Time to feel old people: Today's Kids react to the original Game Boy

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Metroplex79, Jul 9, 2014.

1. Metroplex79

Metroplex79 Hey mouse, say cheese!

(not sure if this has been posted)

Kids react to the Game Boy
    Yes, THE Game Boy, not the DS, not the Game Boy Advance, not the Game Boy Pocket, not the Game Boy Color, but the first original grey brick.

-I had one as a kid
    -had probably 7 games (favorite was Terminator 2)
    -dad bought a rechargeable battery pack, so we didn't have to use actual batteries

I have 2 thoughts on how I feel...
    1. the kids have it way too easy today
    2. I feel old

But I do look forward to the day their kids laugh at today's awesome hand held gaming devices.

2. opt1musaber

opt1musaber Victory Saber's Recruit

News Credits:
    I still have my original Gameboy clear version. I don't think I'll ever part with it, unless it breaks or I have kids.

Kid: "I think the graphics are fine! Like what's the graphics?" LOL...

3. wheelnut

wheelnut Well-Known Member

ah the cream spinach color

4. Starscreamer95

Starscreamer95 Barely active here

News Credits:
    Watched it yesterday.

I felt old. I'm only 19.

5. MetalRyde

MetalRyde is an a-hole with a heart. RIP Spike and Mojo.

in my day, we only needed 150 pokemon and it was amazing!

6. Cracka J

Cracka J judas in my mind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    surprising some of them still liked it. most kids these days are so brainwashed by iphones, apps, etc that they would look at the gb brick and not even give it a chance.

7. Gretnablue

Gretnablue Well-Known Member

Yes this argument. Question, do you like films/books/tv shows/games that were made before you were born? If the answers yes, then what you just said is bull crap. What because I'm part of Generation Y I can't enjoy the original Legend of Zelda or G1? I know every generation seems to have this problem but this latest generation don't have a hive mind... shocking I know. They all have different likes and dislikes. My cousin play with my old Pokemon plushes and watches G1 with me.

8. koh4711

koh4711 King of Hearts

Ebay:
    I don't think the age of the system(and me) really set in for me until one of the kids say, "Yeah, I think my dad had this when he was a kid!"

9. jackgaughan

jackgaughan Banned

News Credits:
  10. Metroplex79

Metroplex79 Hey mouse, say cheese!

^
    Hahaha...I remember that.

I wish I could watch a video where some of the kids were playing some of the games of their own will rather than being filmed.

I am betting some of the games for NES, Sega (not Genesis), and Game Boy would still be addicting to today's kids. Though the graphics wouldn't be as modern, the challenge would be sufficient...as compared to today's app-styled games.

Even at my peak back then, I could not finish NES' Captain Skyhawk nor Ghostbusters 2 without Game Genie. Those games had simple controls, yes, but they were way more involving of your concentration than just flicking a finger on the screen.

11. thecollector

thecollector Will pet your dog

Wah kids don't like what I grew up with! Why can't everyone relive my life?!

They're children, if something really was great, they'll come around to think so when they mature.

12. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I think the best comment was when the... girl? was playing Tetris. 'I like it, but I kinda hate it at the same time!' Truer words have never been spoken about Tetris before.

13. Constructor

Constructor Behold my true form!

My very first game console was the Game Boy.
    Tetris was also my very first game, besides
    Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening.
    Many good memories with those games.

14. Cracka J

Cracka J judas in my mind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    if you are trying to tell me that if a gb and an apple iphone 5s are on a table and a kid gets to pick one they'll choose the gb, you are just being delusional.

of course some kids will go against the curve though. that's what I thought was cool. some seemed to dig it. just like some newer tf fans that got introduced to the brand through the bay movies are now MP collectors that focus on G1. some tastes and opinions change once they give something a chance. but like I said most wouldn't, and the lonely gb would be sitting at the table while all the kids grab a new iphone to play the latest version of angry birds.

15. MaxLinden

MaxLinden Deceptipunk

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I mean, if we were growing up with all these amazing gadgets like iphone, androids, 3DS of course we would go with the newer stuff.
    But gosh.... I love GB, I wish I still had my GBC.

16. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    The problem is that the really good books, movies, shows, etc. tend to be timeless. Age doesn't wear as heavily on them because the themes, messages and stories they tell can still resonate with an audience. With a piece of technology, it's usually going to be stuck in its time. There are exceptions, of course. Time has not been kind to the system. The original Gameboy and the games available for it are best left in their time, as they aren't even as advanced as many of the games that came before it (on home consoles). Though it was absolutely an innovator and forward thinking piece of hardware, the limitations present in it assure that new generations will never approach the appreciation for it that those who experienced its revolution will.

17. MetalRyde

MetalRyde is an a-hole with a heart. RIP Spike and Mojo.

after my nephew passes kindergarten, i promised my sister and her husband to only expose him to educational games. and from my collection, E rated, simple games like puzzle games and classic 2D side-scrollers. and of course i will educate him on the history of video games. after he learns to read and write

that one girl with the glasses tried to take the gameboy. :lol 

18. Dragonclaw

Dragonclaw Briefly the owner of KB Toys

News Credits:
    My son loves older games. When he's not playing Skylanders he jumps on HES Super Mario Bros or digs out my old Vectrex :) 

19. biscuits

biscuits Sin from Genesis

Watching just makes me think, "Damn, kids don't know shit about video games."
    When I was that age I knew all about that stuff...heck younger than that. I knew about all of the old systems and modern ones. It also annoys me when people call a Nintendo product just a "nintendo". I always remember people referring to their DS as a "Nintendo" and I'm just sat there thinking, "It's a DS. A Nintendo, DS. Please just say DS."

20. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

Yep, and it's kinda hard to feel old about all this stuff when kinda does feel like yesterday all this tech was still popular. The entertainment tech boom was so rapid in the last three decades that it all seems like a blur.

I dunno, post this again in another twenty years when I'm really old.