Thoughts on three pips

Discussion in 'Transformers Trading Card Game (TCG) Discussion' started by Aaron, Dec 11, 2018.

1. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    So I had a bit of a shower-thought about what a three pip card would look like and I now can’t get it out of my head. So I’m getting it out here so the ideas can get stuck in your head too.

I’m thinking that anything with three pips would have to come with some kind of drawback. Either an action card that can’t be played so it’s otherwise a dead card, or something that would have a negative reaction on the other flip. So something like…

Reckless Attack OOO
    Action
    One of your characters gets +2 attack until end of turn.
    If this card is revealed on defense, attacking character gets +2 attack and pierce 2.

Or

Over-cautious Defense BBB
    Upgrade - Utility
    +2 Defense
    If this card is revealed on attack, attacking character gets -2 attack.

Just something with a high swing to make the 3 pips not some auto-include.

Discuss!

2. richacm220

richacm220 Well-Known Member

What would a OBW say?

3. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Moderator

News Credits:
    I agree that a 3 pip card should be balanced to not be powerful on both uses. Similar to Peace Through tyrany. For instance

OOO
    Action - character this is placed upon takes all damage from another character

BBB
    Utility - if attacking character has a weapon, it has Bold 1 until end of turn

4. WingedWeasel

WingedWeasel Well-Known Member

I think the drawbacks would need to be significantly harsher. Something that for example did damage to your bot(s) when flipped and an entirely blamk textbox.

5. Wreckgar

News Credits:
    I think it needs to be negative but not so much that it makes the card unwanted. Otherwise people would either not put them in decks or keep them in hand and not play them. It needs to have a downside but one that still makes it at least an appealing card to put in a deck

6. WingedWeasel

WingedWeasel Well-Known Member

i think having 3 pips is more than sufficient to get people to include it. improvised shield almost never actually hits the table but it effectively an autoinclude in a wide range of decks. it's not just simply throwing OOO, BBB, OBW, OOB, OBB, etc etc etc into a deck. imagine the aggro insecticons but instead of only being able to run 6x OO they also had access to 3+ OOO? or even if it was "just" OOB then swarm now can be even more swingy. i think there is a wide range of effects they could attach to these sort of cards but i'd expect a negative when it is flipped and maybe even a negative when it is "hardcast". i know that's pretty vague but as i said there is a huge variety of effects they could tack on, from damage, to discard cards from hand (maybe that's not even a drawback), popping your own cards in play (ala collateral damage), healing your opponent's characters, drawing them cards, to all the effects the OP mentioned, etc. the list is pretty long

7. MechanovaKing

MechanovaKing Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think i'd be interesting to see a Card OBW.
    And it's NOTHING. Not an action not an upgrade, if you get it in your hand it stays there unless till you discard.

But also. I'm really hope we get active abilities on battle flips.

Or maybe there add new colors. a pips that's negative or pips that are only useful to a certain character

8. Aaron

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Coming back to this, I'm still not sold on mixing in White pips. It'd have to have a very strong reason that it's either super niche or have a hard draw back.

9. MechanovaKing

News Credits:
    I mean depends if we get any other kind of pips.
    I think (and hope) they'll have other colors. Maybe some pips will be bad? Make your character lose attack or something.

But over all I think a white and orange pip is a bad idea, I think a blue and white would be ok to do.

10. Wreckgar

News Credits:
    I would be against a 3 pip one of each card. I think the white pips are a nice niche to the game that makes people think about the cards they put in. White neither attacks nor defends so you have to really consider how many to put in a deck and that’s what makes you wary on how many to put in

11. MechanovaKing

News Credits:
    I also thing one of the major down sides to a three pip card could be there simple nothing in the text.
    If you draw this card its dead, its stuck in your hand and can't be played

12. Aaron

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Sunstorm would love that then.

13. That Guy

That Guy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If Transformers isn't going to have a rotating format, would three pips be a tool that could be used to slowly inflate cards to encourage the buying of sealed product? You know, like a couple years from know we get a 3 pip improvised cover.

I feel like (and correct me if I'm wrong) but Pokemon does this, the old cards are mostly outclassed by the new stuff now.