threezero MDLX G1 figures

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Detroa, Jul 21, 2021.

1. artiepants

artiepants Transformers '84!!!

News Credits:
    no more interest in this then I do in non-transforming R.E.D. figures, but that is an amazing design and sculpt.

• Like Like x 1
  2. chaosMonkeyPoo

chaosMonkeyPoo Well-Known Member

I'm totally all in too but I don't think it necessarily "destroys" Flame toys. It's not going to have all the extra bells and whistles that Flame Toys usually has with all those moving bits everywhere (though Threezero isn't a slouch there) and loaded up with LEDs.

But I'll agree that what Threezero is offering is faaaaaar more what I want (both in terms of visual design and less of the moving panel and LED gimmicks that are neat once but I dont really want or need). The bang for your buck value will be hard to deny.

3. InfinityKitten

InfinityKitten Well-Known Member

I really want to like this guy, but the face really isn't doing it for me. Doesn't emit "Prime" energy in the slightest. Something to do with the eyes/brow/faceplate, it's all too thin and sharp.

May still get one though, articulation, paint and accessories are top notch. Love the axe and long blaster.

• Like Like x 1
  4. KylewithaC

KylewithaC Well-Known Member

Why are so many stock photos of optimus from various release positioned in a way that pushes his crotch forward. Photo two and five are really implying he wants some attention to that region.....do people pose their figures like that?

5. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's supposed to be a heroic stance, like in the movie:
    https://media.npr.org/assets/img/20...a4e6de45a65f43f96867f1d3dcaf509c12.jpg?s=1400

Anyways I'm all in on this line but I would prefer the visor/helmet to go forward a bit like some have said. Maybe there is still time for them to change it?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Music

Music Primetimus Prime

News Credits:
    YouTube (Old):
    I wish Flame Toys would actually have less accessories and things like that. They seem to unnecessarily drive up the price. I really like the Flame Toys designs and I'd get them but they're just so expensive. Threezero on the other hand is more reasonable if you want to collect multiple figures.

7. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I'd love a picture of how he scales with Bumblebee.
    Their other lines have a good general scale so I'm reasonably confident this one will as well.

I decided not to buy any of the RED line once I saw Bumblebee was the same size as everyone else.

• Like Like x 1
  8. cloudballoon

cloudballoon Well-Known Member

Optimus' head sculpt is more Fire Convoy than G1's. That's weird and my brain will need time to get used to if I'm collecting this line (which I don't).

9. bman29

bman29 Dancitron

Ebay:
    I am Bell-Bottomimus Prime. Leader of the Bell-Botty-Bots. And I send this message, the 70s fashion was pretty groovy.

10. Georgii10235

Georgii10235 A member for fun

News Credits:
    How are people not talking about these more? I think I would be TOTALLY into these if they were DLX scale and not MDLX. The designs here are absolutely something worth discussing about. They are my favorite outside interpretation of G1 in a long while - enough to get me back to posting (even tho Bee is a too yellow for my taste). The articulation and quality of ThreeZero is nearly unmatched.

These are also AFFORDABLE. Cheaper than some model kits even - hell, compare the Bee to the Flame Toys IDW Prime pre-built which was $70, the ThreeZero is just an absolute steal. I feel like ThreeZero really underprice themselves sometimes. Although, that's better for us and why I find it weird wishing for them to be KO'd since they're partners with Hasbro, not a subsidiary of Hasbro (AFAIK). If they don't do sell we just won't get these ever again.

I'm worried sometimes, but then again people buy Prime1 studio statues so I'm not surprised these do very well. But man, if you think about how much model kits cost in the size category you're practically paying for a very premium custom build at a affordable price with bonus die-cast using a well engineered kit. Their craftsmanship is something I admire and why non-transforming transformers have a place for me even if some are misses (R.E.D, older Revoltech etc.).

• Like Like x 1
  11. Nova Maximus

Nova Maximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's probably why they aren't talked about more.

They're just G1, but... again, with very little variety added to them.

Something we've had a massive abundance of as of late.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

If this was something else like an Armada Optimus and Hot Shot, than these guys would 100% be talked about more.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  12. Spinach

Spinach Well-Known Member

I bet later on they'll re-release the same designs from MDLX -> DLX -> Premium DLX... hahah... get us to bite small...

