Time for a new continuity?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Maximus Magnus, Sep 7, 2019.

?

Time for a new continuity?

1. Yes

26 vote(s)
    56.5%
  2. No

20 vote(s)
    43.5%
  1. Maximus Magnus

Maximus Magnus Colonel, 19th Tank Regiment, 84th Armor Division.

So, more reboots and sequels/prequels to what we've already had? Or an entirely new story with new characters and concepts alongside our franchise Staples?

2. misfire19d

misfire19d Geewunner with some cash to buy toys

No. There’s enough infighting about which version of Transformers is the best/worst.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    We get a new one every couple years or so. I don't think we necessarily NEED one, but we can probably expect one.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Primeultra

Primeultra Well-Known Member

Haven’t you heard of Cyberverse?

• Like Like x 2
  5. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II The Pristine

News Credits:
    Yes!!!
    This franchise has been in dire need of leaving the path of eternal G1 rehashing for over a decade.
    More Prime, Animated and Cyberverse copies will only increase the infighting.
    It's time for something new and creative.

• Like Like x 5
  6. Honorbound

Honorbound The Working Hermit

Fandoms are gonna fight regardless of how many continuities there are.

I vote yes, especially if it doesn't slavishly follow G1. Back during the Classics/Unicron Trilogy era, G1 references were rare enough that they were appreciated. Now, it's oversaturated, with very little innovation.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Jochimus

Jochimus Sandwiches? Blimey, whatever did I give the wife?

We get a new continuity every few years, it seems, so that question IS kinda redundant.

I do agree that Hasbro should probably throttle back on the G1 rehashing, though.

• Like Like x 6
  8. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    No. We just started the new Cyberverse continuity. Lets let that go for a few years before yet another reboot.

LOL at the idea Hasbro will move on from G1. G1 sells. Hasbro is in business to make $$$.

Even IF they stopped being G1 reinterpretations, it will be the same character names. Optimus, Megatron, Starscream, etc. Even Beast Wars, RID01, Unicron Trilogy had their versions of Optimus & Megatron & other name-slaps.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Honorbound

Honorbound The Working Hermit

The core archetypes are going to remain regardless. That's not what people are asking to change - it's the surface and mid-level stuff. We want to see those core archetypes in new situations, we want to see new spins on those archetypes, knowing that with this particularly resilient franchise, it's safe to experiment because we can reboot down the road.

• Like Like x 1
  10. FAKER II

FAKER II Cheap Repaint

At this point I just don’t care. I got burned out on reboots. I’m less invested in the story when I know in a few years it will be erased and replaced with something else. What I like about the G1 continuity is how expansive it is. You’ve got Sunbow, Japanese G1, Beast Wars, Beast Wars II, Beast Wars Neo, Beast Machines, and Car Robots (but not RID) all existing in the same universe. I was invested because everything new built on what came before it. The Unicron trilogy wasn’t as big as G1 but still large enough to get invested in it. With all these one and done shows I just don’t care anymore. It also doesn’t help that I don’t like the cartoony looking aesthetics that we’ve had from Animated on up.

• Like Like x 1
  11. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking "Don't touch it! It's Zvil!"

News Credits:
    No. What we need is a definitive story from Hasbro that erases the multiverse and puts everything in its place. And then future storytelling can be built off of that.

• Like Like x 1
  12. IamaMeatRabbit

IamaMeatRabbit Well-Known Member

I think personally that after Cyberverse ends, Hasbro should just put everything into one continuity based primarily on the live-action movies (Knightverse) to capitalize on them. If they keep the more family-friendly tone of the Bee movie, the cartoons and comics could be a powerful multimedia tool.

13. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    It's always time for a new continuity!

14. Galvatross

Galvatross The many layers of human (and ogre) souls. Veteran

Only if it's a Shrekformers continuity with Ogrebots, Deshrekticons, Onionus Prime, Drekatron, Swampions, Ogrelord, Lord Farquaad, Drek's Head, Swampwave, Shrekage, and Dulockdown.

Otherwise, I'd rather have a continuation of something that takes things in a new direction.

15. halo4361

halo4361 Float like a butterfly, sting like a manta ray

YES. I feel like cyberverse is a bit of a wasted opportunity because it's so similar to g1. Pretty much everyone looks like they're from g1. I want something new and original, give me new characters and new designs! What I liked about prime and animated and even the unicron trilogy was that they did new things with the franchise. Like how in armada they were fighting over minicons, instead of dominance, or how in animated magnus outranks the primes. Or even in rid2001, where it was autobots vs predacons. I feel like the way they're going now is getting pretty dull. I'm not saying I don't like or don't want g1 to continue in its various forms, (toys, comics, video games, etc) I'm just ready for something new.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Murasame

Murasame

News Credits:
    As long as we get stylistically what we've been getting for the last decade, I don't really care.

17. CaptainSlayer

CaptainSlayer Bayfomer Fan

I'd love a show set in the G1 universe with very loose connections to Cybertron that follows either a small group of Autobots or Decepticons who were stranded during a mission, or constantly off doing recon with no contact back home and the series finale being them rolling up to Unicron munchin' on the planet lol.

EDIT: By loose connections, I mean like name drops. I genuinely would like a brand new cast.

18. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

News Credits:
    I voted "yes" simply so certain fans on this site would shut the fuck up about it.

• Like Like x 1
  19. That Guy

That Guy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Isn't that what Aligned was supposed to do originally? I think they couldn't make it work.

• Like Like x 1
  20. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking "Don't touch it! It's Zvil!"

News Credits:
    All that did was just add another universe. No, what I'm talking about is taking events from G1, put it in an official G1 timeline and then continue the story - or add to it - while wiping the slate clean.

Honestly, a Crisis event for Transformers would be welcomed and exciting. Imagine all the different incarnations of Optimus, Megatron, Starscream, etc all teaming up to defeat an all powerful enemy with the ability to alter time and space. The Legends manga kind of goes there - but not really. I'd like to see Hasbro do this - and then proceed with a singular rebooted G1 timeline from out of that.