Thoughts on Autobot Megatron?

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Arrogant Arachnid, Feb 3, 2020.

1. Arrogant Arachnid

Arrogant Arachnid Banned

This is not a new topic at all, but now with the original IDW continuity having ended (right? I'm not even sure.) What do you lot think about the choice?
    I personally love the idea, makes him a lot more complex than the usual evil gray robot man.
    The only actual issue I had with it was the way he was drawn in Lost Light. In MTMTE he looked exactly how he needed to be, old and miserable. But in my opinion he looks a bit too friendly in Lost Light, although this is a massive nitpick.

• Like Like x 3
  2. JackKnife

JackKnife Well-Known Member

I think they wanted to convey the change in how he saw life, and the effect that had on his countenance. When you've been fighting for a long time and have become something that you never intended to be (and something that you are not comfortable with), it can make you look older. My thinking is that once Megatron realized how far he had veered "from center" and desired to return to where he started before sinking into the trap that his revolution had become for him, much of the burden was lifted. JMO.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde 狡猾の死神

News Credits:
    It was a pretty big misstep and was handled overall poorly. I don't think this kind of arc is a good fit for Megatron in general. In fact I'd even go as far to say that his portrayal in MTMTE / LL has done more harm to his character than any of the live action movies already have.

That's not to say the idea of a Decepticon character wanting to seek redemption is impossible, but Megatron? It's difficult enough for some people to swallow that after all the time he'd spent as a genocidal tyrant he just now realizes the error of his ways, but the characters around don't behave in a logically consistent manner. The story never points out how there's an obvious disconnect between the Autobots who have suffered because of him and his Decepticons and the ones whose lives were never really effected by the war he started. IIRC it's lampshaded but they never go all the way. Far too often the story felt like it was being carefully crafted to appeal to a vocal minority that frequent Tumblr or Twitter rather than what would make a better story.

Getaway could have been a very compelling antagonist because despite his methods, he's not really wrong about any of the things he says until Roberts derails his character and makes him into a buffoon. I'm pretty sure I know why this was done, but elaborating would violate the rules of this site. He has gone on the record IIRC and stated that Getaway's dialogue from issue #50 contained opinions he read online, though I'm unsure if that's because he thought they made good points (which they did) or because he was using Getaway as a form of strawman because he thought their comments were wrong (which they weren't.) It also still ticks me off that Roberts re-contextualized one of the strongest moments between Optimus and Megatron that almost perfectly encapsulates who they are as characters and changed it to "Megatron didn't REAALLY mean what he was saying!"

The pseudo-intellectual IDW Fanboys and girls have gone to fantastical lengths in order to defend these stories because it gives a ton of emotional pay-offs that make them feel good without having earned them, and because it's not as obviously horribly written as the live action films.

When someone asks me "what's wrong with Autobot Megatron" it almost feels like scaling a mountain because there's so much issues just from the idea itself. A better story would be less "Sensitive old man poet with cat and quirky friends go on adventures and learn about themselves" and more "miserable old man realizes too late that he was a terrible person and has to deal with a universe that fears and hates him for good reason and seeks to put an end to one of his darkest legacies."

There can be no happy ending for him. He doesn't deserve one after everything he's caused. Roberts literally gives him a second chance to start over and never have to truly face up to the awful things he's done until the very end, and we never even get to see it happen.

The sooner "Autobot Megatron" can go down like "Hail Hydra" Captain America the better. It was a bad idea that was badly executed, nothing more.

• Like Like x 8
  4. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    I’m glad it was Roberts that handled this and not any other writer (except Nick Roche).

• Like Like x 2
  5. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    A waste of time. It was clear there was no good "idea" behind it, even if there was potential, and the actual story itself felt totally incompatible with the character as he was presented up until then.

It was just a gimmick, and not an especially exciting one.

• Like Like x 4
  6. Scrapmaker

Scrapmaker Hadar Sen Olmen

I like the idea of a redeemable Megatron.

But it didn't work for this one. It didn't really feel entirely genuine, since this Megatron was explicitly robo-Hitler. Sure, in the end he never believed he deserved the chance at redemption he got, and even outright tells Rodimus when he's finally placed on trial again that, whatever his sentence, he "deserves worse" (seeing as they mentioned the options for him were death or spending the rest of his life in prison...), but...This Megatron just never felt like he should have gotten the chance to begin with. Now, I can ignore the rest of the continuity surrounding the story for the most part (it's not like MTMTE/Lost Light was that important to everything else anyway) and enjoy it for what it tried to do, but taking it all as part of the grander storyline where we've already had "hates organics with a passion and committed/ordered countless genocides" Megatron, it loses impact. There was potential in where it began, at the end of Dark Cybertron, and I still liked scenes like the one on Necroworld (in the field surrounding his hologram).