13. Georgii10235

News Credits:
    And I'm with you on that point. It's unfortunate, but most of the demographic if Transformers collecting are kids under 10 or are adults 30+. The generation that grew up with the Unicron Trilogy are the same generation that experienced the rise the video game era of the 2000s. It's also undeniable that G1 and the live-action movies are the gateway to the franchise nowadays so that's just what people recognize.

It's not a trend of LATE, it's ALWAYS been like this since the movies because it's simply what's caught on and has had staying power with nostalgia. My friend knows Beast Wars but could not name you a single series in the Unicron Trilogy. I DO want R.I.D, Armada, Cybertron and even the highly ridiculed Energon. That was my generation of toys - unfortunately you know who's responsible for such shows and ultimately the entire franchise? The Japanese.

Hasbro had a HUGE hand in G1, the movies and most shows in the 2010s. TakaraTomy however is PRETTY much the one that came up with everything else, NOT Hasbro. This is especially true with the Unicron series which was created in Japan then adapted to a Global audience. TakaraTomy VERY much prefers to keep to themselves (they make ALL the transforming toys, after all) and Hasbro is the one that gives licensing rights to all these other companies.

Now, that's not to say Hasbro CAN'T do it, but it seems like NEITHER have the interest to do so - proven further by the fact it's been nearly 3 years since they showed off that Armada Prime at Wonderfest in 2019. Unicron trilogy was very much a Japanese creation which is why it might not have resonated as well as any other shows made for the American market and Hasbro likely didn't feel they truly understood how to handle that segment of the franchise after the fact.

Brand recognition is important for corporations reliant on franchises that involve fictional characters so it makes sense for them to pick something and stick to it - I don't blame them either, I feel like Transformers as a brand peaked then stagnated after DOTM. It's unfortunate, but it's just the way it is. I didn't meant to go off on a tangent, but it's been a while since I was so passionate about Transformers lol.

G1 or not, these interpretations look AWESOME and I think there should be more discussion regardless - I believe people are more put off by the fact they don't transform than being G1 honestly. I also think G1 always acts as a base because it lacks all those details which later versions of Prime have hence all these variations of G1, while other versions lack variations - so there's an argument for it artistically.

A good amount of effort still goes into SOME of them. I hate when people bring up Bee movie Prime as being lazy or uninspired just because he looks G1 when there's clearly so much love for the character when being made, he's G1 in movie form and it's perfect. Compare him side to side to the G1 character art and I dare you to call it a lazy adaption. Still, it'd be awesome to see another version of Prime be re-interpreted by ThreeZero and Hasbro/TT otherwise.

Then again, it's non-transforming so I guess there isn't much to talk about other than 'hey, this looks cool' or 'I wasn't interested in R.E.D so not interested in this' or 'G1 again...'.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021
  14. THE-TRANSFORMER

THE-TRANSFORMER Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    These are fantastic.

Best threezero design yet. I was on the fence with Bee, however I'm now all in.

Hope we get some more characters other than the usual 5... Like I dunno, give us all the Dinobots? They'd sell.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Spinach

Spinach Well-Known Member

I wonder how the licensing works with TT/Hasbro... do they need a separate license for each individual character? or is it based on series... Maybe its easier to get license for major characters like OP and BB...

16. MAZING

MAZING Well-Known Member

I really liked how Bumblee turned out and have him pre-ordered. I'm having a hard time with Optimus because I just can't unsee the boot-cut jeans look. Not a big fan of the head sculpt either. It just looks odd to me with the eyes not recessed behind the mouth plate and helmet visor. Glad he's an option for those that like him though!

17. Georgii10235

News Credits:
    Yeah, he has a bit of a swim cap look to him which is the only thing that bothers me. I have the opposite thing where I can't unsee Bumblebee being in a yellow skin suit.

18. RodimusZero

RodimusZero Steezin fo no Reason

News Credits:
    I wish the arms were all red, not a fan of the silver biceps, but I’ll probably pick this up. I really hope they do a good job with Rodimus—I hate the coloring we often see on licensed Rodimii with the red instead of maroon or magenta, and those little chevron symbols on his shins and shoulders that were only on the original toy. Much prefer the cartoon colors.

19. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    I wish they’d hurry up and show Megatron

• Like Like x 1
  20. Wh33ls

Wh33ls Original G1 kid, and loves Beasties as much, eh!

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    It kinda is recessed, shown in these two pics;
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1