Thoughts on Brave Exkaiser

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Quickwing, Feb 7, 2017.

1. Quickwing

Quickwing Devasia Mentality

Twitter:
    YouTube:
    I've been slowly watching the series again over the past month after the first handful of episodes did nothing to keep my interest. If I had to sum the whole thing in one word I'd easily say "Generic". The series did start keeping my attention the further along things went, and once the big bad Dino Geist started taking charge I figured things would really start ramping up... but after Exkaiser get his big new super form Dino Geist just goes back into the shadows for a long time until the last few episodes where things start picking up again... only to come to a satisfying, but kinda predictable end. I really wish I had a better feel for how Dino Geist went out, but like most of the bots in the series I just didn't feel like his character existed to be anything other than a big bad who wouldn't take no for an answer. The heroes, the kaisers themselves, were even worse as I can't pick out ANY characterization from any of them other than standard heroic nonsense. Exkaiser exemplifies this as he's the one who's around trying to connect and empathize with the humans, but when it's time to do his duties and ward off the geisters he just becomes this super corny knight of justice willing to defend whatever stupid thing the baddies are after in a given episode. Sadly the humans end up being the most interesting characters in the show, but even they are about as 2 dimensional as it comes.

The most entertaining thing I found as the series went on and sadly the one thing that kept me interested was mostly just waiting to see what the geisters were intent to steal and how with each passing episode and I think it peaked with them trying to steal christmas presents using a giant roided out santa robot that could only shout "MELLY GLEESMAS!" I swear I nearly laughed myself out of my seat on that one. Really though the most I can really say I felt was redeemable about the show was that it planted the seeds for more and better Brave series to come... and I'm not sure where to go next. I already have J-Decker and Gaogaigar under my belt, but I cant pick the next series I should give a shot. I want to keep going in order, but there's something about Fighbird that just doesn't click with me just looking at it.

2. NotRamjet97

NotRamjet97 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Exkaiser is pretty bland. Police probably has the best robot characters IMO. Da Garn is pretty good, though in the sense the humans are entertaining and the robots are just kinda...'meh'. Figh Bird I haven't seen much of, but it's premise is interesting ("what if an alien robot became human?"). Might Gaine is kinda "meh". Goldran is pretty funny, but, again, only for the humans. Dagwon's not my thing.

GaoGaiGar just plain sucks. So much wasted potential, very little character stuff, the main protagonist is boring as heck, monster of the week... man, such a disappointment.

3. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    Fighbird is decent but uneven. The main issue I had with it was that it introduces all of it's supporting robot characters really fast. I believe it introduces almost all of them before the tenth episode, then there's a huge gap before bringing in Guard Wing. Then another huge gap before Gran Bird shows up.

I think Gaogaigar is ok, though it doesn't really get good until the Primevals show up.

4. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Formerly SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    :lol 

The Primevals are definitely the real meat of the show. That's when certain character arcs come about in full, and the show generall has more stakes and is less formulaic.

The final fight with EI-01 was pretty badass, though. GaoGaiGar's strength was in it's more desperate battles and when the heroes fought with the most heart. Though even the MOW battles featured some unusual senarios and different approaches from the heroes. But it never pretended to have lofty ambitions or make itself into a meme like... certain super robot shows. It was a simple battle of good and evil.

Final was awesome, and could've been amazing without the distracting fanservice. Though if you can get past that it's really something special.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  5. NotRamjet97

NotRamjet97 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If a show can't manage anything in 32 episodes, man, it's just not worth it. It's incredibly repetitive, the fanservice goes from obtrusive to downright icky, the robot characters barely have anything (though that's common with Brave), Guy is the dullest protagonist I've ever seen except for the fact he'd rather spend time with Mamorou than his girlfriend (though we never see anything about that), and Mamorou's friends faint in pretty much every episode I'm amazed they aren't suffering from brain damage.

6. UltraAlanMagnus

UltraAlanMagnus See ya!

News Credits:
    GaoGaiGar was downright Amazing. Though it is Extremely Funny you guys brought it up since I Watched it & the OVA last month.

And as well Last Wednesday was the 20th Anniversary of it's Airdate.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Quickwing

Twitter:
    YouTube:
    GaoGaiGar has moments, and I like the more technical aspect of how problems are dealt with, but on the overall I'm not far too keen on it since it's main focus takes too long to pick up, and having only half a dubbed series is SUPER awkward when the first half doesn't even cover the full zonderian arc. J-Decker I absolutely fell in love with the more I watched since I loved each of the characters and felt like everyone got their fair share of spotlight time, and I'm a huge sucker for the overarching theme of robots with personalities trying to be accepted like actual people. The only major issue I had with it is that the main villains sortof came out of nowhere. Fighbird sound like it could fill in part of what I liked about Decker, but I doubt it'll be anywhere near as fulfilling. Might Gaine only sounds interesting on the basis of what the writers were trying to challenge as the show went on. The rest I honestly can't find a single thing to care about. Dagwon sounds more like a sentai, and neither Da Garn and Goldran stand out to me for any reason.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
  8. Xabungle

Xabungle Well-Known Member

Is Brave Exkaiser available again - the complete series? Last time I tried to find it, only parts of the series were available. Also, is it dubbed or subbed?
    I'll be checking the usual sources, I think.

9. Quickwing

Twitter:
    YouTube:
    The whole series is subbed and up on youtube. The first 6 episodes were uploaded on TransKingFormers and the rest I found on Silver Castle's channel.

10. Xabungle

Xabungle Well-Known Member

Thanks so much! I am a dinosaur, it seems, used to searching torrents. The availability of fansubs on youtube still surprises me, despite the fact that I've found several series I plan to watch on there.

11. valisihaud

valisihaud No rest for the delirious

Honestly the series isn't very good, it's same plot repeated over again for 47 episodes. If you were planning to get in to the brave series I'd suggest another other of the shows.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017