Timeless - NBC TV Show Discussion

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by areaseven, Oct 24, 2016.

1. areaseven

areaseven Live to Win

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:

Timeless
    MiddKidd Productions/Kripke Enterprises/Universal Television/NBC Television/Sony Pictures Television, 2016-2017
    Created by Eric Kripke (Revolution, Supernatural) and Shawn Ryan (The Shield, Last Resort)
    Running Time: 45 minutes per episode
    Rated TV-PG for violence and mild language.

Cast
    Abigail Spencer (Alice in Cowboys & Aliens, May in Oz the Great and Powerful) as Lucy Preston
    Matt Lanter (Anakin in Star Wars: The Clone Wars, Liam in 90210) as Master Sgt. Wyatt Logan
    Malcolm Barrett (Sgt. Foster in The Hurt Locker) as Rufus Carlin
    Sakina Jaffrey (Linda in House of Cards, Dr. Hickman in Third Watch) as Agent Denise Christopher
    Paterson Joseph (Wes Leyton in Law & Order: UK, Mark in Casual+y) as Connor Mason
    Claudia Doumit as Jiya
    Goran Višnjić (Dr. Kovač in ER, Armansky in The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo) as Garcia Flynn
    Matt Frewer (Max Headroom) as Anthony Bruhl
    Susanna Thompson (Moira Queen in Arrow) as Carolyn Preston
    Daniel Di Tomasso (Killian in Witches of East End) as Noah

Synopsis
    Multi-billionaire Connor Mason has created a time machine, but when master criminal Garcia Flynn steals it, Mason and U.S. Homeland Security assemble a trio to use an earlier version of the time machine to go after Flynn and prevent him from altering history.

Episode 1: "Pilot"
    Directed by Neil Marshall (Hannibal, Constantine)
    History professor Lucy Preston, Delta Force operative Wyatt Logan, and tech wiz Rufus Carlin are assigned to pursue Flynn to May 6, 1937, the day of the Hindenburg disaster. Upon their arrival, the trio discover that Flynn has prevented the Hindenburg from exploding, only to devise a more sinister plot for its voyage back to Europe.

Lowdown
    These days, sci-fi TV series tend to be too cerebral for most viewers to understand and sometimes too slow-paced. This is not the case with Timeless. The series keeps the plot simple and leaves complicated subplots to a minimum. Each episode is fast-paced, keeping audiences focused from beginning to end.

As for the characters, they are a very interesting bunch. Lucy is a history professor hoping to fulfill the legacy of her dying mother, only to discover that following her team's first mission, her mother no longer has cancer, but her sister Amy has disappeared from existence and she is suddenly engaged to a man she really does not know. Wyatt is a soldier still grieving from the death of his wife in 2012. Despite co-creating the time machine, Rufus is not comfortable with traveling to the past due to his being black. Garcia Flynn is a cold-blooded killer, but throughout the series, his role as the main villain turns out to be questionable when he first confronts Lucy and hints at the bigger picture of his motives. Connor Mason (a.k.a. Black Elon Musk) may be the owner of the time machine project, but he might actually be the real bad guy, as he has Rufus secretly record the team's activities.

The CGI effects are fairly good, but it's the set and costume designs that really shine. The producers spared no expense in painstakingly recreating scenes such as 1937 New Jersey, 1865 Washington, and 1962 Las Vegas.

In short, Timeless is a great throwback to time-travel shows such as Voyagers! and Quantum Leap, with a little bit of Back to the Future on the side. Good storytelling and a solid cast make this series worth watching on Monday nights.

Rating: A-

Links
    Official Site

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Chopperface

Chopperface All the Stars Are Closer

News Credits:
    Abigail Spencer is gorgeous and Matt Lanter is terrific. I'm interested in checking it out.

3. janeDoe001

janeDoe001 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Watched the first three episodes. There are definitely at least one trend in the series so far.

jD001

4. Omegashark18

Omegashark18 Combaticon turned Autobot

News Credits:
    I've watched every episode so far, I really like it.

I hope it does well enough to get renewed.

5. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

I like it, very by the numbers type of show, but it is still interesting.

6. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it! Moderator

News Credits:
    I've enjoyed this time travel series too, the CW can't have them all. :lol 

7. PrimeOQZ

PrimeOQZ Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My wife and I watch this show together. Not many shows that we do but this one is very good. So many mysteries and agendas.

8. areaseven

areaseven Live to Win

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:

And now for a quick recap of the previous episodes:

Episode 2: "The Assassination of Abraham Lincoln"
    Directed by Neil Marshall (Game of Thrones, Westworld)
    The trio travel to April 14, 1865, the day John Wilkes Booth assassinated Abraham Lincoln. There, they discover that Flynn is plotting with Booth to not only kill Lincoln, but to wipe out Vice President Andrew Johnson, Secretary of State William H. Seward, and General Ulysses S. Grant at the same time.

Episode 3: "Atomic City"
    Directed by Charles Beeson (Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles, The Vampire Diaries)
    Flynn travels to 1962 Las Vegas, where he blackmails John F. Kennedy's mistress Judith Campbell into helping him steal a plutonium core from the nearby army base. Meanwhile, upon the trio's arrival in the timeline, Rufus spots Anthony Bruhl, a member of the time machine project who was kidnapped by Flynn, only to discover that Anthony is a co-conspirator of Flynn's main objective: to destroy the secret organization called "Rittenhouse".

Episode 4: "Party at Castle Varlar"
    Directed by Billy Gierhart (Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., The Walking Dead)
    The Mothership's location is traced to an abandoned warehouse outside Oakland, but Flynn and Anthony evade capture by traveling to December 7, 1944, where they are suspected to give the stolen plutonium to the Nazis to end World War II. The trio arrive in the timeline and meet British spy Ian Fleming, creator of James Bond 007. Together, they infiltrate Castle Varlar to disarm the Nazi's V-2 rocket and ensure the safety of Wernher von Braun, who would later become instrumental to America's space program. However, Flynn has Lucy and Fleming captured by the Nazis at the party.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
  9. areaseven

areaseven Live to Win

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:

Episode 5: "The Alamo"
    Directed by John Terlesky

Rufus grows paranoid when members of Rittenhouse threaten to harm his family if he does not cooperate with them while Wyatt receives word that the NSA is bringing in another operative to replace him. Flynn travels to March 2, 1836 and makes a deal with Mexican President General Antonio Lopez de Santa Anna to help bring down the Texas Revolution three days before the original end date of the Battle of the Alamo. The trio follow suit and enter the Alamo Mission, but Flynn kills William B. Travis, preventing his "Victory or Death" letter from reaching Texas and the United States. Making matters worse is the Mexican Army waving the red flag to take no prisoners in their siege. Before the Mexicans begin their attack, Wyatt and Rufus must find an escape route for the women and children while Lucy must finish Travis' letter.

Next time on Timeless:

Episode 6: "The Watergate Tape"
    The trio must prevent Flynn from obtaining a key element of one of the largest presidential scandals in history.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2016
  10. moreprimeland

News Credits:
    Watched the Alamo ep tonight, didn't buy that killing Travis didn't make much, if any difference, and yeah everybody died, but upon returning to the current date, they look up the history on the netz and it's barely any changes at all. These people (both good and bad) screwed up a bunch of stuff... but hey, it's okay in the end.
    Okay it's sci-fi...... Screw history, but it's entertaining. :lol 

I did like that the team isn't breaking up tho, was more worried about that.

11. areaseven

areaseven Live to Win

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    The whole point was that Travis wrote a letter that motivated the Republic of Texas to rise up against the Mexican Empire and gain its independence (at least until it became a State). No letter meant no reinforcements; and no reinforcements meant that the uprising would simply fall and Texas would be Mexican instead of American. And without Texas, a lot of American history would be screwed over.

12. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

The battle of the Alamo took place 13 years too late and 28 years too early to have the Texan rebels be fighting either the 1st or 2nd Mexican Empire. Santa Anna was a dedicated Republican who helped over throw the first Mexican Empire and establish the 1st Mexican Republic. But like many Spanish American revolutionaries he believed the best government was a centralist military dictatorship. Hence the Texas rebellion. And the letter was designed to stiffen the resolve of the Texan rebels. Attracting more volunteers from the US was also an objective.

