lol.

11. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Proud grandpa

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, some more paint would've really helped this guy a lot.

12. Large

Large Currently blablabla

News Credits:
    Oddly... I kind of like him. And did not anticipate that.
    Don't get me wrong, I agree with Gaga in every respect: Paint, not the ideal mold for the figure, etc...
    But for what it is... I enjoy him. It's just not Getaway, yes. He's... I don't know, his little cousin or something. Breakaway. And as Gaga also wrote, this mold is really a cool one.
    So all in all, I wish I had a proper Getaway, but in the meantime, I have a toy I enjoy fooling around with. Do I recommend it ? No. Not just him. They're a lot of better figures these days which desserve your money first.
    But if you end up with him, a gift or in a set, or you crazy rich (congrats!), you'll probably enjoy to play with the guy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  13. Zylly103

Zylly103 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I wish they'd been able to better incorporate Getaway's giant shoulder pads, but I also love the look of his head.

14. GoLion

GoLion Banned

News Credits:
    Blue forearms and a bit of red on the legs would have gone to fix the blandness of the figure.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    Yep. Definitely. I don't mind that he uses the Chromedome mold and while he is supposed to be white, he is still missing a lot of color his 80s toy had that his new toy should also have had.

• Like Like x 1
  16. FanimusMaximus

FanimusMaximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I got this guy because I was in mid hype because I was watching Masterforce for the first time.

He is an ok figure. A tad bit bland but it's ok.

Only gripe is that the guns stand out like a sore thumb on the vehicle mode.

17. Fallout

Fallout Banned

News Credits:
    long shot, but is anyone trying to get rid of his head?

18. pokemonsdoom

pokemonsdoom MadameVixen

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    uhh pop it off the neck

• Like Like x 1
  19. Galva12

Galva12 Galvatron's "YES" Men

I went out today looking for a newer wave, but I came across Getaway and picked him up because I didn't have him and he was one of my favorties back in the day. He needs more accent paint, doesn't pop. Plus his eyes are the same color as his mouth guard. My hope is that we get an updated Getaway with part three of the Prime trilogy toy line.

20. Acteon

Acteon Overworked

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Honestly, given the result, Getaway might have been better as a head-only release, as that's the major draw on this. I'm not a big fan of the figure in general, but Getaway's lack of paint and resemblance to anything particular to his design cues makes this a very lacking release in my opinion.