Thor (4) - Love and Thunder - Movie Discussion

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by eagc7, Jul 16, 2019.

1. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    THOR: LOVE AND THUNDER First Concept Art Revealed During Taika Waititi's RAGNAROK Instagram Live Commentary

Academy Award-winning writer/director Taika Waititi (Jojo Rabbit) is currently in the midst of hosting an Instagram Live commentary for his 2017 Marvel blockbuster Thor: Ragnarok and to kick the evening off, he shared a few exclusive pieces of concept art from his next hotly awaited Marvel project, Thor: Love and Thunder.

None of the images are particularly revealing, at least as far as plot details are concerned, but they do offer an updated look at the expansion of New Asgard under the rule of Valkyrie (Tessa Thompson) and also confirm the return of Miek (Stephen Murdoch), who has been revealed to actually be female.

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

The Viking ships are cool to see.

But Miek as female sounds like a bad joke IMO.

• Like Like x 1
  2. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    Taika Waititi teases space sharks, says Thor: Love and Thunder makes Ragnarok look safe
    Thor: Love and Thunder story finished, but Thor's weight 'ongoing discussion' with Marvel

The director/voice of Korg said that Thor’s onscreen look hasn’t been decided on, and that the debate over reviving “Lebowski” Thor or just letting that look enjoy a peaceful retirement in New Asgard is still a point of continuing discussion at Marvel Studios.

“This is an ongoing debate that we're still having at Marvel,” he explained. “‘Cause we're trying to figure out how long — how many months or years — this is after Endgame; at what point does this take place?”

That makes it sound as if Waititi knows the role each character will play in relation to the other — a pretty big deal in itself, considering all the fan speculation there’s been over how Natalie Portman’s return to the series as Jane Foster will fit in. But it also sounds as though the finished story has a certain amount of built-in flexibility, since Waititi is still hashing out with the studio the important detail of pegging exactly when, in the MCU timeline, Love and Thunder will unfold.

Whatever Waititi and Marvel agree on, the final decision will have everything to do with playing to Thor’s innate comedic strengths (not to mention, y’know, his actual superpowers). “I think we always want to keep changing it up with Thor,” Waititi said. “He’s so interesting when he's changing all the time.”

However, Waititi offered fans some hints: “Space sharks. If you look up space sharks, you’ll get an idea of what the film is going to be,” he said — and truly, we don’t know if he was joking.

Waititi also divulged that the Ragnarok followup “makes Ragnarok seem like a run of the mill, really safe film,” adding that he’s working on some epic action set pieces. “This new film feels like we asked a bunch of 10 year-olds what should be in a movie — and said ‘yes’ to every single thing,” Waititi confessed.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Omegashark18

Omegashark18 Combaticon turned Autobot

News Credits:
    Still debating on this whole thing, that’s a bit concerning.

As for Miek dressing as a female, it kind of reminds me of Pleakly from Lilo & Stitch.

4. Autoboticon

Autoboticon In like a Bot, out like a Con

I'm just going to go with that Miek is agender and as stated above is just a Pleakly-like character.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Pharoid

Pharoid Time Traveling Robot

News Credits:
    Glad Taika is staying crazy as fuck. Love this guy. Hope there are space eagles cause they are much better than space sharks.

• Like Like x 4
  6. Chopperface

Chopperface Chadwick Forever

News Credits:
    Miek was laying eggs in Ragnarok, after all. I’m sure bug gender is pretty different, let alone alien bug gender.

But yes please keep being nuts Taika this is why we love you. Just keep the character and keep owning it.

And yeah they definitely had to expand New Asgard since they got a half of them back in Endgame. And they’ve probably attracted Terrans who wanna join the newly booming alien god city after five years of hell.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Pharoid

News Credits:
    It would have been cool if they set Asgard up in Oklahoma like they did in Secret Invasion. It sets up a great premise and juxtaposition.

• Like Like x 2
  8. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave Bounty Hunter

News Credits:
    I'm probably in the minority for feeling this way, but I hope Waititi doesn't just be crazy for the sake of being crazy. There is such a thing as forced weirdness. I'm all for movies being wacky and not-safe, but it has to feel earned to an extent. That's what I really like about the Guardians of the Galaxy movies. They're wacky as heck, but it feels like everything has a point and an underlying logic to it. Those movies know how to ride that line of being wacky. While I like Ragnarok, I've never been able to fully get into it because at times it feels like wackiness for the sake of wackiness. At times I felt like it was saying "hey, look how wacky we are!" To me the best wackiness is when you don't even question it. Like, a talking Raccoon is super bizarre, but the movie completely sells it.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Chopperface

News Credits:
    That’s fair. Plus Guardians for all its sass has a lot of heavy stuff and despite appearances doesn’t have nearly as much moment breaking as Ragnarok did. Sometimes it’s still too much like when they had the Hasselhoff cameo right after Ego, yanno, revealed he killed Meredith. But I still rank Guardians 2 above Ragnarok for that reason, it did know when to chill and let moments happen.

