Till All are One #10

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Chaotic, May 31, 2017.

1. incapable hulk

incapable hulk I am the Liquor

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    They need to move Starscream on. We've had years of him in charge, moaning, but with zero development of what he is actually shooting for or where the character is going. He's even right back to manipulating Combiners for shady means.

There's got to be a plot arc for him.

• Like Like x 5
  2. nobleboivin

nobleboivin Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Character development would be nice

3. YoungPrime

YoungPrime Herald Of Primus

News Credits:
    The plot arc brewing was Starscream vs Elita. And Leige Maximo's plot pending.

So I don't feel to obligated to explain why Starscream is manipulating Combiners since his intentions should be clear here.

It's strange because 4 months ago during that previous arc I might've had the same concerns as you. But IMO the last 2 issues have been brilliant so I'll give credit where it's due.
    So here were my favorite highlights:

1. STARSCREAM BEING PORTRAYED AS CONNIVING AND HEARTLESS AS EVER.

2. WINDBLADE TAKING A NEEDED BREAK

3. THE COMBATICONS HAVING A BIGGER ROLE THEN MOST COMBINERS LATELY.

4. A GROUP OF ROBOT SPIDER-LADIES INTRODUCED TO THE BOOK.

5. THE LOOMING THREAT OF MAXIMO.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
  4. Gammatron 64

Gammatron 64 Well-Known Member

I'm surprised that people haven't gotten to the real elephant in the room - that it's basically an issue about rape via brainwashing

Like fuckin' hell man that is some dark subject material and it kinda makes me uncomfortable seeing that in a book about toys for kids

5. Coffee

Coffee (╭☞ꗞᨓꗞ)╭☞

News Credits:
    I don't think I'd call it rape. Starscream makes it clear the brainwashing is just so Onslaught will notice Blast-Off's precense, not that it will forcefully make him fall in love, that's all Onslaught's own doing. He calls it a "nudge", remember. Even if it's the cause of the feelings Onslaught might develop, it's at least granting him the consent of the matter. The whole situation's still dark and nefarious as hell, but yeah, rape's a bit of a strong label to use for it.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Zawicki

Zawicki Wanna bewitch you in the moonlight

News Credits:
    This is Starscream we are talking about. He said "nudge" but I think he's lying. He just wants the combaticons under his thumb.

7. Megastar

Megastar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That my be good for her, but not the readers. When comic writers do these and i've seen it happen numerous times their either replaced or series is cancelled, this is nothing new in the comic industry.

8. incapable hulk

incapable hulk I am the Liquor

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    No, that much was obvious.

What I am talking about is Starscreams plot arc as a whole. Since becoming leader there's been no obvious thing they are building towards with him. There's no much larger part that we see him setting up or slowly putting the parts into place. He's just hovering around largely in the background of whatever Windblade or Optimus Prime have been doing. He talks to Bumblebee and tries to decide if he's good or bad, does something within the confines of that issue, then repeats this same thing over and over again. Early on when he started manipulating the various combiners, it felt like there was a grander plan or plot being hinted at and he was lining up the pieces - but it wasn't the case.

This isn't just about Till All Are One, it's a wider thing across the IDW comics that what started out as an incredible idea by giving Starscream exactly what he's always wanted, hasn't developed into anything. There's no longer a mystery of "what is Starscream truly up to?" it's just, there's Starscream, bickering with Windblade and then moving on to....bickering with Optimus Prime...and Bumblebee. But none of these interactions feel like they are leading to something bigger, like there isn't really a story to what Starscream is actually doing. There's nothing driving his appearances beyond being a supporting character.

I dunno, it feels like a massive wasted opportunity and I was genuinely excited at the start of it to see what he was up to. But it's been going on for years and it doesn't seem like he's actually up to anything. He's just there to add a bit of angst from time to time whenever they need it in an IDW book.

9. YoungPrime

News Credits:
    Agreed...
    Starscream, Blastoff and Arachnid = The Cosby-Con's.

Perhaps Robert's or Barber will establish a team of SVU-Bots to the rescue. But odds are they'll just settle out of court.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
  10. YoungPrime

News Credits:
    I think I get it, you're bored with the current way that things are going with Starscream. Again I shared that same feeling 3 months ago and lobbied that Scott needed to step her game up and it just so happens that this has occurred the last 2 issues.

Starscreams goal was to Rule/Lead/etc. he's accomplished that. And so like any other show or movie where the throne is in constant jeopardy, Starscream has been on the defensive. And if I'm not mistaken Starscream has never been one to be obsessed with creating mega-weapons or slaughter a planet unless it's in his way.

