Thoughts on having doubles (sometimes triples) of a toy.

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by e3nine, Feb 25, 2010.

1. slugslinger2004

slugslinger2004 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I only buy multiples in two situations:

(1) I really want a lot of toys on ebay or in the Junkion Exchange and a toy I happen to have is included in the lot.

(2) A reissue is coming out and my toy is in bad shape

And I feel bad about doing (2) because it feels like wasting money, even if I do recoup some of the costs by selling the older toy.

2. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    I have plenty of redeco'ed figures, but I don't have any straight duplicates. I agree with what ams said back in post 3 though, I'd have bought doubles of the entire Alternators line if I could've affored it.

Also, one of my long term goals is to get a good condition, loose G1 Shockwave for the shelves, and a MIB one for a grail. I'm not sure if that's the same situation, though.

3. Th0r4z1n3

Th0r4z1n3 PlastiqueBoutique.com Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I do this for trading fodder sometimes if it's something I know is gonna go up in value. Gives me something to fall back on if I ever need money without having to sell off part of my collection. Thinking of grabbing a few WM MP Skywarps since they're on clearance, and really wish I would have grabbed an extra Classics Devy from when they were clearanced out too... ah well.

And could it really be considered scalping if it's stuff that I'll probably end up sitting on for a year or two before I ever think about selling/trading them off?

Oh and glad to see you posting again e3nine, and if you ever decide to post some pics please LMK; I've seen the kind of stuff you've sold in the Junkieon, you're collection must be immaculate.

4. Hotspot17

Hotspot17 Search and Rescue: Vet

News Credits:
    It's your collection, your money and your life. Do whatever you want. If people complain, tell them to "suck it".

5. fateastray

fateastray AnakRepublikMalukuSelatan

I've got quite a few Classics Sunstreakers, but those are for bashing. Duplicate Lego Knights, also for bashing. :x

6. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Nobody defeats the DEVASTATOR!

I buy multiples. If I am going to open it and play with it, I will always have a double MISB. I do that incase the opened one breaks, then I at least still have the MISB one to fall back on. Some figures also just look so nice in their packages I like to keep a 2nd.

When Alts and BTs were out, I would buy the Alternator to open and leave the Binaltech sealed. Where the alternator was different fromt he BT I would buy two Alternators, like SKids. Once it was Alternators only I always bought doubles of the Alternators, or an alternator like swerve, that was not in BT I double purchased.

I also have every Classics seeker to released. Henkeis are unopened, and The classics I have doubles of, except the botcon set.

Basically any toy you see that I have open in my collection thread, I have a sealed version somewhere.

7. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    In most cases i've only got more than one of something if the 1st one broke.

8. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Action Master Super Mod

News Credits:
    i don't do it unless the mold is different in some way, like the seekers or classics Prowl/smokescreen/bluestreak... unless its a character i love, like ROTF Dirge, or Classics Astrotrain... then i buy one to open, and one to keep sealed...

9. enkidoamark

enkidoamark Well-Known Member

Just today I at lunch I bought 2 animated arcees. (Yesterday I went to the same TRU and bought 2 ratchets) I only do this for ones I really love. I pretty much buy every deluxe, even the repaints, and all the voyager, leader, ultra and most of the scout molds. I'll buy a non-deluxe repaint if I really enjoy the character (thought Universe springer was great, with obvious limitations). Just the other day I bought ROTF brawn, lockdown and dlx ratchet. I WILL buy another lockdown when I find him, but probably not the others (tho brawn is tempting as a universe stand in and ratchet has the intereactivity with lockdown).

In closing, I'm mostly MISB, but occasionally I buy one to play with. Or I convince my kids they need it. I wish I had been collecting as long as OP. It took me a while to develope this approach and there are some I really wish I had doubles of now.

10. Nez Pierce

Nez Pierce @evildanish

News Credits:
    Sometimes I'll buy duplicates, but not too often. Got dupes of the first wave of 07 movie deluxes, an extra RoTF Leader Prime and Arcee (not sure why I bought the latter), and a few reissues here and there (Hasbro Sideswipe and a few of the S2 cars). Most of the dupes are Primes....

11. Cornholiocon

Cornholiocon Up the irons!

No doubles here.
    I open everything I buy (mostly G1 reissues) and display them in a way that I can easily grab them and examine/play with them more closely.

12. The_Black_Sheep

The_Black_Sheep Willyna...

News Credits:
    Maybe this should be directed towards that one bloke in the TF community who these days seems to purchase 4 & 5 multiples of each figure. Yeah that's right - 4 & sometimes 5 multiples of each figure. & not just the expensive/rare figures, but the ones that are available in every store. Now that's when you know you've got a problem... *shakes head*

13. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    only intentional double i got is acidstorm, and that was for drone purposes

14. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I agree. If you buy them for your collection, that's not scalping. It may be hoarding, but that's a nature of us collectors, more or less :D 

I've got multiples of RiD/CR Autobot Bros and a few BW Neo figures, because I love them so much I have to have spare ones just in case.

15. Rodr-Evil

Rodr-Evil Anubicron TFW2005 Supporter

I got two Kups

16. rework

rework The Voice of Experience

Even if you buy them for later resale it's still not scalping if you aren't creating a shortage. I swear, people just love to throw that term around at anyone who makes a little profit selling a toy...

I have boxes and boxes full of extra toys. New, old, loose, packaged... Some bought used, some bought off the shelf. I love hitting the clearance shelves and stock up when they go deep discount. I also buy toys second hand at yard sales and flea markets - Whole collections when I can get them. I probably have at least two of almost every toy from G1 through Cybertron...

As long as you aren't getting yourself in finanical trouble (anyone going into credit card debt doing this really needs to get help), and can find something to do with them, no problem. Every year I load up and run a booth at Botcon. It pays my expenses and usually pays for all the toys I buy there.

17. rework

rework The Voice of Experience

Even if you buy them for later resale it's still not scalping if you aren't creating a shortage. I swear, some people here (not directed at SydneyY) just love to throw that term around at anyone who makes a little profit selling a toy...

I have boxes and boxes full of extra toys. New, old, loose, packaged... Some bought used, some bought off the shelf. I love hitting the clearance shelves and stock up when they go deep discount. I also buy toys second hand at yard sales and flea markets - Whole collections when I can get them. I probably have at least two of almost every toy from G1 through Cybertron...

As long as you aren't getting yourself in finanical trouble (anyone going into credit card debt doing this really needs to get help), and can find something to do with them, no problem. Every year I load up and run a booth at Botcon. It pays my expenses and usually pays for all the toys I buy there.

18. Flyby33

Flyby33 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    i just do doubles with the movie lines one to open and display and one to keep misb with the deluxe sizes and up scout only get one to open...all the other lines i just buy one to open aka animated, classics and universe..the re issues i just buy one of as well depending on if i already own it in original g1 determins if i open it, like the insecticon reissues i already have the original g1 so the re issues stay misb..now the question is what to do with all the open boxes i can't bring myself to trow them away. i have boxes on top of boxes of opened transfoer boxes that just keep adding up

19. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    No worries I know what you mean :)  Though I admit I don't like seeing those "I have 5 of (insert the latest release here) for sale" thread in Junkion, when they are adding quite a bit to the price. But I still don't go all pitchfork ready, to each on his own....and I guess that's not the point of this thread. Sorry about the derailing.

20. TFormerfan

TFormerfan Maximal

Did that 1/6th scale action figures by Hot toys long time ago but stopped to expensive. But I am going to start to get all the beast wars show characters MISB I have them all opened.