But as said, it all falls flat because it never felt entirely true to the character as he was portrayed previously. It's one thing to have regrets and wallow in self-loathing over everything he'd done and become (as would be the implication of his backstory and where it all lead to), but it never seemed like that was the case for him.

• Like Like x 4
  7. KuroKage2001

KuroKage2001 Gib Tigerhawk combiner

I think it could work great with a Megatron that isn’t leader of the Decepticons and of its planned out from the very beginning.

• Like Like x 2
  8. DrTraveler

DrTraveler Wheeljack, Wheeljack, Wheeljack

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It took a while, but I think in the long run it worked. One of the best things about the Phase 2 approach was its willingness to go past the whole Autobot/Decepticon war and towards something else.

• Like Like x 6
  9. NanakoPreame

NanakoPreame Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    I mean, they did say it was something they thought while bulling around in the writers room. As for my take, my problem with the redemption is how Megatron never really put any effort into it. Like the majority of the time he just sulked around feeling sorry for himself but never put in the work of actually owning up to his wrong doings. You'd say he didn't deserved it, and that's true, but again he never worked on redeeming all that much either.

10. TheLastBlade

TheLastBlade Well-Known Member

Just like every other idw gimmick: wears thin very quickly.

• Like Like x 1
  11. justiceg

justiceg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Worse than Costa? Or Heart of Darkness?

Really?

• Like Like x 3
  12. GeoSociety

GeoSociety Quit

Never liked it. If they were going to make any Decepticon in the IDW-verse at the time an Autobot, it should've been Thundercracker from his previous actions shown. Instead of that whole "Thunder likes dogs" stuff, ew.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  13. Kakashi

Kakashi Well-Known Member

I... actually liked it. But hear me out. We've seen countless takes on 'evil Optimus Prime' over the years. But aside from Shattered Glass, we never saw a heroic Megatron standing opposite him because people just weren't on board with the idea. The concept took berrings of chrome steel, I'll give it that much. And centering the turnaround on Bumblebee was super hamfisted.

But I did like the narrative that he saw his dream come true without him, and realizing that he was the one standing in its way, threatening to destroy it. If nothing else, IDW succeeded in one thing with their Megatron where all the others failed. They made a character out of him. He wasn't defined by his hunger for power, his ruthlessness, or his unyielding hatred. Why is that a big deal? Because those traits aren't relatable at all. Your average reader would liken classic Megatron more so to a force of nature, or maybe an archetype. But couldn't tell you anything about him beyond that.

While this version of Megatron was unpolished and had plenty of flaws, I would like to see bits of IDW Megs woven into future versions. I would like to see more of the poet, the warrior-scholar, the tactician, the friggin inner conflict... These things don't have to go away. And could be more interesting when set opposite to what Hasbro has done with Optimus Prime. Besides, we all know complex villains can really make a series shine. Especially when they believe they are the hero.

• Like Like x 15
  14. Rojixus

Rojixus Celebrating 40 Years of Transformers!

Absolutely hate the idea, it's the nadir of the entire franchise as far as I'm concerned.

• Like Like x 1
  15. IgnikaMarcus

IgnikaMarcus 9 Great Demon Generals progress: 5/9

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I disagree.

That was making it so Onyx Prime was Shockwave the whole time.

• Like Like x 3
  16. TeamOptimus

TeamOptimus Well-Known Member

As a character he’s cool. However I wish he hadn’t renounced his cause and became an actual Autobot. Neutral or more of an anti-hero would’ve been better (for me personally). Megatron being redeemed is an interesting enough idea.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Tetratron

Tetratron AEColyte

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I like the idea, I had some problems with the execution but I wouldn't be opposed to seeing it tried again in another medium like a tv show or movie series. Evil Optimus Prime is something the series has danced around with so a Megatron who tries to go heroic or realizes what a monster he's become is an interesting idea.

• Like Like x 2
  18. justiceg

justiceg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Whoa whoa whoa my friend - you misunderstood; we’re talking about the worst thing IDW ever did...not the best! :) 

• Like Like x 2
  19. IgnikaMarcus

IgnikaMarcus 9 Great Demon Generals progress: 5/9

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well.....
    Surely, you can't be serious.

• Like Like x 1
  20. JackKnife

JackKnife Well-Known Member

Of course we're serious, but don't call us Shirley.

• Like Like x 3