Customs: Tips for Diorama Building?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Syncrosect, Feb 17, 2013.

1. Syncrosect

Syncrosect Well-Known Member

I've hunted through the threads here and done some general searching, but I was wondering if anybody had any tips for diorama building. I don't have a very large collection, and I don't plan on it becoming that large. But I thought it would neat to display those few figures in battle scenes, amongst Cybertronian landmarks, etc., rather than just displaying them on shelves. I'm familiar with sculpting and some carpentry, so I'm not at all afraid of putting some work into it.

Does anybody here have any tips for starting out with this or links to tutorials? Heck, even if there's a thread I skipped over. It'd be much appreciated!

2. Wikkid

Wikkid Completely retired customizer

I've got a tut in the works but it's far from complete. I use styrofoam and hand laid body fillers for groundwork. Everything else structural requires styrene plastic or other building components.

3. Syncrosect

Syncrosect Well-Known Member

Thanks! That's actually similar to what I've been starting out with for the first one. I used an MDF base and I'm building up the landscape and rubble with some scrap styrofoam and wire for support. I'll probably need to include the styrene as I get further along.

Thanks for the input, and I look forward to seeing the tutorial!

4. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I'd recommend sketching your idea out with what you want it to look like and then start gathering materials that can be used to create the desired look. That being said, you can really sharpen your kitbash skillz here, as you can unconventionally search for parts that would otherwise be trash. Old circuit boards, plastic parts, metal shards, cardboard . . . nearly any material can be used as long as you can take mastery over it and bend it to your desired shape and look.

That being said, I'd also recommend selecting materials that you can work well with. For example, if you can paint plastic easily, select pieces that lend themselves to that more than say fabric, which may need dying for alterations.

5. Volney

Volney Autobot