Threezero - Transformers: RoTB - DLX Optimus Prime

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by iOnlyEatEnergon, Jul 12, 2023.

1. octobotimus

octobotimus Bad company ruins good morals

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    I mean there’s not exactly a time constraint on ROTF Optimus, had 15 years of lead up time to see what that head looked like.

• Like Like x 1
  2. GrimlockPrime19

GrimlockPrime19 I'm in my Prime

News Credits:
    I'd argue rotf head inaccuracy is mostly the color of the face and the lack of eye detailing. The sculpt looks accurate and good imo (there is also the fact the head should be bigger)

3. Georgii10235

Georgii10235 A member for fun

News Credits:
    Well yeah. But modifying the face to make it into a reproducible mold is probably time consuming.

The faces of OT Prime and ROTB Prime are full of pieces and gaps which they need to adjust.

Scaling it down into a figure requires work because the smaller a part is the less sculpt makes it out. Studio series figures have this problem for instance where they have to simplify face sculpt details.

Reason why AOE/TLK's face is so accurate and the others aren't is because the face isn't made up of as many details.

Just speculation on my part. I remember their BB Movie Soundwave prototype had a dead accurate headsculpt but the production version was inaccurate.

4. GrimlockPrime19

News Credits:
    That face is as much detailed as the other two, it just looks easier to comprehend bcs it's a more humanoid face. The reason they got him right was probably bcs they just reused some files of their Premium tlk Optimus and upgraded it

• Like Like x 2
  5. Georgii10235

News Credits:
    Final products vs initial color models.

op.png sw.png

ThreeZero can do accurate headsculpts, but when they go into production they use a different sculpt. Likely to do with production issues. Both OP and Soundwave have distinctly different helmet shapes and antenna designs.

6. GrimlockPrime19

News Credits:
    Ok but is Soundwave's accurate head the right one? The left seems way better to me

7. Napalm

Napalm Drinking About Robots TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Bee was definitely to do with GM licensing. Or lack thereof. The Camaro logo on the chest is even subtly changed.

8. Georgii10235

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

9. VVa

VVa If you don't Booyah back I want you dead.

Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    It's also the case for TLK Prime since the box doesn't have him licensed by Western Star. But he does have the slightly altered logo on his boobies.

• Like Like x 1
  10. octobotimus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Except they take years to actually make and release them, and they delay figures when they need more time. So again, time-consuming sure, but they literally have all the time a designer could ask for....

So really the only way this explanation would work, would be the sculptor making these figures just decided to give up.

11. Georgii10235

News Credits:
    Posted some images earlier and mentioned it at the end of the post you replied to. ROTF Prime's headsculpt seems consistent with the promo images from ThreeZero and the final version. BM Prime and Soundwave had different headsculpts between their prototypes/promo shots and their production versions. It's really odd, as you said it's less likely to be a time issue and more to do with design restrictions when it comes to making the molds.

Oh yeah, BM Arcee had two headsculpts and I think that was rectified very quickly.

12. The Mad Demobot

The Mad Demobot Well-Known Member

God the wait is going to murder me.

How the hell did it go from Odenton, but then decides instead of going straight down south to NC, it decides to go loop around to Georgia and then not change anything since the 23rd!?

God I hope its fine.

13. Wh1tebase

Wh1tebase Well-Known Member

Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I painted his face silver so it stands out more and just looking at the sculpt, its actually not so far off from accuracy.

Of course the upgrade replacement heads look better but i think threezero has done a good job replicating the face.
    20240602_110828.jpg 20240602_111340.jpg 20240602_121056.jpg 20240602_121103.jpg
    20240602_111211.jpg

Chilling in Stratosphere
    20240602_124247.jpg

Last edited: Jun 2, 2024
    • Like Like x 5
  14. Dreamcast

Dreamcast Well-Known Member

The improvements over Bumblebee OP show just how much attention to detail and Threezero care about the product. I'm a lifelong Threezero fan after this.

I cracked open the box and looked for these specific things which were IMO notable weaknesses of BB OP. ROTB OP has:
    Improved ankle side to side range.
    Improved neck range up and down.
    Improve wrist tilt, further supported by movable wrist armor pieces
    Improved locking joint for the drop down leg joint.
    If you're into posing figures then you'll know these specific things elevate dynamic posing to next levels. Ironman poses, superhero landing poses, deep crouches while looking upwards - they're all that much easier to do and better looking if the figure has these key articulation points.

When I first got BB OP I actually emailed Threezero to say I hope they improve on these specific things. I'm not saying they listened to me but I was just really hoping they'd make the changes and they did! The thing that impresses me most is they didn't need to do it. ROTB OP using the the old BB OP frame would have sold just as well because it's already amazing and Threezero has no competition in this space. But they made the effort and it's amazing.

I'm not sure if these things have already been mentioned in the thread before and I've not seen these things been said in any video review but it's absolutely worth pointing out.

1000029942.jpg

• Like Like x 6
  15. Georgii10235

News Credits:
    Oh yeah for sure. I think general consensus is that even if you're not a fan of this specific movie design, it's a huge improvement over the BM Prime as a figure. They definitely do listen, they made a more movie accurate scupt for BM Arcee before release too. Even before that I thought they were an insane company at the release of DLX BM Bumblebee, the price of these figures for what they are is nuts.

• Like Like x 1
  16. GrimlockPrime19

News Credits:
    Talking again about Threezero making inaccuracies bcs no one knows why, their worst imo was when they put those exhausts in the wrong place
    IMG_20240602_183425.jpg
    In the movie they are not this close to the neck and I it had less pieces, but here they made the entire piece different and it even prejudiced the head moviment.
    Screenshot_2024-06-02-18-38-49-775_com.google.android.youtube.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-06-02-18-38-36-526_com.google.android.youtube.jpg

17. octobotimus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Funny enough they actually are still using the BBM skeleton/frame underneath. It’s why the proportions are different to the film, and why his elbows don’t have more range.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2024
  18. Napalm

Napalm Drinking About Robots TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The skeleton itself has the range. BBM Optimus has ever so slightly better motion in the arms than ROTB Optimus. Subtle but there. It's the slight changes to the forearm armour that hinders the joint and if there was a spring or hinged panel within that armour you could get full range from both.

• Like Like x 1
  19. The Mad Demobot

The Mad Demobot Well-Known Member

I finally got Prime yesterday after that killer wait from the GA facility!

He's just incredible! The sculpt of the figure is so close to Prime in Rise of the Beasts, but as some said, he's a bit bulkier because it looks like he borrows the skeleton of their BBM Prime which I ended up loving as a combination of the two.

Prime's very tough, and it shows with the articulation. He can hold a grand speech pose and a fist in the air for victory like no one's business. They also hold firm in the right places so I hold him in one pose for a while(but why should I?!)

The one thing I have to complain about, and its on my copy, but the LED in the head doesn't work. Checked my batteries, they were good. I put them in the right spot, I checked to make sure the led unit fit in the head made sure the connections were tight, and kaput. No action. I even turned on the switch on the board once the batteries were put in and nothing turned on. The lights in the guns work great otherwise, and look marvelous. I got him shipped from ShowZ store, but should I give threezero a call for a replacement head.
    Sucks that I got a faulty chip after all that time, but honestly the fact he's here and looks so good is damn fine.
    [​IMG]

20. octobotimus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    yeah found it weird they never made those little panels on springs or at least hinges. Its odd how much articulation thee 2 primes have yet the elbows are weirdly limited despite having 2 joints.

One more critique I have with threezero is their ankles, BB prime's ankles are like the most restrictive part of him tbh.