times you got out of the Franchise and back in

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Maximus Danz, Jun 28, 2019.

1. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Lean Mean Angry Machine

News Credits:
    Left around Energon, got back around the first film, kinda sorta only partially in it ever since the end of DOTM because everything since then has largely been terrible.

2. Optimum Supreme

Optimum Supreme Go boom!

Got out as I got older. Didn't get any of the original Head/Target Masters, but did get a few Power Masters and even a few Pretenders and Micromasters and very few of the earliest G2. In the mid to late 90's I did chat a bit about them on Prodigy's message board, and because of that I wound up buying The Movie on VHS and the soundtrack on CD. Then I was out completely until I discovered the original RID and I've been back ever since. I never got into Animated, but did pick up an OP vs Megatron toy set.

3. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave Bounty Hunter

News Credits:
    Since I've become a fan of the franchise in 2006, my interest tends to come and go. I generally feel a stronger sense of "fandom" (if that makes sense) when there's something relevant to my interest. If something else interests me more, I might drift away from TF for a while.

In 2008, after the hype for the '07 film died down, I got really into Pixar's Wall-e, and kind of forgot about Transformers for a while. That's probably the most disconnected I've been from the brand since I became a fan. I didn't really get back into Transformers until the marketing for ROTF started kicking in.

For some reason, I kind of drifted away from the brand a bit in 2011. I was 15, and sort of felt embarrassed to buy Transformers toys. Well, I don't think I felt embarrassed as much as my parents were starting to frown on a teenager still buying toys, so I slowed down a bit. It didn't help that I also didn't really love the DOTM toyline as much as previous toylines.

During late 2015, I got more into Star Wars because of the hype surrounding TFA. I drifted away from Transformers a bit during those months, until the news for TF5 started coming in early/mid 2016.

4. kamuix

kamuix weeeeee

I was pretty much into transfers as a kid and high schooler, especially during the beast wars era. I went mad collecting every toy I could. All the new transformers that came out after beast wars didn't really catch my attention and it was during that time that I focused more with college. I think I eventually got back into the game when the first transformer live action movie came out. Kinda brought out nostalgia I had with transformers. I also got into the new toylines by hasbro and with TFW showing off 3rd party transformers, I was hooked. As of right now, its kinda a hit and miss. I'm still collecting the new line of toys (war for cybertron) and preordering a bunch of stuff, but the drive and excitement isn't as high as it was before. I think work is just draining all the fun outta me. I ended up buying less 3rd party stuff as well. I'm hoping to regain that excitement I once had later.

5. Shockwave81

Shockwave81 Protecting Cybertron from all hostile threats Moderator

News Credits:
    There was a brief lull for me circa 1995-1996, and another from 1999-2000ish...

Probably not lulls by some definitions hahah.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Maximus Danz

Maximus Danz Trying to achieve something

News Credits:
    I feel you, I'm going through that phase now.

• Like Like x 1
  7. PaxStarkist

PaxStarkist BAY-TALITY

Grew up with G1
    got outta that by about '87 / '88-ish
    by then It was Silverhawks, then Mario in '89, and Ninja Turtles in 1990-'91-sh
    then got into bands like Metallica, Megadeth and Nine Inch Nails
    then around 95-96-ish? I saw a glimpse of Beast Wars and thought it was cool
    that were CGI, but didn't warm up t the whole TFs as animals thing until abt '98-ish
    in which I'd caught up on BW before Beast Machines had come out
    around that same time I was also into Chucky, ICP and Xena: Warrior Princess
    after that, RID 01 kinda put Me for awhile with it's similarities to Pokemon
    (which I'd never really been into all that much)
    Then in 2006 I watched a dvd of a few episodes of TF: Cybertron
    and thought it to be worse than RID 01. Then during that summer
    I remember watching an episode of Entertainment Tonight where
    they mentioned the first live-action film
    (with a clip of Josh Duhamel saying "More Than Meets the Eye")
    at first I thought "Oh God... this is gonna look like Robot Jox"
    because I know what Hollywood likes to do when it comes to
    movies based on old TV shows (having seen "Dukes of Jessica Simpson" earlier that year)
    The 1st teaser (and Steven freaking Spielberg being attached) intrigued Me but,
    the Official trailer in December '06 is what sealed the deal and drew Me back in.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
  8. Applejacktimus

Applejacktimus Patron saint of lost causes

Left during Energon, came right back the moment it was over.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Saberclaw84

Saberclaw84 Defensor’s Servant

I've been in and out a couple of times, but have been back in now for about 3 years roughly.

The first time was through the 2007 movie. It was new, I was young and impressionable, and it clicked. Picked up my first figure at the time, which was the Deluxe Class Payload. My dad gave me what I though was an 80s-era Starscream, but was actually the GoBot Heatseeker (didn't know that until this year)
    I just kind of got bored and fell out.
    It was about 2009 when I purged most of my original collection including a Universe 2.0 Tankor and Payload. Fast Action Battlers Starscream and Deluxe Class Arcee were the lone survivors.

