Thoughts on Age of Extinction?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by OmegaPrime22, Jun 25, 2021.

1. OmegaPrime22

OmegaPrime22 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    As the film turns 7 years old this weekend? Overall I like it. Its a bit long. Definitely could have taken off 20-25min But in some ways I love it for its length to. Its one of those movies I can watch on a Sunday afternoon to kill a few hours and just have fun with it. I remember some fans being let down with it since it wasn't a full on reboot and that Shia and Tyrese didn't come back. And of course Ratchet being killed off. What are your thoughts on AoE?

• Like Like x 4
  2. TFXProtector

TFXProtector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I liked the idea of the story, it was kind of neat to have a conspiracy, but the execution is where it failed. Then, there's the scene we'll just not discuss, and it all sank.

At least 30 minutes could've been cut. Snip, snip, chop, chop.

There were some great ideas, especially Lockdown, but they missed the mark and it is a shame.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Scarlet knight

Scarlet knight Emergency Food Connoisseur

News Credits:
    It's my personal favorite of the live action movies, it definitely could've been shorter, but there's a lot I love about it. The Transformers felt a lot more like people and not set pieces, the VA cast was incredible, and Lockdown is the best live action villain we've gotten.

This movie holds a special place in my heart.

• Like Like x 7
  4. Yellow Shirted Kid

Yellow Shirted Kid Just an Average Police Officer

YouTube:
    Killing off all the original autobot cast except Bee and Prime wasn't cool, and of course the Dinobots got a small amount of screentime. The movie should also be way shorter and the product placement is just overboard.

That said, i still somewhat like the film. I give it a 6/10.

• Like Like x 4
  5. Revoticus

Revoticus Big Combaticon fan

I really like it.

It manage to entertain me enough that I gave the movies a second chance after being somewhat letdown by DOTM(my mind's changed about that movie now) and gave me perspective on movie watching in general. You can like what you want and don't need other people's validation to like it.

About the movie itself it was a step in the right direction to have more robot time compared to previous movies and have the important humans stories connected with the Autobots to make them more relevant. Optimus got more lines and focus here like he had a little bit in DOTM and the new Autobots were fun to watch.

The score was nice too, I quite like all of the new songs and soundtracks in AOE. The atmosphere at the start of the movie was good too, it was serene and simple before the many plot kicks off.

I do not like the bloated human scenes by the end on the other hand. It involves no Transformers action and could be cut out entirely and the ending was rushed, I can't defend that.

• Like Like x 2
  6. PrimeSmokescreen 04

PrimeSmokescreen 04 Well-Known Member

I agree that it's conceptually really cool, but it failed in execution. I almost think the movie would've been better as a 2 parter with part 1 revolving around optimus on the run from lockdown and cemetery wind, being taken in by cade, and defeating him with cades help, ending the movie on optimus reuniting with the autobots. Part 2 would be about Galvatron revolting against cemetery wind and attempting to cyberform china. Maybe streamline it a bit and make Megatrons head hire lockdown bts instead of the "creators" and ksi being merged with cemetery wind. Optimus also has the potential to have a really great arc about his disillusionment to humanity, and learning to hope again. Making 2 parts would give this time to breath while keeping the excessive bayhem

• Like Like x 1
  7. 96megatron

96megatron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think it's the best of the Transformers film franchise. I really love the characters (Optimus, Megatron, Cade, Joshua, Attinger, Megatron, Lockdown, Crosshairs, Bumblebee/Stinger/Strafe Dynamic, Drift, and Hound) and story, Optimus' storyline is the most I've been invested in the character since the UT, which before DOTM was my all time favorite version, although Shane and his scenes are my only negative, minus the scene when Tessa is asleep and him and Cade have the heart-to-heart about what will happen with Tessa when he's no longer around, reminds me of my dad and the issues he had with my sister's boyfriend, really hit close to home. I think this film and ROTF are the only films when the female character isn't active most of the time. Mikaela was dragged around by Sam in ROTF (though she saved Sam from Alice) and Tessa in AOE was mostly reduced a screaming, frantic mess (though she helped pulls Prime's sword from his chest).

I love that Megatron basically played everyone and got away at the end, even though honestly he would have gotten away with the seed had Joshua not had a change of heart, also luckily Joshua was an asshole to Brains, Lockdown seemingly took care of Optimus, from Megatron's perspective, we the audience knew by then Optimus' had already escaped. Yes I call him Megatron, after all it was humans who gave him that name in this continuity and you know how he feels about us. This film, DOTM, and TLK is peak Megatron for me. Although ROTF when Megatron says "The Fallen, my master (teacher, not slave, that's Starscream's association when he directs it to Megatron), the Allspark is destroyed, and without our race will perish", nice seeing some compassion from Megatron, my favorite version of Megatron.

I hope Rise of the Beasts can live up to taking this film's spot, especially since it's Optimus Prime focused, like Age of Extinction was.

• Like Like x 6
  8. BigRed

BigRed Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Should have dropped the Lockdown plot line and focused on "human experiment goes horribly wrong when Megatron's head proves less dead than otherwise thought". It's a bloated that focuses too little on it's more interesting concepts film.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Smokeyoreo18

Smokeyoreo18 Has to wait 241 days till he can watch RotB

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    I Don’t like it, but it does have some cool stuff like the autobots, lockdown, and some of the action scenes.

10. TLK Barricade

TLK Barricade Keep calm and Hail Megatron.

It's far from perfect, but it's still my favorite of the five Bayformers films. The action is great, the soundtrack is fantastic, every Cybertronian (minus the Dinobots, unfortunately) has a distinct personality, Cade is a much more likable protagonist than Sam, Hound is both hilarious and a badass, Megatron/Galvatron is no longer a bitch, and Optimus Prime's aggression finally felt justified (though, to be fair, the Autobots did leave humanity at the mercy of the Decepticons for a bit, so he's not the only one who has a right to be angry).

• Like Like x 4
  11. Shady boi

Shady boi Banned

Ebay:
    Favorite film. also 1nb4 war starts

• Like Like x 4
  12. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde シン・ブリュンヒルド

News Credits:
    Probably my 'least favorite' to re-watch, even for the purpose of reviewing it. As much as I enjoy a good dumpster fire I really don't like to see something I care about as a fan whored out and gutted in such a manner.

I can mostly tolerate the first three movies, they're not good but at the very least they're not too long and don't require much investment as a viewer, I guess. Whereas TLK and AOE are just painful, there are plenty of shit films I'd rather re-watch then either of those. Though to be fair I'd kind be in the same mindset with any of the Bay directed films, but perhaps that's just due to having exposed myself to them so much in preparation for something I've been working on, on and off for the past several years at this point.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  13. DarkAxalonSyde

DarkAxalonSyde Advocate for orignality in Transformers.

I was going to write an in-depth response, until I realized the wall of text was going to get out of hand. Instead, I'll just summarize.

Age of Extinction is my favorite Bayformers sequel, but it isn't the best. On the positive side, it puts more focus on Optimus' character; it restricts the Autobots to a small and memorable group; each character brings something distinct to an action scene; the Decepticons aren't embarrassed (mostly because they're barely in it); not to mention the toilet humor is toned down. Unfortunately, the film has too much going on; it's poorly paced and edited; the Autobots were too violent to be sympathetic; the Dinobots were barely in it; and unfortunately, the film can be added to the list of overly seriously and edgy Transformers media that doesn't have the writing quality to back it up.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Shadow25

Shadow25 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have a LOT to say about AOE. I actually did an edit of the movie that so far cut close to 20 mins and I'm still looking to trim more. I made a thread about it here a while back.

In short, from a storytelling perspective I think it's the most ambitious of the films by far. It takes genuine risks and takes the characters and world to genuinely new places. It takes to heart several recurring criticisms of previous films. No military. Smaller cast of robots that all get a lot more focus. Plot that is completely centered around Transformers (no finding a job, no college life, etc.).

It's the first movie in which Optimus feels like the main character, and I like that they were game to try something new. I think Ehren Kruger gets a lot of undue flack here, but I think his work on DOTM and AOE shows that he understands the franchise and wants to challenge certain conventions of it, in a good way. The human cast is also pared down and more effective.

Problems galore, though, namely runtime. The movie is tremendously bloated and that bloat distracts from what is an engaging core story. On one hand, Shane and Tessa are already together. Great. Romance plot over. On the other, way too much time spent on Cade learning to accept it. Way too much time on random extraneous things none of which even count as subplots but eat up runtime anyway. The 10 mins of Hong Kong shenanigans are absurd. And the Creators stuff... if that was followed up on in the sequel in a satisfying way, then it's vagueness and open-endedness would be more easily forgiven here, but it wasn't, so AOE ends up losing points there too.

But there is a lot to like about the movie that often gets lost behind the easy to make criticisms. I would highly recommend watching Vangelus's review of the movie which hits on a lot of this very well.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Dukeup Nukhead

News Credits:
    Its a film that was slapped together to do one thing, and that was exploit the hell out of an opportunity to milk the Chinese box office. Otherwise, it's a completely unoriginal and poorly produced pile of burning dog shit composed of half-baked ideas that result in a plot that goes nowhere.

Seriously, the old Dreamwave G1. Vol 1 6-issue series is the same fucking plot, what with combining the Key to Vector Sigma G1 episodes and the idea of some human trying to use Transformers as black market weapons (including Megatron who is only pretending to be mind controlled) and it's a hell of a lot better because it doesn't need gimmicks like 'Transformium' where Galvatron flies around without limbs longer than Japanese super robot combination stock footage, the most pretentiously faux-deep villain in the franchise who can't decide how personally invested he is in being around in the first place, or the fading star power of Mark Whalberg.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Galvatron1998

Galvatron1998 Maximal

News Credits:
    Like all of the movies, there's a lot of good ideas to be found. I liked that they gave more screen time for the Transformers (even if I wasn't a fan of how the characters were portrayed) and tried to tell a more "expansive" story. However, the film is way too bloated and goes overboard with the "Bayisms". I don't hate Michael Bay (I actually think he's excellent at what he does) but he should have left the franchise after DotM. In the right hands this could have been a good movie but as it stands it's definitely one of the weaker entries in the TF film series.

17. Galvatross

Galvatross Mask-free zone Veteran

I was going to post a seventh anniversary thread about Age of Extinction, given it was also seven years in between the 2007 movie and AoE. However, with this thread, I will post here instead.

After DotM, I felt like, even with Megatron and the other main Decepticons dead, that there were more stories to tell in the Bayverse. Initially, I actually wanted something more in line with the first three movies. I wanted more in the way of well known Decepticons and more N.E.S.T. and what not. More of the grey scrap metal Cons. Etcetera.

Part of the fun with the movie and its production after Dark of the Moon was that nobody had any idea what direction the production was going to go. There was the JoBlo rumors of Lockdown and Dinobots and Galvatron and Hound and Drift that turned out to be true, but few people knew that for certain at the time. Everything was speculative. We got new modes for Bee and Prime, confirmation of Hound, two Autobot vehicles, and several other vehicles. Until early 2014, the identity of these vehicles was speculation.

Come movie day, my expectations were tempered a bit. Critics were blasting it as the worst thing in the Bay film franchise yet...and it was anything but. It was a fantastic Transformers movie. It was visually imaginative. It was, "Beyond Good, Beyond Evil, Beyond your wildest imagination." It was exciting for much of its length, and even moving at times. It followed Dark of the Moon in a very logical manner and made sense in-universe. It wasn't the Transformers movie I had previously wanted, but sometimes it's better getting a movie you previously didn't want than one you do, and I'm glad we got a movie about Optimus Prime losing his faith due to humans allying with Lockdown, melting down Autobots. and allowing Galvatron to enter the picture, only for Prime to regain that faith due to his friendship with Cade. Looking back, I think it was a much more interesting choice than a more traditional Autobots vs Decepticons war story.

Here's another thing Age of Extinction has that will always be the only: it will always be the only Transformers I will have seen in theaters with my dad, because he has since passed away. His opinion? He loved it. It's great to watch a movie with someone who has no care for the brand, but they can still enjoy themselves.

I ended up driving for over five hours after watching it, and it made me think for the entirety of the trip, and that's something that rarely happens with movies for me. Making me think is quite an accomplishment in my book. It means it had an impact.

Is Age of Extinction an all time cinematic masterpiece? No, but neither are any of the other movies. Is Age of Extinction worse as an overall story or movie than its predecessors? No. If anything, I think it's more thematically fascinating than what came before. All of its antagonists are linked by the theme of how attempts at absolute control will fail absolutely, and all of its protagonists are representative of how, "You gotta look at all the junk and see the treasure," and for an ogre-the-top summer blockbuster, that's really cool and underappreciated. That first theme is especially poignant, as boy is it true of the modern world and events of the last few years. Like Michael Bay said in its production, "The world has now progressed to a point it can cannibalize and kill itself." Finally, it was creatively risky; its very existence was arguably a risk, and yet it was a success in my book. It's not perfect, but it is Shrektastic!

A few more things of note...

-It's really awesome having a Psittacosaurus and heterodontosaurids with integument based on real fossil discoveries.

-What makes Lockdown such an awesome villain isn't that he's cool or does cool things or that he's skillful; it's that he has a point. He's not just a bounty hunter. He's a bounty hunter with a worldview. The best villains are those who are actually right in what they say and why they do things, even if what they do is wrong. Lockdown is right for hating what the Autobot-Decepticon war has done to the universe. He's right in viewing our species as egomaniacal. He's right in thinking allegiance to factions and causes will betray an individual.

-The voice acting in this movie is fantastic!

-Transformium is a really cool and underrated concept that actually explains many aspects about Transformers.

-Galvatron is kind a subversion of his Season 3 equivalent, as Season 3 Galvatron was so crazy, he was a detriment to the Decepticons. AoE Galvatron/TLK Megatron is the opposite, as he's the only one keeping the faction alive at all it seems, to the point he is the only sentient Decepticon in AoE.

-Shane isn't a great character by any stretch, but I also feel he doesn't drag the movie down much either.

-The first three movies are reminiscent of the idealism of the 2000s. AoE and TLK also reflect their times, as the world has become more cynical and dystopian.

-The Dinobots, while they don't talk, are really cool as the climax's cavalry, and I'd rather the cavalry be giant Cybertronian archosaurs than a U.S. military strike.

Anyway, these are some of my opinions, some which may admittedly not be widely shared. It may not be everyone's cup of tea, but it is my favorite movie from the Transformers brand so far. There's plenty more I can say, but that's it for now. I think Transformers thrives best on the edge of insanity, and Age of Extinction dwells on that edge. It's just bizarre enough to make one go, "WTF?" at times, but it also has enough logic and thematic and narrative connections woven through its length to make for a compelling whole. Personally, I hope Transformers can get back to that edge. I immensely look forward to Rise of the Beasts and whatever Caples has in store for us, as that has the potential to be as interesting as AoE was.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2021
    • Like Like x 6
  18. electronic456

electronic456 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    AOE is exhaustingly long and has moments that can be disposed because of it. But it is filled with a lot of things I appreciate it for. It’s a movie with balls.

I remember the days after DOTM was released how one of the major complaints was that personality in a Transformer was scarce. So to see Hound, Drift and Crosshairs be given the dialogue in certain scenes was significant. Nobody however said a thing about kibble on robots back then so I don’t know where those complaints were during 2011-2013.

In between moments of family drama and maybe somewhat heavy handed product placement and government talking. There is plenty in AOE that makes it stand out.

All Transformers are now fugitives; man-made Transformers being put in place and an introduction to a new faction of Transformers. These are all great.

This is the movie for sure in which Optimus had a story to follow. And aside from the first movie, Megatron was not taking orders from another being and instead was working in the shadows like he’s Skynet.

So from watching it from a robot perspective, it was fun? Yeah?
    Is this really a fact? Compared to Shia or Megan Fox, I’d argue he’s far more prominent in terms of star power(he’s gonna be Sully in the upcoming Uncharted movie which is kind of a big deal). I mean Shia these days is more recluse as he’s sticking with smaller films like Peanut Butter Falcon or compared to Megan Fox whose movies I only seem to be aware of as soon as IGN posts the trailer for them.

• Like Like x 3
  19. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    DotM is my favorite movie and AoE is my second favorite. I thought we were on a good trajectory with the Transformer movies but then TLK and Bumblebee really disappointed me...

• Like Like x 2
  20. TFXProtector

TFXProtector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I thought Kelsey Grammer and Titus Welliver made for really solid villains. In some ways, I thought they were more sinister than Lockdown. Lockdown was a glorified errand boy (who looked and seemed [email protected]$$ at times but ultimately wasted), and these two... Murderous psychopaths. One for vengeance, one for money, both played out backstories, but they pulled it off quite well. Lockdown would kill because he absolutely had to, no matter who you were, but those two? They enjoyed it. It was at least realistic in that aspect.

It's a shame they didn't get more screentime with the Transformers themselves and a chance to chew up the scenery some more.