Thoughts on the SS86 Optimus Prime?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by jellowd2, Mar 22, 2024.

1. BethCyra

BethCyra I NEED MP BiG CONVOY (Rumored)

I know it’s a bit heresy, but I’d kinda like Prime to not come with an axe.

He didn’t have it in the movie, and I rather them use what room on the mould/budget for Prime himself.

• Like Like x 7
  2. Revan1307

Revan1307 Well-Known Member

heres my custom er optimus prime 20240203_213909.jpg

• Like Like x 6
  3. imfallenangel

imfallenangel Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I love that you had the determination to buy, cut and stick two trailers like that as the extra length does absolutely help that issue with the trailer.

I went all out with customizing my trailer, and made it acceptable (for me):
    Minor/Repaint: - Earthrise Optimus, paint and customizing, with Cog "Roller"

But I did end up buying various other trailers too, but didn't get the chance to finish my project with the last one, which is the Baiwei one (the ko of the weapon "ring" and jetpack one from the movies) which size wise, is absolutely perfect in size and what it should have been (but required a modification for the hitch):

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  4. 8bitboy

8bitboy Well-Known Member

I find that Ion Blaster from the GS Centurion Drone set to be a tad bit long. I wonder where the inspiration came from for the length. Good custom though.

Oh wow! The weapon ring trailer works really well! Cudos to you :)  What did you do to get the hitch attachment? I had a look at the Cog Roller mod you did. It's certainly interesting. I've seen a handful of other collectors use Cog as their Roller. The trailer mod you did is my favourite change you made.

• Like Like x 1
  5. imfallenangel

News Credits:
    I posted images here: Best budget 3rd / 4th party figures

I used a 3d pen to do the shape (a figure 8 type approach) at a proper length using a piece of 5mm wood for the new connecting "hitch", then melted the trailer's original 5mm peg into the other side.

It similar for the original trailer, if you scrolled in my customizing the ER trailer thread, further in the following posts I did an "extension" for the hitch as another of ER's trailer issues is that it sits too close and you can't turn the truck without the trailer hitting the back of the truck making have a really terrible turning range. The extension for the ER trailer was simpler and doesn't require modifications... But if I remember right, the Nonnef kit has a near identical piece...?

• Like Like x 1
  6. jellowd2

jellowd2 Well-Known Member

"Prime mom said it was my turn!"

• Like Like x 1
  7. jellowd2

Just watch That toy guys review he had hell transforming him.

• Like Like x 2
  8. jellowd2

if you own 40 you gotta have a prime shrine. XD

9. jellowd2

Also no transparent plastic but they have been doing better with that so thats good.

10. 8bitboy

8bitboy Well-Known Member

I believe the Nonnef set's piece might be close enough. I can shoot a pic of it later if that will help.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
  11. fschuler

fschuler Post Count Inflated With Hot Air TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I just looked up his review and he said he loves it! Maybe he did a more detailed review at some point?

12. jellowd2

Yea he liked him but he was frustrated when transforming him. He didnt like how much force you had to use for pieces.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Al221

Al221 Megaman stan

Considering how good Kingdom Rodimus was, (in my opinion ofc), I imagine SS86 Optimus will be pretty good.

I'm sure we'll get all of the typical accessories and features we would expect from Optimus/ Trailer combo; I just hope the back of the truck looks clean, I'm real tired of Optimus Prime truck modes with the feet hanging on of the back.

I imagine it will have translucent windows, but they will almost 100 percent be inserts, like ER Prime and SS86 Magnus.

• Like Like x 4
  14. jellowd2

For sure I am 100% fine with inserts because they don't degrade over time. I just hate when they cast hinges or anything that moves (including weapons) out of it. It's like the drug Hasbro can't stop taking.

• Like Like x 4
  15. Dinobot Snarl

Dinobot Snarl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    One thing they have to work on is his silhouette, getting those front wheels tucked away.

• Like Like x 5
  16. 2fabdad

2fabdad Well-Known Member

Ss86 Optimus Prime will be a great challenge for the Hasbro engineers… the biggest challenge will be keeping the bean counters and marketing out of it till he’s finished.
    MP-10 and ER are both good examples of how I could be done both are lacking.
    MP10 is wonky and would need several tweaks…

ER looks like Bay prime put on a G1 T shirt and couldn’t find a tighter shirt.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Satomiblood

Satomiblood ))<>((

I’m expecting something similar to MP-10, but with better proportioned arms, as well as a head sculpt and colorway styled after MP-44.

• Like Like x 6
  18. Dinobot Snarl

Dinobot Snarl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Interesting take here...

One can hope.

• Like Like x 1
  19. imfallenangel

News Credits:
    One thing that I would consider as a "failure" would be if it ends up with an overcomplicate transformation, as one thing that I do enjoy ER over Siege is that it's simpler to transform quickly and less fiddling around. I wouldn't have minded a step or two more for the legs.

I just find Siege annoying to align the parts to get everything to finally move and fit so to snap everything together while ER can be done quickly, and you have both modes looking good.

I don't believe that Optimus needs an over complex design, I'd prefer just an elegant design that is fun, quick to do and has the "wow" result of looking right in both modes.

So again, I'd say that they would need to simply fix the annoyances of ER and make it a big larger, so a V.2 type approach.

• Like Like x 3
  20. 2fabdad

2fabdad Well-Known Member

Desent trailer with roller is a must…
    New legs entirely
    Extra length to the arms (pull out) hidden in the for arms in vehicle, bulk up the Ribs… that overhang on the chest is Diabolical.

the waist aka Space Diper is what defines G1 toon Optimus…
    It has to be done correctly. Either flaps that move out of the way for a complete resculpt of the waist… finally he has to white in the waist and thighs… a toy color with silver and yellow eyes is inevitable (without the trailer to lower the cost…

• Like Like x 1