Thrift Store

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Omega77, Mar 5, 2011.

1. Omega77

Omega77 Crystal City

It's been awhile. This is kind of two-fold. I was wondering if anybody has found some good Transformers at thrift stores like Goodwill? I found a leader class Brawl and just today, a supreme class Devastator at a Value Village. The Brawl is missing some parts, and the Devastator is missing Rampage and the Scrapper is missing a part. Other than that, very good finds. Brawl was $4 and Devastator, sold in parts, was about $10. The second part, does anyone know where I could find the parts for these guys? Thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  2. exclusacon

exclusacon Expert with the Scopes!

News Credits:
    Thift stores are like goldmines.....but it all depends on the location of the thift stores....meaning if you are in a more "suburban" area chances are, you gonna find some good stuff. Parts? Here on junkion I believe, tryna find parts in thift stores take sheer luck....

Thanks, I'm going to one today....

• Like Like x 1
  3. Moriarty

Moriarty = ♀

News Credits:
    I personally have not, but I do have a friend who found a Classics Bumblebee in a charity shop for £1.

4. Hollywood Hoist

Hollywood Hoist Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I once saw the body of a fort max for $10, but I passed, and for the life of me I can't remember why.

• Like Like x 1
  5. brr-icy

brr-icy MP Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    found a rot prime at one, looking for his feet and a wheel assembly for him now, and a jaguar alt ravage missing most of the parts

6. jerminator

jerminator Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I've found a buncha neat things at thrift stores here. But...it is hit or miss, feast or famine usually. So far I've found a G1 Bombshell minus weapons and with some chrome wear, a G1 outback who's in pretty damn good condition save for very light chrome wear and no gun, two halves of Energon Omega Sentinel at two different times, of course...with no headmaster, ROTF Prime with the bottom halves of his legs missing, a Cybertron Mudflap, and some other odds n ends. I passed on a leader Bulkhead for some reason last time i was in this particular store.

7. mykticon

mykticon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I find stuff all the time at the one down the street. My most recent was a bag of Battle Beasts and soem MASK Vehicles before. I bought a complete Hardhead in a bag for $5 once! I even got RID Prime and Magnus complete in a huge baggie for $6.00. Like others have said, it's mostly hit or miss, but when you hit, it's usually great!

8. AutoBobby

AutoBobby The Collector

I find a lot of Transformers at my local thrift stores,but the problem is they're usually missing parts,so a lot of times I just end up passing on them.Every once in a great while I'll find something good.

9. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    The Most Complete i got so far is BW TM 1 Cheetor with Tail Whip weapon.

10. John_Force

John_Force 16xNHRA Funny Car Champ

News Credits:
    I've found Galaxy Convoy, 2007 Wreckage, Cybertron Wingsaber and Beast Machines Optimal Optimus. I also passed on Animated Optimus and Megatron, because their joints were loose.

11. Sideways77

Sideways77 #1 flareup simp

News Credits:
    What are some thrift stores to go to?

12. Buster_Witwicky

Buster_Witwicky ALL HAIL KORROK

I got a Universe Cheetor for 3 bucks so no, I wouldn't say I found anything good.

13. VectorPrime404

VectorPrime404 Banned

Goodwill, Community Thrift, Deserette's if there's one near you, Veterans thrift stores, local independent shops... Basically, everybody but Salvation Army.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Swoop Dogg

Swoop Dogg Hi Yukio!

News Credits:
    Why?

15. VectorPrime404

VectorPrime404 Banned

Well, I wouldn't shop there, anyway. They sponsor groups I disagree with ideologically.

• Like Like x 1
  16. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

News Credits:
    Found a Classics Cliffjumper for $2 at a Goodwill. Also, there's a small town called Romney in IN that has a toy store that gets really cool things every so often. I was kicking myself for passing on a Tit Scourge there one time, not any more.

17. JIMIVEGAS

JIMIVEGAS Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i got a rotf fallen fracture at the flea market for $3. just missing the front bumper that turns into the weapon(if anyone has that piece, hit me up). in robot mode, she looks awesome.

18. Seeker

Seeker Time Lord

Ebay:
    In the past I've found G1 Hot Rod, Trailbreaker, Prowl, Skids, Tracks and Iron Hide. Most were a dollar while one was 25 cents. They were not complete but even a incomplete figure can run you a mint. Oh I also have a broken G1 Mirage.

19. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    Can we please not derail this thread with the off-topic opinions? And the commentary on Salvation Army risks getting this thread moderated/edited.

Yes. (And this topic has come up a few times in recent months -- do a forum search on "thrift.") My wife and I are both thrift store/flea market/yard sale junkies -- it was something we found we had in common within the first few weeks we started seeing each other. And my wife has scored some fantastic TF thrift store finds for me, like a complete Armada Unicron, G1 pillowcases, Energon Omega Supreme, and this vintage G1 tabletop pinball game:

[​IMG]

My hauls/collection thread is chock full of cheap finds -- my most recent one and one of my largest/best bargains to date is this $6 bagged lot of nearly 2 dozen TF movie toys.

Try the Junkion Exchange here on TFW as a starting point -- either post what you're looking for or do a forum search for what you're looking for to see if anyone already has those items listed.

The bigger chains have already been mentioned: Goodwill, Value Village and Salvation Army. But if you do a search on your area/region (Google: your city name or closest/largest city + thrift as a keyword), you might discover local independently-owned stores and ones hosted by churches and charities. For example -- besides the 3 above stores -- where I live (Atlanta-area) there are a couple dozen and a few of them are chains like America's Thrift, Atlanta Mission, and Last Chance Thrift Stores. And there are other indie thrift shops around as well. I also recommend CD Warehouse (CDWarehouse.com) and MovieStop (moviestop.com) for pre-owned DVD/Blu-Ray.

I shop regularly at Salvation Army thrift stores but have yet to score any TF-related merch there. Goodwill and America's Thrift have been good for most of my bargain finds, but I never go expecting to find TFs. Otherwise, I might as well set myself up for disappointment.

I also turned my thrift store visits into a hobby through my personal blog from the weird and horrible T-shirt designs I've seen over the years:

http://voxinsox.blogspot.com/search/label/T-Shirt Design Travesties

20. Ecmagee1984

Ecmagee1984 Big E

Ebay:
    I found G1 Ultra Mangus Cap and trailer at a goodwell.