Thoughts on Eugenesis...

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Stygimoloch, Mar 28, 2013.

1. Starscream Gaga

Starscream Gaga Protoformed This Way

News Credits:
    I'm not so sure. Is it not expected that an occupying force like the Quintessons would establish concentration camps to imprison the subdued population?

2. LSB

LSB Well-Known Member

I kinda get what you mean but time at intergalactic distances just makes my head hurt.

What does it mean that it is December 25th on Earth on Cybertron? If there was an independent observer on Cybertron, observing the sun, would they calculate the date on Earth as being December 25th? Or was that the date taking into account when the Earth-bound transformers fled for Cybertron?

Are days even as long on Cybertron as Earth? How does time and space work in this universe?

I know those are kinda nitpicky (which is why I didn't list them initially) but they bother me and take me out of the work. They are also really meaninglessly melodramatic (Christmas Death Camps!) , which just doesn't square with me.

3. Dek

Dek Y R U Reading This?

The date is none of that. It's just a context for the reader if they wanted to draw a parallel between what time of year it is on Earth if they happened to be on Cybertron. It's also designed to evoke the emotion of the season contrasting with the horror of wars.

I think you're overthinking it. It's the equivalent of someone one asking you what time it would be if you were in another time zone. The two time zones are mutually exclusive in what time it actually is but you can then begin to draw parallels for a timeline if you are trying to piece together events in real time there when compared to your own time here.

Also in regards to your "nitpicks," Walt Simonson once said something along the lines of who cares about the details and names of time on an alien planet, when you can just use references to our own passages of time for easier understanding and clarification. Now I'm gonna paraphrase him big time on this next part. It's understood that the measurements would be different, so when someone says an hour went by then you as the reader will have automatically and unconsciously just assumed that the hour stated was really just a real world, familiar measurement for the equivalent on another planet. It gives credit to the reader that they are engaged enough to do this without having been told to do this. It just makes for easier understanding if you use known phrases with the implied meaning that the conversions have been done for you. You don't have to exposit to them, and that time and space that would be dedicated to science fiction-y exposition can be dedicated to furthering the story along. Again a big paraphrasing of what he said.

4. Starscream Gaga

Starscream Gaga Protoformed This Way

News Credits:
    I've been thinking about it... exactly which Galvatron is it in Eugenesis?

The most obvious answer is that it's Megatron who has gone on from the G2 comics to become Galvatron in 2008. The thing is, Soundwave refers to him time-jumping "again" when he first disappears, which suggests that he's done it before (presumably during the Target: 2006 and Fallen Angel stories), which makes sense, because those stories and Legacy of Unicron, which happened during the time Galvatron was back in 1986, are referred to as having happened. The thing is, this Galvatron (as well as Cyclonus and Scourge after they were sent back in time during Legacy of Unicron) died during Time Wars. Generously, you could call Galvatron and Scourge's deaths ambiguous, but Cyclonus' certainly wasn't. His head was ripped off by the brainwashed Megatron (clone) and it was this death that caused the entire Time Wars events. The other option is to say it could be the improved Galvatron Marvel UK Megatron aimed to be after seeing his future-self's mistakes, seen in Aspects of Evil. This makes some degree of sense, as that was a timeline with a third Unicron event (which is referred to pretty constantly), however in the add-on chapter this particular story was specifically referred to as an alternate timeline and further more the events of Legacy of Unicron never happened in this timeline. It couldn't be Galvatron II because, firstly, he's dead and secondly, Cyclonus and Scourge are present whereas Galvatron II had Hook, Line and Sinker. Am I missing anything?

Then again, it is a fanfiction and perhaps Roberts just wanted to write Galvatron as a character.

5. Dek

Dek Y R U Reading This?

I assumed it was Galvatron II since he had the better chance at survival. Galvatron I was ripped apart on a molecular level by the Time Storm, wasn't he? Also since there didn't seem to be any real bond between Galvatron and Cyclonus I assumed that this was because of them being from different universes.

More than likely you're correct about Roberts just wanting to write Galvatron and it not mattering which one it was.

6. Prime_Directive

Prime_Directive less than meets the eye

News Credits:
    IIRC, the events of Marvel's TFTM adaptation occurred in the timeline Roberts specified, so I'd think it'd be Megatron-made-Galvatron as it occurred in that. As for the time-jumping thing, I'd prefer not to try and think all that through lol.