Thoughts on original characters *Spoilers*

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Jetcols, Jul 31, 2010.

1. Hobbes-timus Prime

Hobbes-timus Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Lol, I think maybe you need some perspective.

But I'm out. Have fun.

BTW, to be on-topic I love the idea of new, original characters in the movies - heck, in all the new media. Blackout getting an Animated toy, Lockdown getting a movie toy, and Lugnut getting a Generations toy all make me very happy because all three were great characters I would like to revisit.

And if I find the new characters lacking, then I just don't buy the toy and no harm no foul. It's not like every G1 character was a paragon of complexity and originality in the first place.

2. Jetcols

Jetcols Elite Guard

News Credits:
    I know, I love that these new characters are become big parts of Transformers fandom. You never know, "Q" could turn out like this in the future too.

3. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    I have nothing against new characters, but they really do have to be as good or better than existing characters.

Ideally I like to see a healthy balance between old and new. Retain enough old characters that don't require introductions. I don't think the casual fan or average member of the public wants to be overwhelmed with new characters in any TF universe. It's important to have some recognisable faces in there.

The best new characters are the ones that fill a niche different from any existing character. Don't invent something that already exists. If you're going to do an autobot firetruck, you might as well stick with Inferno. A character like TFA Lugnut works because he compliments the existing characters. There wasn't really anything from G1 that would've fit that role.

There's been a trend towards obscure homages in recent times. I don't know how well this appeals to kids or the general public. I don't see any great sense in homaging mediocrity. But it can be pretty clever when it's done with some creativity. I think if I was a kid today, I'd appreciate the character having a history. There's been a lot of 'nobody' characters over the years. But when they make appearances in different TF universes, when they've had more than one toy, they start to become less of a nobody. If you can take an uninteresting 'character' (basically a toy with a name), and build upon what was already there, develop aspects of their personality, reinforce the more unique aspects of the colour and kibble scheme. Maybe you can make a nobody into a somebody. In some ways it's more satisfying to work with what's already there, rather than creating yet another newbody from scratch.

4. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Old

News Credits:
    All I know is that people will flock to this movie like sheep, and the fans are stuck looking at pegs of Mercedes that turns into a geezer, named Q.

5. eagc7

eagc7 TF Movieverse fan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    me type so fast!, i try to slow down but i cant! (no typos this time :p )

6. jonesy64

jonesy64 Member

Fixed it for you. :p 

7. sideswipe89

sideswipe89 Beachcomber

News Credits:
    why don't you just slow down? its better than typing gibberish.

8. eagc7

eagc7 TF Movieverse fan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    like i sayed im trying to slow down but I Got Used to type Fast

9. Dremare

Dremare It's pronounced "dreh-mare"

Eh, a welcomed change of pace for me. I mean, it gets a bit stale using the same characters over and over, that new ones keep it interesting for me. And yes, that includes Drift, for those of you who give a damn. It's just that the way they execute it will be how people like them. For instance, the RoTF twins and G1 Wheelie were executed pretty badly, and therefore, hated, and Animated Lockdown was executed well, and is loved by many.

10. Chris B

Chris B Well-Known Member

I'd like a nice mix between the old and new. Creating new characters can create some cool results, but at the same time, its nice to see some old favorites in a live action setting.

11. Goggles

Goggles 1H8CON

Sounds like an Energy Drink.

12. MTME

MTME Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    How about you just take my previous suggestion and proofread it before you hit the submit button. Like I said before I would like to be able to understand your points and opinions in order to take them into consideration and further the discussion. :) 

13. sideswipe89

sideswipe89 Beachcomber

News Credits:
    ^ yeah what she said.

14. RedHeadKevin

RedHeadKevin Well-Known Member

My problem with original characters is that the fandom has been clamoring for "more of our G1 favorites!" with each successive movie. They have an Autobot that appears to be a scientist-type, and they DON'T name him after one of the Autobot scientists? They have a red sports car, and DON'T name him after any of the red Autobot sports cars? I heard that in TF-4, they're going to have a robotic T-rex, but he won't be Grimlock, or Overkill, but a completely new character! (seriously, imagine reading that, and not seeing the fandom have a total meltdown?!)

15. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Searching for the Infin-Honey Stones

News Credits:
    I'd just like to point out that Einstein bot's name is not "Q"

Good lord, this is a fandom of utter morons.

16. Defenestrator

Defenestrator Definitive Opinion

eagc7 is TFW2005 Blur

17. User_136440

User_136440 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    To be fair though, that frontpaged story (which has suddenly disappeared) made it sound like Nelson announced that 'the blue Mercedes has a name that can be pronounced with just one letter, just like the inventor in the Bond films'. Had it been made clear that a fan had just made a wild assumption from reading the letter "Q" from the caption on Nelson's photo stream then I'm sure a lot more people would have been quick to point out that this was anohter case of "Rush".

18. fastballspecial

fastballspecial Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I agree. I think it happens too often when a news story gets front paged without proper confirmation of things. The credibility of the news this site reports tends to scare me sometimes because of this.