Those of us who liked TF2 not sufficiently evolved

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by AZA2, Jul 7, 2009.

1. Transfan2

Transfan2 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My point is all the critics (like Mr.Ebert) are just expressing their opinion(s) on the movie and I respect that.

Even if I don't agree with them, I am a person who will respect anyone's opinion as much as they respect my own.

So I say...Just watch the movie and make your opinion. ^^

-TF2

2. TankRizzo

TankRizzo Well-Known Member

As you see more movies in your life, I promise you, your opinions will evolve. That's just life...but do you really believe it's a GOOD movie...without using any qualifiers like "turn off your brain" or "popcorn flick"?

3. Turnpike

Turnpike Brawl is my bee-otch

Ebert has failed to understand that Bay's films are there only for pure entertainment value for the mass audience, and not meant in any way to be a "cinematic work of art", let alone a cinematic masterpiece.

It's all about having fun at the expense of all else.
    To hell with story, to hell with character, it's all about sitting there, chomping down on those calorie bombs while grinning like an idiot with the brain turned off, as the special effects flash across the screen.

If Ebert hasn't caught on this by now, he truly is the most ignorant "critic" in the profession, or he just flat out fails at his job.
    Same goes for all other critics.

TF2 was good only in the regards of having fun. If I want story, character, then Hollywood would be the last place I would look.
    Especially in this day and age.

4. TankRizzo

So, after all of that ranting you basically just did a 180 and validated his argument. So, as a film (he is a film critic), ROTF isn't good. As a string of action scenes, dazzling CGI and "having fun", yeah, I suppose you could say it's good, but as an overall package, as a complete movie graded against other movies of the same genre, it doesn't quite stack up.

5. Poho

Poho That's MISTER Poho to you

News Credits:
    after re-reading what he said carefully, i don't find it offensive. he's still wrong though. everyone has different tastes and opinions. just caused he's paid for his doesn't him right or higher up than us.

6. Trell

Trell Paladin

Yeah I do think it's a good movie.

How can you enjoy bad movies? They're bad for a reason right?

I know I'm still young, but watching certain movies doesn't take a certain age limit. (MPAA yeah I know) I don't need to age a decade in order to change my opinion.

Have you ever seen Roots, The Color Purple, Rosewood?

I actually have seen movies that date back 40 to 30 years.

Yes I actually did think West Side Story was good, minus the singing. Blade Runner, Predator 1 & 2, Aliens, the movies of the 80's and 90's.
    The original Day the Earth Stood Still was better than the reboot, I loved all of Clint Eastwood's movies.

My Mom used to be the manager of a video store, we got movies for free.

Don't tell me I need to watch more movies, you people are really do act like things are only Black and White.

Is there really no middle ground?

No I don't need qualifiers like turn your brain off, or popcorn flick. I followed ROTF just fine, I noticed flaws and asked questions like:

Why the hell, didn't they just use the shard, to bring back Prime, instead of going through Jetfire?

But that question ignored itself when I was introduced TOO Jetfire.

I understood what ROTF was about, I understood the plot, it was just simple as hell and scattered.

Now regardless of my past experiences, I am
    People love to paint with big, broad ass brushes as if everybody is the same, and thus anybody different must be
    And you can't say he's directing that at vicous fanboys, if that's the case, then Ebert himself should have said so.

7. Spoon

Spoon Banned

Go on.

Take him seriously.

You twats.

There are much better films out there. The are even better mindless popcorn films.

8. Surge

Surge Village Dolt

News Credits:
    I saw that this morning and I hate Roger Ebert's guts even more now. I can't believe the asshole is basically calling anyone who liked ROTF, an idiot. What a douchebag. I really hope Michael Bay sees his post and backfires in an interview. I can see it right now. Michael Bay, facing the camera during an interview, point his finger and saying, "Ebert, this is for you. I saw your post about my movie and insulting my fans. You know what I have to say? You are a *censored* sack of *censored* *censored*. Maybe it's time for you to retire." haha, I would love every moment of it. :lol 

9. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

Congrats! You just proved everything Ebert said 100% correct with one post.