One thing that keeps coming up for me about this show is that most of Flynn's the plots to fuck over the Rittenhouse group that's backing the time travel corporation and the US government are kinda stupid. Like they're being hatched by someone with only a bad grade school history education. Like making the Hindenburg crash on it's return flight wouldn't have killed the US. Unless FDR, Truman, MacAurther, Eisenhower, Nimitz, Oppenheimer, Eeinstein, and George Marshall were on it. Which was not possible. The Alamo happening earlier wouldn't have crushed the Texas rebellion in the least. If Flynn wanted to do that and had a competent historian with him he'd have showed up before the battle of San Jacinto, where the Texan army under Sam Houston (or just kill Sam Houston period) defeated the Mexican army 18 minutes. Captured Santa Anna and got him to sign a treaty acknowledging Texan independence. You see the Alamo was not a major defeat for Texas. It wasn't the loss of a main force, or a major strategic point, or a boat load supplies, or any of the rebel army's main leaders. It was just a minor skirmish that happened to gain a huge reputation for what happened and who died. And letter or not that still would have happened due to Davy Crockett being there. Really the only plot so far that might have screwed over US history was Flynn trying to make the plot against Lincoln's cabinet succeed. As it would have left Secretary of the treasury Hugh McCulloch President. And eliminated Grant's Presidency. THAT would make a major change to the last 140 years. And that WW2 episode is complete fantasy, and idiocy.

13. moreprimeland

News Credits:
    I'm a history buff, won't claim to be an historian, but I've toured the Alamo, and related to the Travis name, so I was interested to see how they would treat his contribution, which frankly, they deleted... she wrote a similar letter and yet it wasn't supposed to have changed HIS history??? That was my point. Just bummed me out a bit.
    Yeah, they're playing with historical facts in each episode, and that's why I said, okay, it's entertainment, not the History Channel, which I would hope WOULD get it right, especially since there's no time travel to muck it up. :lol 

14. Starscream 91

Starscream 91 Mech With A Mouth

News Credits:
    Man between watching this and Frequency I've got myself two time related shows on! But Timeless is doing it better.

I'm a history nerd, so, I like seeing what parts of human history they go to (I want one on Titanic!). Also interesting how a lot of the times they don't end up saving history and its changed.

Still trying to figure out what the bad guy's plans are, nothing is making sense thus far.

Also watching the episode where they work with the guy who created James Bond. That guy played Robin Hood in Once Upon Time, damn it, I keep seeing Robin Hood and I still can't believe what happened to the character.

15. moreprimeland

News Credits:
    I had forgotten the James Bond creator, Ian Fleming, that part was done well... loved all of the 'title' dropping they did. :lol 

As for Frequency... the monotone of the female cop is doing me in... it's pretty messed up.

16. calvin0

calvin0 Well-Known Member

Google+:
    i watched couple of episode, pretty interesting...

17. areaseven

areaseven Live to Win

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:

Episode 6: "The Watergate Tape"
    Directed by Greg Beeman (Falling Skies, Heroes)
    The trio follow Flynn to June 20, 1972, during the Watergate scandal. A missing portion of President Richard Nixon's tapes reveals Rittenhouse's involvement and a mention of a secret document. After being nabbed by Flynn, Lucy and Rufus have five hours to bring Flynn the document to save Wyatt's life. However, Rufus is ordered by Rittenhouse to destroy the document once it is found.

18. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

Don't see how in away way they could do an episode about the Titanic...least not one after it leaves port.

19. moreprimeland

News Credits:
    Nah, think Titanic is on the back burner atm...
    they've finally figured out who is supposedly the big bad
    Rittenhouse
    all of them are reluctantly on the same page, but don't trust each other atm... now they gotta head to 1754 to stop the
    Rittenhouse
    organization from being created in the first place.

Thought it was interesting who her daddy was....is.

20. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    Binged all 6 episodes today. As with every time travel show, they cut a few corners to make the concept work within the boundaries.

There are clever moments, and some pretty f'd up ones too. Interesting show, I'll stick with it.