Tips on how you focus your collecting

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by MasterScale, Oct 30, 2016.

1. MasterScale

MasterScale Well-Known Member

Hey everyone! Just like the title says, I'm wondering if you all can give me tips on how you focus your collecting. I mean, I guess it's a personal thing anyway - I just want some grease to get the gears moving.

Keep in mind I have TF budget restraints (which is why I need to focus and not get everything I want. Not that I could anyway).

Also, I seem to remember that board user Maz had a blog article about his same topic, so if someone would link it in a post, that would be gravy.

Thanks everyone!

2. IgnikaMarcus

IgnikaMarcus Waiting for bite in sales thread.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Only get multiples of a mold if they're repaints, redecoes or remolds.

• Like Like x 1
  3. plastic therapy

plastic therapy Banned

Start with the main characters.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Thatotherguy

Thatotherguy Well-Known Member

Its all about deciding what appeals to you the most. It's easy to get caught up with completing a particular line, or faction, but often you end up with toys you really like mixed with toys that are there just to fill a gap. When you start judging toys based on their own individual merits it's a lot easier to be picky

• Like Like x 6
  5. plastic therapy

plastic therapy Banned

Making a list of the characters you want in a collection helps. For me it's seasons 1 and 2 and G1 movie. So that's all I have boughtt are from that lineup. It's helped me pass on a lot even though they were great. But you can only do so much

• Like Like x 2
  6. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Only collect one line.

I quit collecting anything outside of CHUG a while ago.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Fenrir Zero

Fenrir Zero Permanently Retired (1984-2020)

All I can say is the following:

1) Do your research, and compile a list on anything that you like.
    2) Try to see if you can buy any of the characters, themes, sub-lines, etc. from your compiled list.
    3) Start collecting while keeping your final list in check.
    4) Build on an exit strategy plan, as you will need this more than a "What is next?" plan.
    5) Do not let others have any influence or impact on your collection.
    6) Try building a collection that reflects your share of the fandom.
    7) Never stress over the idea of making bad decisions. Just have fun and build from those mistakes.

As an example, the current incarnation of my collection is based around the Japanese Generation One Headmasters. Namely the current stuff. No reissues, no vintage. It kind of saves me money, it gives me options I might like, and it lets me focus on things that matter to me as a fan. :) 

I hope this helps.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Imperator

Imperator Be like Optimus, wear a mask.

Yeah, I can relate. Okay, so here's how I do it:

First off, the golden rule: only buy the toys you actually want to have. Character is secondary - you might love Snoggotron in some cartoon from 1784 but if the toy sucks, it's not worth it. And on top of that, completing the set isn't nearly as satisfying in the long run as it seems to be at the time. Sure, the Snogglebots always fought as a team back in the show, but if you're honest with yourself, you only really were interested in Gluborr, and the others were just background noise.

Secondly, no third-party or Takaratomy, unless the price is comparable to Western prices. Sure, the deco might be far superior on Japan-exclusive Sunogguturon (or Alex Snog, as he was in the hilarious Philippines dub), but that painstakingly show-accurate deco comes at twice the price, and won't be released for another three months anyway. Likewise, the third-party version (named Frenchkissbot for trademark reasons) might look fancy in photos, but it's four times as expensive and has unreliable quality control.

Third, no redecos or minor remoulds. Yes yes, there's a new Snoggotron out now and it re-uses the Steelnose mould that everyone was raving about last year! Only... you already have Steelnose. And you love Steelnose! But other than a fresh lick of mauve paint on the alt mode there's really nothing different about Steelnose and Snoggotron. You already have the toy, you don't need that toy again. Essentially, never ever buy the same toy twice. I do relent when there's a significant remould at work - just recently I picked up Generations Jhiaxus when I already owned Legends Armada Starscream. But the two are different enough that I don't mind too much.

Fourth, only one version of every character. Oh man, there's a NEW Steelnose out... and this time he's got Gimmick(tm)! But here's the thing, if you were careful before, you already own one of the finest versions of Steelnose that has ever existed. Still a good toy, right? Then that's the one for you. Gimmick(tm) be damned, you have a definitive Steelnose.

Fifth, have a theme, or more than one. I think this is what you were after at first, but anyway. For me it's the following:
    • Decepticon jets (deluxe-scale). I love 'em to bits and it's fantastic building a huge, diverse air force out of the various incarnations of CHUG.
    • Third-stringer characters. Oh, there's a new Snoggotron out? Give me a break, there's already a gazillion of him across every different line. Miss this one, there'll be another on the shelves next year. Now, a one-shot character from a Marvel comic six hundred years ago that no-one remembers but me? Sign me up, baby.
    • Decepticon leaders. The more obscure the better. I'm still missing Scorponok, as there's not been a G1-esque Scorpy in a main line since Energon, but apart from that I'm doing pretty okay. Overlord will show up eventually. I further limit myself here by ignoring the various Japan-exclusive Deceptileaders.
    • No G1 Optimus Prime or Megatron. Basically the third-stringer idea all over again. They're the two most ubiquitous characters in Transformerdom, and in toy form they bore me absolutely rigid. And yeah, miss one and there'll be another two along in a month.