Then, in 2010, I got back in because ROTF was big and RTS was in full swing. Never bought any RTS figures, but caught the early days of Generations, which is when I got a Straxus and Cybertronian Bumblebee (I also bought a crappy shelfwarming Mudflap from ROTF). Then, Power Core Combiners came out, and I got four of the Commander Class figures for Christmas. Mudslinger broke out of the box, Double Clutch crumbled, and I broke Skyburst and Bombshock by accident. After DOTM, I got into Prime, and then watched up to episode 7, before I just kind of left again.

I spent 5-6 years refusing to look back, labeling Transformers as "cringeworthy" and "something I'll never look at again" while trashing on Beast Wars at the same time.

It was 2016 when I finally softened, due to talking with a now-friend of mine about it while at a school-related convention. I was intrigued, to say the least. I binged Transformers Prime, rewatched the episodes of Armada and Energon I grew up, and watched the '07 movie again. I bought my first figure in May 2017 (Titans Return Voyager Optimus and Diac, alongside Octone and Murk)

I hit my 50 figure mark January 2019, and am currently aiming to hit 100 figures by the years end.

• Like Like x 1
  10. ErickCruz

ErickCruz Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Old):
    I got out right after season 3. By then I was getting into video games. I kept tabs whenever the G2/G1 reruns began but by Beast Wars I was completely out.
    Watched some of the Armada and Energon episodes but could never remember what time they were on.

I pretty much came back early last year.

• Like Like x 1
  11. prowl07

prowl07 Well-Known Member

I grew up on G1 and went to BotCon twice but lost interest when I was in college. Masterpiece and Regeneration One brought me back.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Left after the first movie. Came back with Combiner Wars because holy crap, updated combiners! :D 

• Like Like x 1
  13. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde シン・ブリュンヒルド

News Credits:
    I didn't so much get OUT Of it, but I kind of zoned out during the Unicron trilogy, near the later half.

And then I saw the teaser for the first live action movie in theaters, and I was hard into it again ever since. :lolol 

• Like Like x 2
  14. Sunstorm9119

Sunstorm9119 "Ambitiose Sed Ineptum"

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Old):
    I left around the time that Actionmasters hit shelves, and Beast Wars got me back. Even when the cartoons were "Meh" ( Beast Machines) the toys mostly held my interest. Nowadays I'm just here for the Generations line, starting with Classics way back at the beginning of the "CHUG" era... The movie toys don't interest me at all..

15. fschuler

fschuler Post Count Inflated With Hot Air TFW2005 Supporter

I've been in and out a few times, come to think of it.

In: 1984 at the beginning of G1
    Out: 1989 no cartoon/too old for toys

In and Out: 1993...briefly...during G2

In: 1997 with the BW show (not the toys so much, though). I also gained a renewed interest in obtaining old G1 toys after eBay became a thing.
    Out: 2007...got burned out...sold most of my collection...still watched the Bay movies, though.

In: December 2017...saw TR Blurr in a store and bought him...fell down rabbit hole...

16. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've never gotten out completely but last year brought me close. I skipped all of the media again, only bought BW and 3P MPs, and most of the PotP I broke down and bought were just abysmal. My interest is off of life support again thanks to BB, 3P, and a few select Siege figures but I still think about dropping the whole series and moving on. The biggest thing holding my attention right now is my interest in toy robot engineering, which fuels the 3D printing hobby I hope to turn into a career one day.

17. Fafnir72

Fafnir72 Well-Known Member

Nevah!

• Like Like x 2
  18. Cryptwire

Cryptwire Cybertronian Engineer/Sniper

News Credits:
    Pretty much I’d never gotten out since 2007. I always think about Cybertronians these days.

19. Starscream 91

Starscream 91 Mech With A Mouth

News Credits:
    I've never really gotten out of the franchise since 2007, I've had my ups and downs though. When I first got into Transformers, Pokemon Diamond & Pearl had been out and had taken all my focus away despite making sure to watch every new episode of Transformers Animated when it aired. Even when I got into High School sometime when Prime was airing I didn't leave despite how hard I tried to hide my love for the franchise. Then lately I've refocused on Marvel & anime to where Transformers is no longer my number one favorite brand/franchise but never have I left and have no plans to even when I can't afford to keep collecting.

20. CryptiniteDemon

CryptiniteDemon Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I started with Beast Wars and stopped after Beast Machines ended. I tried sticking around for for RID, but I didn't like it and sold all the Transformers I had. I watched Transformers Prime, but still wasn't buying any toys until generations Rhinox came out. Was also about a year before Metal Gear Solid ended, so I needed a new thing fill the collector's void after that. I mostly stick to Masterpiece and higher end third party figures now. Just been making my way through the G1 show the last few months (10 episodes left to go).

• Like Like x 1