Thread for speculation on IDW Collection hardcovers

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Danforth, Nov 18, 2018.

1. NoiseMaker

NoiseMaker Well-Known Member

Good work there DanForth!

I am highly in agreement with that breakdown, having done something verrrrry similar myself... though something compels me to try to stretch it to a total of 30 volumes. Which isnt that hard to do, but 8-12-8 does have a nice symmetry, and as always people are more likely to buy a #1 - a 2024 finish! Crickey!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Thumbaticon

Thumbaticon "It's all right, I'm an emergency vehicle!"

Volume 10 is available for pre-order. Aside from Redemption, Danforth's prediction was spot on! I was hoping Springer would be on the cover because of SOTW, would’ve been nice to have some neon green in a sea of grey covers.

I'm going to try guessing future covers. I'm going to assume more recognizable characters will be used, otherwise I would've considered characters like Rung, Stardrive, or Aileron.

Phase 2:
    Vol. 11: Ratchet
    Vol. 12: Galvatron

Phase 3:
    Vol. 1: Kup
    Vol. 2: Soundwave
    Vol. 3: Starscream
    Vol. 4: Not sure about this one, Trypticon? Or Scorponok, if he gets a titan class toy at this point
    Vol. 5: Arcee
    Vol. 6: Ironhide
    Vol. 7: Springer
    Vol. 8: Unicron

• Like Like x 1
  3. Lucas35

Lucas35 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Danforth

Danforth Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Cheers Lucas35. Might as well repeat my waffle on this waffle thread, as well as your news thread :-D

I suspect there is an error in the Amazon listing as Transformers (exRID) #50 starts a new arc so it'd be odd to separate it from 51-55. Also I don't know what Silent Night is. There was a Silent Light forming part of the Holiday Special, but that whole special is listed as part of V10.

Well, however they slice it, V12 will clear the decks for Revolution... and whatever they choose to do next (i.e. carry on Phase Two, start Phase Three, or pivot a little and make them Hasbroverse Collections instead. Hope it's not the latter or it'll take even longer to publish them all!)

My prediction for the V11 cover star is either Skids or Soundwave.

5. cashel

cashel Well-Known Member

i just hope they continue these hardcovers until the end. this was my favorite era of tf ever and i dig the hardcovers.

• Like Like x 1
  6. cashel

cashel Well-Known Member

i hope idw goes exact
    ly like this.

7. Danforth

News Credits:
    Still no news on the next hardcover (Phase Three V1? Something else?) but BBTS just emailed to say they were taking pre-orders on a restock of all twenty volumes:

Transformers Books & Magazines

If you're missing any, you might be able to grab them soon, either here or elsewhere :) 

8. Friendross

Friendross Well-Known Member

I really enjoy collecting these, I’m on volume 8. Which is exciting because 9-11 are cheap on amazon. Can’t beat the collected format, the paper quality, the print quality, and the oversized page. I am disappointed the quit putting the bookmark ribbon in them.

9. Predakwon

Predakwon ...Green Lantern's light!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    My vol 10 and 11 have ribbons
    20201027_124507.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  10. PrimeSmokescreen 04

PrimeSmokescreen 04 Well-Known Member

Are these things still going? I have phase 1 but dont want to splurge on phase 2 unless I know they will complete it.

11. Jalaguy

Jalaguy has no known physical weaknesses

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    As far as we know, yes. Volume 12 is out in January, and I don't believe we're overdue for an announcement of the next volume quite yet?

If we go another couple of months without an announcement for the next volume, that's when things would start to look dicey.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Predakwon

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    After 12, that's when the Revolution event would be right? Not sure how they would handle that. One huge Omnibus would be fantastic, but not sure they will.

But would 12 be the end of phase 2?

13. gdg104198

gdg104198 Well-Known Member

Instagram:
    there’s been a separate Revolution hardcover (collecting i think everything) for the direct market for a while. They might just stick with the essential or skip the crossover and maybe do a new line of Phase 3

14. Predakwon

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    A hardcover collecting the Revolution series? I never heard of it, do you have a link?

15. gdg104198

gdg104198 Well-Known Member

Instagram:
    It was a one off thing and they haven’t done the same for First strike. It was a direct market release only for comic shops so you won’t find it on amazon but instock trades has it for 30% off. I have a copy. It’s a slightly bigger page size then the other books And doesn’t match the other books but it covers most if not all (I think all but I’m not sure) of Revolution and picks up right after vol 12 leaves off.

Revolution DLX HC Direct Market Exc - InStockTrades

• Like Like x 1
  16. Predakwon

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Wow! Yeah IST is my go to place for like a decade and I never heard of this one.

Thx!

17. Andersonh1

Andersonh1 Man, I've been here a LONG time Veteran

Ebay:
  18. Predakwon

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Just Action Man's One shot? What about the GI Joe one that has Skywarp in that case.

Oh well.

19. Lucas35

Lucas35 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The GI Joe one-shot is just a normal GI Joe comic in which Skywarp appears. In the Action man, several Transformers characters are main characters, besides that Action Man after the event becomes a main character in a Transformers comic so it makes sense to include. I would like that in some volume they also include the Action Man miniseries, since there are few editions and their characters appear in various Transformers comics.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Danforth

News Credits:
    Just checked the wiki and Skywarp only appears at the very end of Revolution: GI Joe, describing himself as "a valuable asset". I haven't actually read it, but I presume that's just one panel... and there's no other TFs in it... still, continuity-wise he'll be shown in collaboration with EDC in the forthcoming Phase Two V12, and hey, who can tell those boring humans apart anyway ;) 

I guess the early Phase Three is going to be riddled with such editorial choices and edge cases. I don't want them to include the entire Hasbroverse because then it'll take even longer to get everything collected - even though I might miss some cameos and Special Guest Stars. There's always the wiki.