Finally... be prepared to bend or break any of these rules at any time. Yeah, I have three different versions of Unicron Trilogy Starscream. I have CW Alpha Bravo and Vortex. I have TakaraTomy's Straxus instead of Hasbro's Darkmount. But these are exceptions, not habit. And there's signficant reasons for each occassion (though not always good reasons). The one rule I stick to religiously is the top one, the golden rule: don't buy toys you don't want. Because that way guilt, regret, and empty bank accounts all lie.

• Like Like x 3
  9. PikaManiac

PikaManiac Well-Known Member

I have extremely strict rules for myself mainly due to my OCD. I only collect 2 Transformers toy lines; Encore and Legends (including their predecessors and successors).

1. I only buy numbered releases. TakaraTOMY toy lines are numbered, so I only focus on buying numbered releases. Meaning no exclusives for me.

2. I supplement TakaraTOMY exclusives with their Hasbro counterparts if they exist as a retail release; example, Henkei! Henkei! Thrust was released in the Generations toy line as a retail release.

3. I do not buy stupid repaints; example, Henkei! Henkei! Bumble was released again in gold paint in the United toy line so I skipped him. I also skipped outrageous repaints like Unite Warriors Grand Galvatron that do not make any sense to me.

• Like Like x 1
  10. GR1ML0CK

GR1ML0CK Dinobot Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Choose a path and stay with it. You cannot have them all so decide early on what you want to focus on. G1 mp only with a sprinkle of chug and legends for me

• Like Like x 1
  11. ma70er

ma70er HasTak/3P TF Collector, Gamer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    This one exactly.

It's what I did and still do with mine. I'm currently at 186 of the first 200 :ev: 

• Like Like x 1
  12. iacon45

iacon45 Missing: One Custom Title

News Credits:
    I'm trying my best to focus on certain lines (MP and Classics) but it's difficult to at times when another line puts out something that looks pretty decent. I made the mistake of checking out AoE and NuRID toys and ended up getting some only to sell them off later. Probably one of the hardest things to do is when you have everything narrowed down is to do your best to ignore everything else that doesn't fit. Easier said than done in this day and age of the internet and forums though.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Venixion

Venixion Evil Dust Bunny-con

News Credits:
    This is how I do things and some of them are general:

Compile a list of who you want. There ought to be good Identify Your Transformers websites somewhere, which is a great help for making a wish list.

Ask for price checks when going after older toys so your not overpaying. Perhaps someone has a pricing list?

Buy what you like, they don't hafta be popular/Uber expensive/rare characters or lines as long as You like it.

I personally set a limit as to how much I'll pay for a single toy and how much I'll pay for a Lot on eBay, etsy, etc.

Since you are on a budget, check out yard sales, thrift stores and swapmeets. You can find treasures for a steal when you least expect it and even if you don't, it was still a fun time.

I prefer to keep a Watched Search on eBay in order to find the stuff I want for a reasonable price.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  14. peddlerofwine

peddlerofwine Starscream's Robot Gun

If you have a budget, don't go MP! It will take you down a rabbit hole you don't want to go.

• Like Like x 2
  15. MasterScale

MasterScale Well-Known Member

Thank you everyone! All of your responses have been really helpful :) 

• Like Like x 2
  16. usernamedustin

usernamedustin Banned

Don't buy 3rd party stuff unless it is cheap or you completely love the figure. They are usually expensive and then nosedive in price once a Takara or Hasbro official version is announced.
    A very important rule for me is only one toy per character. My collection gets upgraded all the time. I started with CHUGs, but as MP versions are released, I sell off my CHUGs.

• Like Like x 1
  17. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

News Credits:
    Set limitations. Here's what I did for mine, as I'm essentially done collecting:

1. Only Masterpieces from Season 1 of the cartoon (official and third party)

2. Classics updates from only the first 3 years of the toys.

3. If you get an updated version of a character, you have to sell off the older one. For instance once I got Generations Springer, I sold off Fansproject Defender.

• Like Like x 2
  18. UndertakerPrime

UndertakerPrime Runnin' like a constipated wiener dog

I may be reiterating what's already been said, but here's what I've learned from experience:

1) Buy what you WANT, don't buy something because you feel like you have to. I have a huge collection of Armada/Energon/Cybertron that I have no emotional connection to, I only bought them because I saw them in stores.

2) Don't be afraid to experiment to see what you like. I tried MIB collecting for a bit, and decided it wasn't for me. I also owned a couple of Japanese G1 toys that were valuable, but as I didn't grow up with them I had no attachment to them and ended up trading them.
    As another example, I used to shun G1 Action Masters. Seriously, the concept is unfathomably stupid. But I discovered they're actually fun little figures.

3) Don't get caught up in collection numbers. I used to concentrate on having more TFs than others, regardless of what they were, especially after signing up for a collection tracking website like Shmax. But just buying everything felt like more of a chore; only buying a few, more meaningful TFs helped me appreciate each of them all the more.

• Like Like x 1