Thread for speculation on IDW Collection hardcovers

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Danforth, Nov 18, 2018.

1. Predakwon

Predakwon ...Green Lantern's light!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I hope the Joe/ROM/Micronauts/Action Man series are eventually collected in HC form though.

2. KylewithaC

KylewithaC Well-Known Member

Does anybody no if phase 1 vol 6 (bumblebee cover) will ever become available again? There was one copy on amazon for almost a year priced at 150$ and some on eBay. I have an order via penguin random house but its been back ordered since last April. Am I really going to have to resort to inflated used prices? I figured prints were limited because they stopped printing because they were shelf warming, but now you can't find it. Is printing delayed because of the pandemic or have any of you heard that they will not print anymore copies?

Do I need to jump on all the volumes following this one because they are stopping the printing for the rest as well?

3. gdg104198

gdg104198 Well-Known Member

Instagram:
    The preorder is sold out but BBTS says they will have copies in February (hey they got a week). So there’s has to be some additional printings of the IDW books hitting the direct market. I manage to snag vol 6 from somewhere. Doesn’t hurt to try smaller comic shops that are doing online orders. also some places do wish lists like midtown comics or instocktrades and will notify you if a book is back in stock.

• Like Like x 1
  4. KylewithaC

I have checked every place local and no one has them. So crazy I would not think out of all the things to collect that would be a tough one

5. gdg104198

Instagram:
    that one does seem to be scarce now. Later volumes often have that problem unfortunately. i got mine back in August from instock.com and they are now sold put of them.

Could always buy in bulk and sell 24 of them at cover price...

Transformers: The IDW Collection Volume 6

Last edited: Feb 18, 2021
  6. KylewithaC

I should have done that with the first stimulus check haha. I didn't even think of that nor have I seen that site! Good to know for later

7. Primal Consequence

Primal Consequence Active Member

Thanks to all for the direction on sourcing TF IDW collection HC comics from BBTS. I had just started and only had Vols 1,2 and 8. Managed to order Vols 3 and 5.

Much appreciated

8. KylewithaC

cheap graphic novels is a good site too

• Like Like x 1
  9. Primal Consequence

Thank you, I’ll check that one out as well

10. Andersonh1

Andersonh1 Man, I've been here a LONG time Veteran

Ebay:
    Anyone else get phase 2 volume 12 and notice that the paper is thinner than in past volumes and not quite as glossy? It's still quality paper, but noticeably not as thick. I wonder why the change?

11. JustAnotherCassette

JustAnotherCassette Lurker no more

I haven’t gotten that one yet so I haven’t seen it for myself, but based on your description the immediate answer that jumps to mind would be “cost-cutting”...

• Like Like x 2
  12. KylewithaC

My orders from penguin random house for IDW collections vol 6 & 7 phase 1 have been on back order for almost a year. They just canceled them. I’m starting to think I will not be able to complete phase 1 without paying at least double for each volume....

13. gdg104198

Instagram:
    maybe wait a year and see if another printing happens . graphic novel sales increased during the pandemic so a lot of stuff went out of print in the past 6 months (half of my instock wishlist is out of print). idw likes these hardcover books (pretty much the main format for their current Transformers reboot) and they are consistent sellers. I can’t see them keeping phase 1 out of print for too long when they are starting up the phase 3 books next fall.

14. KylewithaC

I like the optimism. I think you are correct. Hopefully the phase 3 sales are followed by an uptick in phase two sales and it motivates another run of phase 1.

15. Primal Consequence

I recently started acquiring the IDW phase 1 series, I’ll be keen for some reprints. Just need 4,6 and 7.

• Like Like x 1
  16. gdg104198

Instagram:

Phase 2 HC books are selling out. so sales are good. Graphic novel sales are up in general and theres a Transformers movie coming out next year so IDW would probably want to keep as much stuff as possible in print.

BTW these books were relatively easy to find (and frequently on sale) before War for Cybertron hit Netflix. There’s been a sudden spike in demand after that show premiered.​

17. KylewithaC

18. Danforth

Danforth Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Quick update of speculations, while I am so minded. :) 

So IDW are carrying on as if nothing is changing, with Phase Three V3 scheduled for an autumn release, featuring Kup on the cover, and containing Revolutionaries 5-8, Lost Light 8-12, Optimus Prime 7-10, and two doublesize one-shots: Ghost Stories (the "hey! Bumblebee lives!" annual) and Salvation, the last of the Dinobot trilogy.

At the time of writing we know that IDW is losing the TF license at the end of the year; that's all we know. So maybe the other hardcovers will carry on at IDW under license from either whoever the new publisher is or Hasbro themselves; maybe the new publisher will pick up the baton; maybe the final hardcovers will vanish forever into a lost future.

