Thoughts on character customization?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Noble1skull, Jul 1, 2020.

?

Do you enjoy character customization???

1. Yes

82.8%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. If it's there I might mess with it

17.2%
  1. Noble1skull

Noble1skull Quarantine is a nice break.

Do ya like it or do ya not? Personally, if I have the chance to change something about character, wether it be the clothes or the hair, or even better, the actual characters body, I will absolutely do so. But for some people it isn't a thing they care much for, so I thought I'd see tfw's views on it.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Tigran

Tigran Well-Known Member

I find in a lot of cases *especially elderscrolls and fallout* kinda pointless.

I just can't spend hours on characters, even Skylanders Imaginators that focused on it, I got a "general" look I was happy with and went with it.

• Like Like x 1
  3. CyrDraconis

CyrDraconis Well-Known Member

Eh, I might muck with it given the chance. Excalibur there in the left is a little customized after all. But I don't obsess over it.

Then there's the other arguments:
    If customization is entirely cosmetic (e.g. Fallen Order), people will complain that it's pointless because it doesn't -do- anything.
    If customization has mechanical effects, some will complain that they optimize the hell out of it and everything looks the same anyway (even if "best" looks stupid).

• Like Like x 1
  4. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    It’s okay. But it’s not a selling feature. I make my dude and I forget about it 5 min later.

• Like Like x 3
  5. optics

optics Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I do, especially for RPGs.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Megastar

Megastar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I like it becusce I usually don't see enough black protagonist in video games.

• Like Like x 9
  7. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    Absolutely love it! Always change things when given the chance, and always go for the weirdest options available.

Can be really annoying when there aren't enough choices, though. Limited colors, everything being tied to stats, the really cool stuff being locked behind a paywall or impossible tasks, etc.

• Like Like x 6
  8. CyberBlade507

CyberBlade507 Well-Known Member

Don't really care, most of the time. As in, I'd be fine without them. Create-a-characters are usually (not always, but usually) not very interesting characters in their own right. Most of the time they have neither the literal personality of a well-written character, or the figurative personality of a well-designed character.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    I tend to pick a pre-set I like and just muck with stuff like hair, jewellery, make up etc. Every time I’ve tried to make a custom face in Mass Effect or DragonAge I just end up birthing a monstrosity from beyond the veil of time and space.

• Like Like x 6
  10. TheWarPathGuy

TheWarPathGuy The Long Dead Former Ruler of Outworld

Depending on the customization. I was playing Sunset Overdrive back in the day, and noticed there was only one skin tone for a black guy, and it was far off to my skin complexion.
    I don't really like customization in video games. I do like self-inserting myself into stories, but I find it more interesting when the developer comes up with their OWN characters, and tell their OWN stories.
    Bioware games have the best customization in my opinion, cause what you do effects the plot, and you feel important to everyone around you.

Edit: I do really hate character customization where your character is a blank slate, like Sonic Forces for example.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Purple Heart

Purple Heart Pure Passion

News Credits:
    I love it! I think every game needs the ability to customize your character if if it’s just altering their colorscheme! Though some games upset me when you spend so much time customizing your character only for their head/face to be covered up by armor for the entire duration of the game. Let me see the fruits of my creation!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Thats the thing, most games with a full character customisation system tend to be the RPGs where the player is given some agency to drive the plot in a way they see fit. Fixed narrative games usually also have fixed character designs or very basic custom options. Like take Mass Effect 3 and Tomb Raider 2013. Now I can customise my Shepard to their toes if I see fit to do so and play my story as I, the player, functionally become Shepard’s Id. In Tomb Raider I can put different jackets on Lara Croft but that’s it and my goal is to help Lara on her journey rather than forge my own.

If that makes sense.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Chopperface

Chopperface All the Stars Are Closer

News Credits:
    Definitely depends on the game and how much customization actually does for the character model. Like I like how Battlefront II lets you pick all these skins and stuff for your clone troopers, like you can do 501st, Coruscant guards, the Wolffe pack, etc. But other customization options, while nice, aren’t always gonna be something I care about. The clone skins work because there’s an entire show about caring for the clones as characters with unique designs and all, whereas the droid customization isn’t much to look at.

Or in Fall of Cybertron, we finally got vastly improved customization and more than just different hues, which was a breath of fresh air especially after how limited the Decepticon colors were. There you could change every main body part you wanted, but your alt mode was locked into the chest chassis you picked. In the end games have limits, but I liked the light but still workable customization from FOC, as someone who likes to game but gets bored after about 3 hours.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Rusty24

Rusty24 Well-Known Member

I love it and I definitely use it if it’s there; especially for RPGs like Mass Effect or multiplayer shooters. I’m also fine with set characters in RPGs like Geralt in The Witcher too. It all depends on the game.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Dirge121

Dirge121 I'll be your end of days

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    I love character customization for the most part but it’s always going to be a thing where bizarre limitations are in place that will let you get 75% of the way towards making what you want and then hit a wall. Even stuff like ‘oh you want to use an eyepatch? Well you can only do it on the left eye because nobody in history has ever lost their right eye’. Stuff like that is what really bugs me with customization.

16. Meta777

Meta777 Dr Pepper Fan

Love it

17. Deathcatg

Deathcatg Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Depends on the game, but for the most part, I absolutely love it.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Venixion

Venixion Evil Dust Bunny-con

News Credits:
    Yeah I enjoy it. Don't need it for every game, but when it's there, either as a create-your-own-character, or as non-dlc outfits or stat armor, I'll use it.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Autoclot

Autoclot Well-Known Member

I love character customisation in places where it may actually make sense. I play a few MMORPGs, and it's good to have each player unique, rather than having e.g. 1,000 players show up in Bree looking like the same elf.

In SWTOR I have four characters of each gender, each with very different looks.

Which is why, where available, I select the "don't show helmet" option :)  Sadly, not all games have that :( 

I'd personally love it if EA / Maxis would license out the Spore character creator tech for MMOs. Limit it by game style where relevant, but in something like Star Wars they could almost open up the entire palette for characters since sentient creatures in that universe can be pretty much anything. I always thought that would be the direction they would take that tech, since it makes far more sense than trying to build a half-arsed game around it.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

In third person perspective titles, yeah. In the first person ones... Well, I've played Mass Effects with the default BroShep. Good enough.*shrugs*

The one time I went wild was my ghoul gunslinger in New Vegas.

I always fly with custom paintjobs in flight sims, though.

• Like Like x 1