Time for a new continuity?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Maximus Magnus, Sep 7, 2019.

?

Time for a new continuity?

1. Yes

26 vote(s)
    56.5%
  2. No

20 vote(s)
    43.5%
  1. ErickCruz

ErickCruz Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    If you only saw the cartoon it ended in the 80s.
    Ask anyone who only grew up on the G1 cartoon what happened in any of the other series you reference and they'll look at you like your talking gibberish and ask when did that happen in the cartoon.

2. Primeultra

Primeultra Well-Known Member

Just because you didn’t read the conics changes noting in concern to which was the original continuity and what date it ended
    Have you ever heard the term “lack of knowledge is no excuse”?Same thing applies here, A fact is a fact regardless of when you learned about it

Baring any info that was added in later years, the original continuity ended in the 1990s

No they really aren’t

Headmasters, Masterforce, Victory, Zone, Battlestars ,Operation Combination, Alternators, Binaltech, Alternity, car robots , Beast Wars II and Beast Wars Neo, Robot Masters, and Universe 2003 are all part of the Japanese G1 continuity which is different from the Hasbro/Sunbow continuity

The back story of Beast Wars and Beast Machines were an amalgam of both the G1 comics and the Sunbow G1 cartoon, (they took parts from both the comic and the cartoon) meaning both shows are also not directly connected to the g1 comic continuity or the continuity of the g1 cartoon

Likewise the 3h comics seem to have been derived from the same amalgam continuity

3. ErickCruz

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I really didn't want to get into a whole thing because I knew there'd be a "Well, actually" Guy. Lo and behold.
    And I'm not gonna waste my time either, so if you can't understand my point ,which is very simple, then I can't help you. Fight/argue over any minutiae about continuity you want. Simple fact is for some TF was just the G1 cartoon. Which ended in the 80s. The comics told their own story. So that has its own continuity and I never disputed that.

4. Honorbound

Honorbound The Working Hermit

The question is, how many different spins can you do on those eight core characters? Take Grimlock. Whatever else I can say about Cyberverse, it proved that Grimlock doesn't have to be the same character in each series. None of them do.

5. B u m b l e b e e

B u m b l e b e e Bumblebee

News Credits:
    I somewhat disagree with this.

First we have Cyberverse, which is surprisingly good and offers a good step-in for new fans (particularly the new youth). The vast array of beloved characters and it's world building are some of the series' strongest suits right now.

Second, we have the new Transformers Netflix series in development, which is also going to begin a brand new continuity (albeit sharing inspiration from G1). For the older fans, I'm hoping we'll be in for a much-deserved treat. Or at least on the level that Prime was anyway. Additionally, the new Transformers video game by Certain Affinity may or may not tie into the Netflix show as well. So, there is extra content to look forward to. Oh, and let's not forget the Trilogy toyline? To where Siege has been excellent so far.

And third, we still have the future of the Transformers films to look forward to. What direction the franchise takes will all be coherently revealed in time...

• Like Like x 1
  6. Primeultra

My issue here isn’t that “for you” and maybe others G1 was the not the cartoon

My issue was that you were calling the cartoon “the original continuity” , which is was not

And while you might not have been aware of that in the 80s, I’m sure you do now....The G1 comic books predate the cartoon by several months

7. SG Roadbuster

SG Roadbuster SG Wrecker

News Credits:
    sounds like you're not a real fan then.

8. Primeultra

Now that’s bs
    Just because he’s cartoon focused doesn’t mean he’s not a true fan

Besides who are you(or anyone) to tell someone else that they aren’t a “true fan” or that they don’t measure up to your idea of a fan?

• Like Like x 1
  9. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking "Don't touch it! It's Zvil!"

News Credits:
    Sure. Look no further than the movies to see different spins on the core characters there as well.

But if someone is looking for something like Beast Wars - where only a few characters shared names and there was, initially, very little continuity with the core characters - then that person will be waiting for awhile. Hasbro is riding the core characters to the bank for now.

10. ErickCruz

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Argh you cought me. I'm actually a GoBots fan who secretly hates Transformers and collect their toys just so I can yell at them "You're not GoBots therefore you suck!"

• Like Like x 1
  11. Primeultra

Lol

12. Honorbound

Honorbound The Working Hermit

Yeah, you're only going to see the additional characters in smaller increments nowadays. Though I would argue that Cheetor codified the Bumblebee character archetype, and that both Terrorsaur and Tarantulas filled Starscream's role.

13. StrangePlanet

StrangePlanet G1

A re-boot creates a new continuity a lot of the time - those are often the same thing.
    Animated for instance. It's another reboot that made a new continuity.

I honestly have no idea what Cyberverse is about. Does that exist in the Aligned continuity like Robots in Disguise and Rescue Bots?, or is it something separate? Is that yet another continuity made from yet another reboot??

At this point I'd like to see them do a Spider-verse. Recognize that there are several alternate realities going on at the same time, and be able to travel between them. Have G1 cartoon Bee meet the Aligned Bee. And the Animated Bee. And the UK comics Bee. Great fun. A bit like the Story of Binaltech - I loved that one.

14. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

News Credits:
    Aligned is dead. Hasbro rightly took it out behind the shed.

15. Ramberk Magnus

Ramberk Magnus Well-Known Member

Yes, so people drop this topic.

You have movie-verse, whatever the current cartoon-verse, and Generations-verse. If you don’t like any of those three options tough luck.

Besides, what do you think a new continuity is gonna get you? Mirage is the supreme commander of the Autobots? Tankor is a Decepticon bus driver who gets framed for murder?

The formula is not gonna change that much.

16. tigatron2002

tigatron2002 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Cyberverse is essentially a perfected version of what the aligned continuity thought it was, it’s a new continuity that takes influence from everything that came before, primarily g1, the movies and idw