And a good film doesn't always equal an entertaining film. Some people just don't seem to understand that. Example: Ring of Darkness (2004). A horribly made movie about a boy band of zombies. It was not a good movie not in the least, but it was entertaining as all hell.

10. SkywarpSion

SkywarpSion Well-Known Member

I grew up with movies like "the good, bad and the ugly" "Seven Samurai" "Godfather" "Casablanca" "Citizen Kane" and many more and i liked them, but i also enjoyed TF2, i thought it was AWESOME. HOUSTON WE HAVE A PROBLEM :D 

11. TankRizzo

Easily, there are a ton of bad movies that I recognize as bad, but love them all the same. Look at the following Troma movies has. I don't think any of them would argue what a cinematic masterpiece Toxic Avengers 6 is, but they embrace it all the same.

I wasn't going to tell you you needed to watch more movies, I was simply stating that AS you watch more movies your opinions and tastes in them will change. That comment I made was completely detached from anything Transformers related and just stating a fact. It's life.

I don't think anyone really had issue with the plot or understanding it, but as you pointed out it was scattered and not presented well. Which still leads me back to the point that the movie, as a whole, is not good. Entertaining, yes, but good...you've got a tough sell on your hands there, the more you elaborate, the more excuses you're going to have to make for the movie and all of it's shortcomings.

12. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

This needs to be quoted, since I suspect there's some degree of tl;dr going on. If you enjoyed the movie, great. I enjoyed parts of it, but as a whole, compared to the first, other movies in the same ballpark, to say nothing of the entire history of cinema, it's just not a very good film. Enjoying nostalgia coupled with Baysplosions is fine, and understandable, but to say it's the 'best movie evar' (or even halfway decent) from a purely technical/moviemaking aspect and/or somehow a superior film to the likes of Citizen Kane or The Godfather is ridiculous, and won't find many sympathetic ears outside the fandom. You can like it; it can even be your favorite movie, but it is in no way, shape or form, The Best, or even especially good, objectively. On that, I wholeheartedly agree with him, even if his initial review was a bit hyperbolic. But then, so is the movie. He does get bonus points for showing the Robot chicken clip.

Frankly, it's just not worth getting all that worked up about one way or the other, IMO. The extreme hate and excessive praise are disproportionate considering the quality of the movie. The CGI is really fucking good, but the story and toilet humor are really fucking bad, landing the whole effort squarely in the Meh category. It ain't Plan 9 or Casablanca. It's somewhere in the middle of Bay's own filmography, which itself straddles the line between bad and good. It ain't Pearl Harbor, but it ain't The Rock either.

13. 9.8m/s^2

9.8m/s^2 What's in a name?

Can't help but be one, in this town. I don't paint myself blue or anything, though. :) 

Also, in response to another post....Ebert may be a failed filmmaker, but he is an extremely successful writer by critical, popular, and financial measures.

The abuse heaped on him is neverending. Remember when TF2007 came out, he gave it a good review, and all the people on this forum who hated the movie said....oh, about the same thing people who love RotF are saying now.

The man can't win.

14. Coolyfett

Coolyfett Well-Known Member

Bingo!! Tag Em & Bag Em!!

I love Ebert's passion. It is beautiful many critics still have a great sense of reality. Thank you Mr. Ebert.

15. Trell

Trell Paladin

Now I have no excuses for this movie. IT COULD HAVE BEEN SO MUCH BETTER!!!! YES I DO RECOGNIZE THIS FACT!!!

But it's what we got, and some say because of that: "I just accept everything I'm given." Which isn't true, but I don't want to be disappointed or unhappy with something like a movie.

It was with Ghost Rider, I had such expectations for that movie. And it's probably the most hated comic book adaption for me now. . .

Basically:

In the Entertainment Industry, I thought entertainment was the first priority.

It seems entertaining doesn't mean good anymore.