Anyway with some slightly chunkier-than-expected volumes lately, I now think we're looking at seven HCs in Phase Three total - i.e. four more.

Maybe something like:

Ph3V4: 14.5 issues, early 2023
    TAAO Annual }
    TAAO Annual } - Double-size special
    First Strike 1 (and 0)
    First Strike Optimus Prime
    First Strike 2
    First Strike 3
    First Strike 4
    First Strike 5
    First Strike 6
    First Strike Transformers
    OP 11: Primeless - Part one
    OP 12: Primeless - Part two
    OP 13: The dead come home - Part one
    OP 14: The dead come home - Part two

Ph3V5: 15 issues, late 2023
    OP Annual: Starscream the movie }
    OP Annual: Starscream the movie } - Double-size special
    TF v ROM Shining Armour 1
    TF v ROM Shining Armour 2
    TF v ROM Shining Armour 3
    TF v ROM Shining Armour 4
    TF v ROM Shining Armour 5
    LL 13: Sardines
    LL 14: The ties that bind
    LL 15: Kill all 'cons
    TF vs Visionaries 1
    TF vs Visionaries 2
    TF vs Visionaries 3
    TF vs Visionaries 4
    TF vs Visionaries 5

Ph3V6: 16 issues, early 2024
    OP 15: The Falling - Surfeit of Primes
    OP 16: The Falling - Another mine
    OP 17: The Falling - The ground
    OP 18: The Falling Interlude - The first who was named
    OP 19: The Falling - The Hallowing
    OP 20: The Falling - Endless forever
    OP 21: The Falling - Unforgiveable
    LL 16: The Everlasting Voices - Metastasis
    LL 17: The Everlasting Voices - The god war
    LL 18: The Everlasting Voices - You are here
    LL 19: Crucible - A dance before dying
    LL 20: Crucible - Lustrare
    LL 21: Crucible - Farsickness
    LL 22: Crucible - The return of the king
    LL 23: Crucible - The unremembering
    LL 24: Crucible - A spark among embers

Ph3V7: 15 issues, late 2024, Unicron on the cover!

Requiem of the Wreckers }
    Requiem of the Wreckers } - Double-size special
    Unicron 0 }
    Unicron 0 } - Double-size special
    OP 22: Unstopped and unstoppable
    Unicron 1
    Unicron 2
    Unicron 3
    Unicron 4
    OP 23: Time will rust
    Unicron 5
    OP 24: A sunrise dark
    Unicron 6
    LL 25: How to say goodbye and mean it, part 2
    OP 25: Post

Excluded issues:

Revolution oneshots: MASK, ROM, Micronauts, GI Joe
    First Strike oneshots: MASK, ROM, Micronauts, GI Joe
    Evolutions: Hearts of Steel 1 to 4
    Infestation vol 2: The Transformers 1 to 2

My child, who has read and enjoyed IDW1 from small times, will be an adult by then, so I think I'm going back into trades, picking up the key ones so they can finish the story!

Unless of course the final four are all crowdfunded and made available in one go while IDW still have the rights :cool: 

• Like Like x 4
  19. AcademyofDrX

AcademyofDrX Beast Machines and IDW2 Apologist

Twitter:
    I know this is speculation, but this isn't how any of this works. IDW has licensed comics from other publishers in the past, like all ages books for Marvel and Star Wars, and the Artist Select Series deluxe hardcovers from Marvel, but those are in many ways effectively new books. In the case of the former, they're creating new stories entirely under license; for the latter, they're sourcing original art and making reproductions. That isn't just taking someone else's book and printing it. I doubt it would be profitable to do that, and it doesn't make strategic sense. It's possible, but incredibly unlikely. As for crowdfunding, that's a total non-starter. There just isn't time to fund and produce a book before the license expiration at the end of the year. The advantage to crowdfunding is that by pre-selling, you don't have as much financial risk, because you pay out the publishing partners with guaranteed money. The disadvantage is time, because the work doesn't happen until people get paid.

Whether Skybound decides to continue the hardcovers or not, digital editions of those issues and collections will almost certainly transfer immediately. You might not be able to put them on your shelves, but as long as you have a screen, you should still be able to read them. IDW will probably do a major clearance sale at the end of the year, so keep an eye out for that.

20. NoiseMaker

NoiseMaker Well-Known Member

Assuming they keep going with the Collections, I would hope they include the 2 evolutions stories, as they eventually/ allegedly feed into the main ongoing (of course its Shockwave)... and introduce Centurion/Bumblebee.

Fingers crossed for inclusion of Last Bot Standing, it seems a great book to end IDW's run on. Especially given the creative team of Roche and Su.
    Though that would have to increase the number of volumes to 8 (such a damn shame!?)...

• Like Like x 1