He's basically watching the throne and for the first time it's fun to read about. For me anyway.

• Like Like x 4
  11. DanC

DanC Delightful person

News Credits:
    ME: (making CW Blast Off and Onslaught kiss)
    OTHER TF FAN: Oh, you read the new issue, huh?
    ME: New issue of what.

• Like Like x 11
  12. Joey Slick

Joey Slick Whirl is a Transformer.

That would be awesome. Her art is way better than the person doing LL right now.

13. Autobot Hound

Autobot Hound Combaticon

News Credits:
    Maybe this is just my inner fan talking (Blast Off is a favorite character of mine), but that seems a little bit harsh. Unfortunately not entirely harsh, but I guess I see more shades of gray there for Blast Off as opposed to Starscream and Airachnid. Blast Off was given just a few choices, all of them bad, and I find his decision understandable, even though I totally agree it was wrong. But ultimately what got him to say yes was the thought that he could save Onslaught from himself (something he'd been trying to do for a long time)- and not wanting to be alone, or unconscious, and have himself and his team rot away into nothingness down in a lab somewhere (and maybe have all their minds manipulated or entirely wiped clean anyway, and then no one has any choice or chance of escape). The reason his choice is still wrong is because it denies Onslaught his own choice, so yes, I think we're agreed on that. I just think Blast Off was handed a raw deal and took the best choice he could make.

That said, I'm going to really be disappointed if this whole thing between Blast Off, Onslaught, and the mind manipulation is left unresolved. I thought it was an interesting quandary and I wanted to see how the Combaticons got out of it. They have always seemed loyal to each other (with the possible exception of Swindle) and it sure threw a wrench into the works. Now I worry we'll never find out or it'll be super rushed if it is addressed somehow.

• Like Like x 2
  14. WilyMech

WilyMech Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Not with Blast Off the choices were awful to began with. Starscream basically manipulated him in to a choice which all benefited one person. Blast Off woke up to Onslaught next to him. That this whole situation is a dream to Blast Off but most likely be a nightmare. Blast Off already had been violated by Starscream and the spider lady. Choices were given were meant benefit Starscream not Blast Off. I think Blast Off knows better it will be all more traumatic than it will be for Onslaught. Even if Onslaught feelings are genuine Blast Off will doubt them.

• Like Like x 1
  15. AnomusPrime

AnomusPrime Very sane, not crazy at all

I hope Blast Off would tell Onslaught the truth soon afterwards, that might be the only way their team can still stay a team.

16. YoungPrime

News Credits:
    I just don't see Onslaught liking any of this and view it as Blastoff working with Starscream no matter what.

17. Autobot Hound

Autobot Hound Combaticon

News Credits:
    Exactly. I even wondered if Onslaught might have foreseen something like this... he's smart enough to have known that if Starscream captured them he might use mind control on them. He could have even given Blast Off instructions on what to do, and how to play along, should he get involved in it. I could almost see some "safe word", lol, that Blast Off can tell Onslaught and Onslaught immediately knows there's shadowplay at work, or something. I don't know, but I was hoping to find out what they'd do next. Even if Onslaught hadn't given Blast Off instructions, I like to think- like you said- that this would not settle well with Blast Off and he'd either keep his distance from Onslaught (maybe tell him he's flattered, but Onslaught's his Boss and it wouldn't be appropriate- just some excuse to keep from taking advantage of Onslaught) or outright tell him what happened when the opportunity presented itself.

• Like Like x 1
  18. WilyMech

WilyMech Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Close estimation Onslaught will be pissed off at Starscream than Blast Off. I don't think Blast Off can maintain a lie and his emotional torment will be felt by all of them

• Like Like x 1
  19. DanC

DanC Delightful person

News Credits:
    I wouldn't bank on a great resolution, given that there's suddenly two issues left. But if I had to guess where it'd go with time? We've established that Onslaught is a brilliant (if psychotic) strategic thinker, combiners are unpredictable, and Airachnid isn't quite as good a mnemosurgeon as she'd like to be. It's a recipe for a time-delay explosion.

• Like Like x 2
  20. gregles

gregles quintesson

Fantastic issue. Scott really proving that without naff event interference she can write a compelling and sinister story that seems way more than a sum of its parts.

Its odd that in the past idw starscream has been such a letdown as starscream is nearly always the highlight of whatever cartoon he is in. Great to finally feel compelled, repulsed and entertained by my favourite backstaber.

I have to admit when I heard they was featuring airachnid I thought she would be cheap villain of the week dispatched with ease but it's great to see there is a whole lot more to her than that and they somehow managed to make her even more sinister than her prime appearance, well done for the troubling nightmares.