Minor/Repaint: Thundertron Head Mod (Painfully Simple)

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Thighmaster, Dec 12, 2012.

1. Thighmaster

Thighmaster Active Member

I recently got Thundertron, and while it's neat to have a space pirate, I wasn't too keen on his limited head movement. Given the groove in the top of the lion head it seems like Hasbro may have intended the beard to drape majestically over the chest. But that pie was too high in the sky and they opted instead to make it handicapped.

[​IMG]

The crux of the issue is a bit of transformation assist: a pair of circular grooves act as a track for pegs on the neck joint to ride as you pull the lion's head up and down. I imagine this was to assist transformation but the system doesn't allot the next to rise up to a good level. So by simply snipping the pegs away (cuts circled) the neck joint can go wherever it damn pleases. DANGER! ACHTUNG! NI NI BONG! This will make the neck joint loose. It can hold the head up by itself but it takes no effort to punch his head down into his chest. It's advisable to hit the joint with some Future or whatever you use to tighten your joints (I needed to do it for Thundertron's lousy hip joints anyway.)

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Enjoy folks!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  2. alondav77

alondav77 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    wow - thanks - i will try it on him too

did you use super glue for the joints?

3. Thighmaster

No, I use Future Floor Wax

4. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

having more movement is great, but i thought the beard was supposed to go under the beast head, and out the bottom at the waist. and it was supposed to be a really long beard.

5. Thighmaster

I'm basing my claim off the concept art, the coloration down the waist look more like the shirt in the illusion of his pirate "coat".

Plus who would stuff their beard all the way down their shirt?

6. Unicron9

Unicron9 Fan and customizer of the TAWYS

That thought made me laugh. I never noticed that it does kind of look like his beard is continuing down his gut. I'm pretty sure that's not what they were going for though, like ya said.
    Nice mod for fixing that crammed in head thing.

7. mk dio

mk dio MK-dio

cool. thanks

8. manyoufactsure

manyoufactsure Maximal TFW2005 Supporter

Nice find. I did it but in a different way. I drilled out the track. It required me to notch the one side of the clear blue mane, base, but the nubs you cut off can still help support it. I think the lower part you are calling his beard is there for part of the lion mane. They just painted it the same as the robot beard for his lion beard. That my guess.

9. Thighmaster

Yeah I agree, I think it's supposed to be the lion's "beard" as a continuous motif. Kind of like that Scar guy from The Lion King, how he has that bit of scruff to give the illusion of a beard. It works out nicely in bot mode to look like part of his "uniform"

And when I first investigated this, I also thought about notching out the groove to extend it. I was thinking to preserve the transformation gimmick while allowing the neck joint to "pop out". But then, as is most often the case, I was swept over by a wave of profound laziness and two snips later here we are.

10. crimsondynamo32

crimsondynamo32 Active Member

Do you think you'd be able to do a tutorial video on how you did this? I'm honestly new to the customizing business, so a few tips might help!