Thrilling 30: No Animated or Energon?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Pravus Prime, Jun 22, 2014.

1. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    So, unless I missed it, there is nothing in the 30th to celebrate either Animated or Energon. Either as a mainstream release or as one of the 30 for the 30th figures.

Every other US era has at least one figure representing it, and even in the Japanese G1, you've got a cast member from Headmasters and Masterforce in the 30th! (Victory is also left in the cold, but it's somewhat understandable given how few people have been exposed to those characters.)

To be honest, I can't even think of anyone from Energon I'd like to see again, but nothing from Animated? That's just wrong. I may be a big fan of Animated and feel the slight more, but it's a popular segment that isn't too old to have gotten one figure; even if it wasn't purely done in the Animated style. Heck, they didn't even necessarily need to mold a new figure, there are several options from existing molds to have made an "unreleased" figure available, such as Thundercracker from the Starscream mold, Blackout or Wingblade Prime who got releases in Japan (Which I both purchased, but wouldn't fault for finding release domestically), or even for a very minor cost, a twopack of Hydrodive Bumblebee (Minus the absurd vehicle) and a redeco with a new head Wasp 2-pack.

Or go full out and give us a whole new mold Voyager Slipstream and cash in on both the femmes and Animated fans.

How does Beast Machines warrant a figure but not Animated?

2. Shockblaster

Shockblaster Well-Known Member

For Animated, I guess because of licensing issues that may arise since Animated is also co-licensed by Cartoon Network.

If I'm not mistaken, Cybertron didn't get any love on the Thrilling 30 celebration as well.

3. Starscream Gaga

Starscream Gaga Protoformed This Way

News Credits:
    There's Blitzwing for us Animated fans!

I think the problem is that Animated can't slot with Classics in the way that Armada, RID, BM and Beast Wars can. They're all significantly older then Animated too.

4. Boy Blunder

Boy Blunder Terrorcon King

Probably this. TFA has a very unique aesthetic, moreso than any other series, and would really... glaringly stand out if introduced in Generations.

5. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

News Credits:
    Wait, where's the Masterforce character?

6. Boy Blunder

Boy Blunder Terrorcon King

Masterforce is part of the G1 continuity.

7. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    Animated is now wholly owned by Hasbro. The release on DVD and other comments at panels shows that.

Cybertron got #13 of 30, Supreme Starscream.

That's probably as close as we'll get, but that's not a lot, compared to the other generations.

Doubledealer. Also not a great bone, but still.

8. Backpack

Backpack G1 forever.

It's a real shame there is no love for Animated in Generations. But, who knows maybe in a few years we will see one or two. Just look how long after BW we are still getting figures...... it will happen eventually.

9. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    Guys, are you all forgetting Blitzwing's face-change gimmick? I'd say that's a solid Animated nod (especially given the "insane" face is virtually the exact same one on both voyagers).

Plus, RtS Lugnut is pretty solidly just as much Generations material as he is movie material, given the toy's appearance in IDW's Autocracy and more blocky appearance compared to say, HFTD Highbrow. Sure, he's more realistically colored and missing the abundance of purple, but he actually has explosive punch action on both arms, which is unquestionably Animated Lugnut's calling card.

Then Lockdown's movie figure can count as Classics, given his pre-AoE version is literally just a redone take on the animated design (and his wavemate Ratchet's EMP can fit into the engine block's slot)

Finally, I know there's the TFCC Subscription Slipstream, who is supposed to be classics despite being a Prime Arcee repaint.

Animated has gotten a lot of love, at least for all its unique characters who made their debut in Animated. All the others, unfortunately, were takes on older characters who either are getting new versions of the originals or would be competing with the movie line (the cited reason why Uni. 2.0 Ratchet was the last wave is because of Ani. Ratchet being a wave 2 release), the latter being why Bulkhead, despite being quite the newcomer to being an established archtype, isn't getting redone as movie Hound is obviously exactly like him in appearance.

10. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Generations is apparently run by a hardcore G1 fan, and only threw in the few BW figs we got as a "bone" to BW fans. If he has to begrudgingly make BW figures, you can sure as hell bet he won't be touching Animated.

11. AKSpartan1661

AKSpartan1661 Cool Cat & Sub-Commander

News Credits:
    Well I can't comment on Enegron, but I hated Animated.

So yeah, I'm not sad.

12. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil Banned

News Credits:
    The generations line is run a massive Geewunner that wants only to remake the '84-'85 cast again and nothing more.

We will probably never see Beast Wars guys because of some bullshit how "kids don't want them" so really think of everything that G1 fanatics hate and you won't be getting that.

Then again he's also an ex-GI Joe guy so we'll be lucky is he doesn't run the toys into the ground.

13. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Handle):
    So basically, Hasbro is saving me money by having this one track relic running Generations.

But really though, Generations should be run by a fan of Transformers lore as a whole. Not somebody that loves one series and don't care for other aspects of the franchise. Kind of defeats the point of having a line call GenerationS.

14. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil Banned

News Credits:
    Honestly considering how awful the new design team is anyway, Hasbro's dead set on not getting any money from me anyway.

15. TheShockwave48

TheShockwave48 Kinda sorta artist

News Credits:
    There is also no Prime stuff. But, wasn't there a few Animated listings in that toy leak a while back?

16. Mechafire

Mechafire Shadow Broker Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Nope. The ex-GI Joe guy is not the G1 guy. I don't know who it is, actually. I'd heard his name before, but I forgot it. Tried too look it up, couldn't find it. But I know it's not the guy you're referring to (John Warden).

G1 guy could ALSO be an ex-GI Joe guy, but that's unconfirmed.

Should also be noted that I don't necessarily think this G1 guy is "in charge" of Generations, he's just one of the dudes on the team.

17. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    Those were left over from 2008, somehow, probably because they just weren't cleared out. IIRC it had the ISBNs for Animated Hot Shot and Maurauder Megatron, toys that were known to be canceled in early prototyping thanks to the Allspark Almanacs.

18. Killer Life

Killer Life Well-Known Member

So let me get this straight, the Generations line will only consist of G1 rehashes despite the line being called Generations?

19. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Armada Megatron & Sky-Byte begs to differ. There will probably be more items revealed at SDCC.

20. Mechafire

Mechafire Shadow Broker Moderator News Staff

News Credits: