Thought would be crap, turned to gold...

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Mattress T, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Mattress T

Mattress T Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    What transformer did you HAVE TO HAVE that you thought would be terrible, but turned out to be gold? I got AM smokescreen, mainly to complete the prime cast, but ended up really liking him...

2. bobbyjack

bobbyjack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I bought RTS Lugnut when I first started collecting. Didn't even know who this character was, just that he turned into a plane and I thought my 3 year old would like it. Not only did it become one of my son"s favorites, but when we started watching Transformers:Animated, it made having the character that much better.

3. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Handle):
    TFP voyager Bulkhead, I heard how the FE was so much better and how this was a cheap knock off. But its a pretty good figure to me.

4. Mattress T

Mattress T Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I love the fe mold, but I agree the prid was not as bad as its rep...

5. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't think I can list any. I don't buy figures that I think are going to be crap.

6. Sideways77

Sideways77 #1 flareup simp

News Credits:
    Defiantly RiD Bulkhead, Optimus, and Knockout.

7. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    Every single time I buy yet ANOTHER version of that damn Classics Seeker mold, I just think it's going to be one more of the same. And yet, each one of my Seekers has their own individual reasons for being unique and likable.

Thankfully, I only need Ramjet now and I'll have all seven official characters.

8. griffn29

griffn29 Well-Known Member

I initially had an aversion to RID Bumblebee, solely due to a scathing review in the feedback thread. It is currently one of my all time favorite toys.

9. Fallout

Fallout Banned

News Credits:
    prime commander optimus and starscream. both seemed okay but man, in-hand they're really great (especially starscream).

10. Powersa

Powersa Car Robots

News Credits:
    Classics Devastator, ROTF Bruticus, SDCC Bruticus

11. JacobPGalvatron

JacobPGalvatron Storm Trooper #1

Most of the Powercores: I was only gonna get Huffer, just to see if I liked the idea. I ended up with the entire line.

GDO Hotspot: I got him as present, and I'm not one that's really for all the Classics or Universe stuff, save for a few choice characters, but I feel in love with this figure almost immediately.

PRiD Airachnid: This is gonna sound really weird, but in a line that's I think is generally pretty swell, I find that there is a certain charm about her. She's undeniably the worst figure in the line, but I can't help but thinking she's pretty neat if only because of that fact.

Edit:
    The Prime Entertainment Pack: I was only getting it for the kids, but the figures are actually pretty good, Megatron especially.

12. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha Well-Known Member

FE Bulkhead might be more screen-accurate and a more innovative design overall, but mainline Bulkhead is far from a bad figure. It doesn't deserve the vitriol that people dole out on it. I use it as Classics Bulkhead, and that works pretty well.

As for me, I thought I would hate Alternity Bee and Cliffjumper. I bashed them enthusiastically when the first pics showed up. But once I had them in hand I really enjoyed them and their awkward design became very endearing. Now, ironically, they're the only Alternity figures I still like.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
  13. zephon

zephon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have to go with the TFP Entertainment pack. I really got it for the kids but I ended up liking it. Quite a pity Optimus is already missing his hands and Megatron is missing....stuff. Kids will be kids....

14. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    Animated Blackarachnia. Passed on her due to reading some negative feedback. Months later, a friend called me stupid and made me buy her. I did, and was blown away.

15. NemiMonkey

NemiMonkey Sad Derpfester Noises

News Credits:
    Cybertron Sideways- only bought him to buy something and wasn't expecting much. A week later and I loved that fig. He now stands as one of universe 2.0 Nemesis Primes flyers.

Cybertron Armorhide- Bought him in a 2-pack with scattorshot for around 5. Thought he looked decent enough, but fiddling with him he's actually pretty neat for such a small guy. Would have paid retail easily, but as it is he was free so big win there.

Animated Lugnut- wasn't really into the animated figures when they came out especially after hearing about QC and plastic quality. Watched a review or two, bit the bullet and never looked back. He's small and a little top heavy, but he sure is fun to mess around with.

16. Paladine

Paladine Well-Known Member

I'm confused why anybody would think a figure was terrible, yet HAD TO HAVE it. I know we're OCD collectors, but it still doesn't make sense.

17. IronicHide

IronicHide MEME GO HERE

PCC Smolder - bought when PCC were a novelty and the character bio listed him as a pyromaniac. OK, bought on a whim. Also, it's a firetruck.

Turns out, it's in my top five TFs of all time. I have no idea why.

18. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    I don't buy figures that I think will be crap. That does not make sense.

19. Powersa

Powersa Car Robots

News Credits:
    Heavy discount, 50% -70% off, and groupon, on things otherwise not worth a try

20. shiftypenguin

shiftypenguin Fancy-Pantsless Dancer

News Credits:
    GDO wheelie. I got him because I'm a Classics completist, but he's got a lot of personality.