Thoughts on Age of Extinction?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by OmegaPrime22, Jun 25, 2021.

1. Livingdeaddan

Livingdeaddan DEFIANTLILHORDE

News Credits:
    Well I was thinking how Lockdown is supposed to have other bots junk on him, well that Lamborghini is basically just a mixture of Lamborghinis of the past and whats cool in all of supercars this given year.

2. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:

• Like Like x 3
  3. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Dukeup Nukhead

News Credits:
    No, what AoE did with Lockdown for the trophies thing was remove the actual morbid detail about that and instead simply had him cart around a fucking zoo around with him. LITERALLY turning him into a goddamn Team Fortress 2 comic punchline (where Saxton Hale's archrival shows off his mounted animal heads, actually just the animals standing behind the wall and their heads stuck through holes in said wall, that are still alive, as the animals sadness was what was on display more than the actual animals themselves). And the only functional purpose of any of this was to ham-handedly shove in the Not-Dinobots because there literally was no attempt at having them be organically introduced into the story whatsoever (in a film where you had the metal being made out of fucking dinosaurs).

When it comes to AoE, I think the greatest problem is that the film simply has a lot of ideas and can't execute on any of them properly, when a desperately needed editing job to trim the excessive fat and focus on a few ideas would have resulted in a better film. It would still have been bad because it's a bayverse film which fundamentally can't function without humans inexplicably being more of a detriment to the Autobots than the Decepticons/whatever until the climactic battle of the film (at which point the things reverse and the Autobots become unstoppable killing machines more or less), but at least that awfulness would have been focused instead of scattershot everywhere and nowhere simultaneously.

• Like Like x 1
  4. electronic456

electronic456 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Of course they’ve given you reasons for ‘why’. But it’s a matter of accepting the reason that is subjective. I can accept a person’s reasoning even if I don’t agree.

Surprised nobody used this gif to respond to you though.
    upload_2021-7-6_13-1-26.gif

That’s a reason? Gee.

Can’t blame you too hard if you were watching too many fast cars in your pastime then. It’s like saying I am so sick of zombies after watching… A LOT of zombie films.

• Like Like x 7
  5. Megasonictron

Megasonictron Well-Known Member

Age was a great new beginning. I loved last knight but I’d still kinda want the true sequel to extinction we were promised

• Like Like x 5
  6. WolverineDragon

WolverineDragon Brother Lombax

To be fair I got sick of zombies because they are so common place in media.

• Like Like x 1
  7. st.ranger

st.ranger Emperor of Destruction

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Marky Mark is useless character with his daughter and her boyfriend.
    It could be focused just on Stanley Tucci character.

• Like Like x 2
  8. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    :thumb :thumbs2: :thumb 

• Like Like x 3
  9. emoo

emoo Well-Known Member

Overall I liked aoe. I think the scene with lockdowns ship roaming around with the magnet picking things up and dropping them dragged on a bit to long though.

• Like Like x 3
  10. jungle penguins

jungle penguins Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hound was very good, and that's all that was needed, only half joking.

• Like Like x 1
  11. OZsket

OZsket Well-Known Member

crankypants

• Like Like x 3
  12. Megasonictron

I think we like him just cause of his badass weapons and theme song as well as an interesting motivation

• Like Like x 1
  13. Autobot Burnout

News Credits:
    What motivation? He literally is just the hired help aside from the chessboard comment which makes no sense as it's never explained what the Creators are actually trying to do.

Seriously, given the end of the film, he could have literally handed Prime the sword and told him to hop into the ship and he'll take him to the Creators so Prime can kill them after they pay Lockdown. Boom, movie's over and a lot less characters are dead, including Lockdown.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Megasonictron

Him being a bounty hunter just added a different flavor to the movie verse. A bounty hunter is always interesting it’s why boba fett is loved in Star Wars

• Like Like x 1
  15. Autobot Burnout

News Credits:
    And what flavor is that, I might add? What did he do that, if he were a full Decepticon, would have happened differently? A third party in concept sounds interesting but all he ever did was go after Autobots. Not a single Decepticon died by his hand.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Megasonictron

They should have had him hunting decepticons but I guess there weren’t any active during the movie for some reason. The flavor is being seemingly hate both sides autobots and decepticons. But yes they should have shown more

17. Galvatross

Galvatross Mask-free zone Veteran

Lockdown is great for two main reasons.

1. His motivations are more complex than your typical TF character, just like a real human being. He's not just a bounty hunter, but a bounty hunter who has an ideology.

Lockdown rejects the factions and hates the war and its effect on the cosmos, and sees it as his job to clean it up and hunt them down. He thinks his own allies, both human and alien, are incompetent, and in the case of humans and other species, egotistical and short-sighted. He doesn't like the following: causes, factions, the war, his human allies, Earth, the abilities of his own crew, etc. The only thing in the universe he enjoys is his job ("As much as I have enjoyed the hunt, I won't miss your wretched planet."). And all of that makes him a great adaptation of the Animated character.

2. The best antagonists are those who, while they go about it the wrong way and do bad things, are also not wrong for thinking the way they do. Lockdown is not wrong for thinking humans and other species are egotistical. He's not wrong for rejecting causes and factions, or for thinking the Autobot-Decepticon war has damaged the universe.

It's kind of like how TDK Joker is so great. Even if many of the things Joker does are wrong, many of the things he says and the reasons he does things are absolutely right. I would say Heath Ledger's Joker is the more iconic and better of the two characters, but that doesn't mean Lockdown isn't a compelling character in his own right. He's certainly a compelling character for a Transformers movie in my opinion.

Of course, he also IS cool. He's skilled without being overpowered. He has a lot of cool weapons (integrated or otherwise) and technology that he uses. Mark Ryan does a great job voicing him.

• Like Like x 8
  18. DinobotPrime

DinobotPrime Well-Known Member

I’ve been lurking on this thread for a bit now, but haven’t said anything. AoE is right in the middle of the Bayverse movies for me. It’s better than RotF and TLK. I think the first 2/3rds are better and less boring than Dark of the Moon, but the finale of DotM is what puts it above for me. I love the invasion of Chicago and I think Sentinel is better than Lockdown and Galvatron. The first movie is still my favorite, but I think on a whole AoE is extremely close with DotM for second/third place

• Like Like x 6
  19. Autobot Burnout

News Credits:
    It was a three hour film for crying out loud, they easily could have had Decepticons if they wanted.

• Like Like x 2
  20. cybeast

cybeast Not Spinister, But Punster

Lockdown is an interesting idea (A bot that works for neither Autobot or Decepticon, but instead for himself), but never got portrayed right tbh, just like Boba Fett.

• Like Like x 4