Thundercats!

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by VictoryLeo19, Jun 1, 2009.

1. kylekirwan

kylekirwan Active Member

Instagram:
    looks like its just a paint app ?

• Like Like x 1
  2. SmokePants

SmokePants Well-Known Member

So, looks like BBTS converted their Wave 3 preorders to Wave 3 minus Cheetara pre-orders.

Where's Jaga, though? They have an image on the front page of just Slithe and Cracker. It's holding up my Pile of Loot.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Jhiaxus

Jhiaxus Liege Centuro

Ebay:
    Jaga still says September on BBTS. He should show up sometime this week or next.

• Like Like x 1
  4. mark4flair

mark4flair Well-Known Member

Same here about holding up loot and I hope you're right about Jaga dropping soon.

5. Jhiaxus

Jhiaxus Liege Centuro

Ebay:
    Just got my Slithe and Cracker.

20210923_122628.jpg 20210923_122241.jpg

• Like Like x 14
  6. Creedog

Creedog Well-Known Member

I got mine today too. Been a long long wait for a new tcats figure. Slithe is by far the greatest Slithe toy ever made. His sculpt is amazing. His articulation is nice and solid, no loose joints, no seized joints. He doesn’t have a lot of shoulder or tail articulation, but it’s fine.

But his paint, argh. First off, for some reason they made his underbelly/face/hands blue. Why S7!? I’ve been looking at stills of the show, and I can’t find any where he is blue. Where did they get this from? It’s like Quicksilver part 2. It doesn’t show up great in photos, but you can see it:

0F9BD297-021F-41DF-ACEF-BABCFD0E1E36.jpeg

B9C00A96-F3BF-4A74-AA55-8198CB133C27.jpeg

And my copy has a TON of paint slop. This isn’t as big a deal, nothing new for S7, and I can fix most of this. But still, annoying.

14E94FA8-9E53-48E2-914C-1A328FA2A1B3.jpeg C2C9E5E9-5846-45E3-86F3-2102242E603D.jpeg 0C28E247-EA50-41B6-9284-EC1F7ECE072A.jpeg

• Like Like x 8
  7. Turnman

Turnman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thanks for sharing!

The blueish color was there since the promo pics:

slithe.jpg

But yours does look brighter. Might be the light.

Now the level of paint slop on an expensive high end collectible like this should not happen. Super7 definitely skimps on the factory.

• Like Like x 4
  8. Creedog

it’s not so bad in the promo shots (or even my picture, for that matter). In hand it is a lot of blue.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Pharoid

Pharoid Time Traveling Robot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Outside of those issues anything positive?

I would probably complain about the paint slope and try to get a new figure.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Creedog

i mean, I led with it’s the best Slithe ever made, and the articulation and joints are top notch. ;)  I just had problems with the paint. But overall, I’m super happy and thankful to have this guy. Especially with the super long break since the last “new” tcats figure.

• Like Like x 4
  11. Pharoid

Pharoid Time Traveling Robot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Wow I am a dummy. I missed the whole first paragraph of your post. Thank you!

• Like Like x 2
  12. SmokePants

I do remember having a sense of surprise at Slithe's colors when he went up for pre-order. That white skin with the blue wash is probably what was throwing me off. The ReAction Slithe does not have this.

I don't think I'm going to mind it. The colors of this line haven't been 100% on-model as a whole. But I am curious why they did it this way. And if the reason is stupid, I'll probably be annoyed.

EDIT

slithe-3569-normal.jpg

This is kind of close, but they just went overboard on the blue wash. Then again, if this is the look they were going for, the shade of green they used on the rest of the skin is wrong.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  13. kylekirwan

kylekirwan Active Member

Instagram:
    I dunno, I was watching a few episodes last night and he is 100% blue in the ones I saw.

14. Slave IV

Slave IV more wealth than you can imagine!

Which brings up a topic I love. How many people who judge colors of their figures based off tv characters are doing it on monitors that are even capable of displaying proper color gamut AND have them calibrated to do so? If your answer to either of those is anything other than definite yes’ to both, you might as well be picking colors randomly to match.

• Like Like x 1
  15. SmokePants

And the source transfer can affect colors and there is variance from one episode to another. But I suspect that if you're seeing Slithe with a blue belly, you're also seeing a blue shift in the dark green. A yellow belly Slithe would have yellow-shifted dark green hide. This figure seems to have a blue belly and yellow-green hide.

But it was in the prototype (though not as intensely blue) and nobody really complained, so that's what we get. I think I'm just partial to the yellow belly because the Slithe LJN figure was a mainstay of my youth.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Slave IV

Yeah, there are so many factors beyond what I started with that comes down to...I don't get why anyone takes trying to match what they remember seeing or what image they find on the internet of what they remember seeing so seriously. Unless you have an original cell that has a stamp of approval from the original makers stating that it is the exact color they intended, and if you care that much to match your figure, then you would probably be better off just looking at the figure and deciding, does that look good to you or not. If you like the way it looks, that's all that matters. If you don't like it just because it doesn't match some image anywhere other than something specifically approved as the exact color intended by the creators, you're killing yourself over nothing.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Creedog

Wait to you have him in hand, and realize he’s mumm-ra blue. Then you’ll be eating your words.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Slave IV

But what’s Mumm-Ra Blue really?;) 

• Like Like x 4
  19. Creedog

Lol

• Like Like x 1
  20. SmokePants

People experience colors differently. People remember colors differently. But that doesn't mean we can just abandon the notion of better and worse. That Slithe looks like he crossed over into Star Wars and latched onto the teet of whatever animal produces blue milk. If there exists some justification for that choice, it would allow me to eventually accept it as valid. Otherwise, it's going to feel like a defect in the product. I won't know until I have it in hand whether it's a forgivable defect, but no one has the free will to decide whether something bothers them or not.

I don't want to make a big scandal over it, but it is worth acknowledging. Slithe could have turned out better.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2021
    • Like Like x 2