How can a movie be entertaining but a filmmaking fail? I guess from now on we can all look at ROTF for that answer . . .

Last edited: Jul 7, 2009
  16. AnimatedFan

AnimatedFan Banned

He's entitled to his opinion. He has had some excellent points in the past, and he's also been wrong, just like every person on the planet.

My problem with him is his intensity on this subject. He's so...energized about his hatred for this film.

It truly makes no sense to me how he could like the first one, but hate this one so much. And the other critics hating it as well.

That just mystifies me. ROTF isn't an Oscar winner by any means, but they say it's "More of the same" as the first one, and they liked the first one, so someone please tell me why this one is so hated?

It makes absolutely no sense to me, and it's making the critics look like loons. The movie's already made $600+ million at the world wide box office, already matching and close to overtaking the first film's total haul...but in a little over two weeks.

A group of people can be wrong, but that many? With a take of 600 mil, the film's obviously doing something right, and the entire world can't have bad taste. (Not saying the film is bad taste, I'm trying to make a point.)

So this is one time where I must say the critics are making no sense, at all. Even when I don't agree with their opinions on movies in general, I can at least see their argument and say "Well, they're entitled to that. I agree to disagree" and continue to enjoy or hate the film in question.

I can't with ROTF. If it's more of what was in the first film and they liked the first one, their utter hatred for this one makes no sense.

Their hatred, period, makes no sense. I mean some of it just comes across as though they're becoming unhinged about this movie. I mean, for fuck's sake...it's a movie! It's not going to change your life, it hasn't robbed a bank, it hasn't killed anyone, it hasn't kicked someone's puppy, yet this movie is hated like you'd hate a killer.

If it were possible to take this movie and turn it into a living being, that person it would become, would be persecuted, hunted, and shot dead in cold blood. That's the kind of hatred we're seeing here and it makes absolutely no sense.

Don't like it, that's your right. By all means have your opinion, be entitled to it, but be sensible about the whole thing, don't go insane over a movie.

^ THIS. Common sense like this goes a long way.

Oh please spare us the constant bullshit. You're only agreeing with him because he shares the same hateful view of the movie as you do. If he liked the film, you'd vilify him and want his head on stick. You know it, and we know it. So why keep up with this facade?

We get it, you don't like the movie (and if I remember correctly, not the first one either), and you're entitled to that, but don't blow sunshine up our asses and pretend like you give a damn what Ebert or any other critic thinks. You only care what you think (which is fine), but you're lying to yourself and to us if you really think you give a damn what Ebert thinks. The instant he flips on you, you'll be back to "Oh that son of a bitch doesn't know what the hell he's talking about! Ya'll haters can go to hell!"

And it's just a matter of time before you make that post. I'll be waiting and watching, if only to have a sense of satisfaction in knowing I was right.

You, like him, hate the movie to a rather unreasonable level. And like him, shows us that it's just crazy to get that upset over a movie.

17. ultra lynx

ultra lynx Active Member

Ebert is a douchebag. Dont you all reaLIze yet that a good portion of the public do the oppisite of what the critics say? Ebert saying ROTF sucks did it more good than harm . I mean look at the B O take Bay and CO are laughing all the way to the bank all the while giving all you fanboys nay sayers and the critics the middle finger.

18. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl

Just ignore Ebert. He's just not worth our time. Besides, let us be the judge of what's good and what's not in the movies that we go see. Not everyone's going to all agree that a particular movie "sucks" or "rocks."

19. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    That's probably my main problem with Ebert. He's not letting the issue drop. You don't like it. Fine. But don't go treating it like it's the "Howard the Duck" of the action genre.....cause it's not....."Howard the Duck" is.

The same goes for his opinion on those who like the movie. I like ROTF, but I also like "The Dark Knight" and "Spider-Man 2". 2 films he raved about. Just cause a lot of people like the movie doesn't mean they have terrible taste.

20. Xhairs

Xhairs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    wow that guy is a snob. i like Tf2 as it had everything that i wanted.