• Like Like x 2
  10. TheSoundwave

News Credits:
    And even the Hasselhoof cameo made sense because it was set up earlier. I do agree that it was kind of a bad spot to put it.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Pharoid

News Credits:
    Oh my god Ragnarok was so much better than GOTG2. I can’t even remember the plot of GOTG2 did it even move the character’s story forward or change anything? Kurt Russell being a bad guy was the most predictable thing in the history of movies. Did Gamora and Nebula come together as sisters? OMG Yondu’s really a good guy...... what? :rolleyes: 

Talk about Ragnarok “breaking” GOTG2 didn’t have anything to break it’s a paper-thin story to deliver Gunn’s 80’s vibes. Which isn’t such a bad thing cause it’s really fun but every character’s turn is predictable AF. Also Taserface...pretty much sums up the movie.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I liked GOTG2 well enough, but I felt like it was constantly pushing the limit on the jokes. Even during moments when it was trying to have a serious character beat. Almost everything was reduced to jokey stuff. It nearly ruined the movie for me, but there was just (barely) enough in there for it to hold together.

And I did laugh at a lot of the jokes anyway. But I just want to tell them it’s okay to let your audience feel things other than laughter.

13. TheSoundwave

News Credits:
    Honestly, I feel the polar opposite. The characters in Guardians are fairly complex, and Gunn goes into depth with things like Quill coming to terms with his parents and dealing with his own ego. The Guardians movies can get pretty heavy for space adventure movies. To me the '70s/'80s nostalgia serves to add flavor to that stuff. GOTG2 definitely isn't as tight as the first film, but I still think it's fantastic.

To me Ragnarok feels like a very shallow '80s homage. It feels like Waititi saw Guardians and wanted to emulate the '80s vibe, but didn't really attempt to capture any of the depth. The well-constructed scripts and jokes were replaced with a lot of improvising. Even things that could have added depth to Thor aren't dwelt on. Like, it's easy to forget Odin dies in the movie because they move on so fast. Heck, I think Infinity War found a much better balance between funny Thor, while also giving him some depth.

And that's not to say I dislike Ragnarok, per se. I thought it was a fun watch. But to me it kind of feels like a Thor cartoon episode or something. A blast to watch once or twice, but ultimately kind of shallow.

• Like Like x 4
  14. Incepticon

Incepticon |-+-|

News Credits:
    I didn't necessarily dislike GOTG2, but it doesn't hold a candle to the first one, and even after multiple viewings, the only things I remember about it or consider relevant are the introduction of Mantis aaaaaand... well I guess that's about it. Honestly, if it wasn't for my adoration of Rocket and all his angry smart assery, I don't know if I would have ever watched it more than once.

Ragnarok, on the other hand, I thought was gangbusters from start to finish. And not just because it was funny and whatever else - I think it just genuinely captured that character in perfect form, all the other new characters that were introduced, the palette AND pacing, the direct tie-in to Infinity War... it's easily one of the best and most visually 'comic' MCU installments of the bunch as far as I'm concerned.

That said, I'm still not convinced we needed a 4th solo movie here. Guess we'll see soon.

• Like Like x 4
  15. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    The only thing I loved about GOTG2 was My Sweet Lord by George Harrison.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Omegashark18

News Credits:
    Thor: Love and Thunder: Waititi Says [Spoiler] Won't Find Love

Korg won’t be getting any romance.

Waititi explained to Thompson during an Instagram Live that Korg was “deeply in love and lost that love along the line," meaning he won't be jumping into a new relationship. The director added, "He doesn’t feel brave enough to find love again," but promised fans will get to find out more about Korg's Kronan species.

And apparently he is gay in the comics, he was in a relationship with a male gladiator(I’m guessing this was during the whole Planet Hulk storyline or something of the sort). Huh, did not know that.

17. Chopperface

News Credits:
    Aww. Poor Korg. I’m sure he’d be a great partner if he ever comes around to trying to date again. Better than his mom’s boyfriend, anyway.

18. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Proud grandpa

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If I remember correctly, there is no gender in the Kronin species.

And yes, there was a strong bond between Korg and the dude who's name I can't remember (Hiroim maybe), but I can't remember if it was a romantic bond or not. I have the comics buried in storage, but it would be way too much work for me to dig them out to check. :lol 

• Like Like x 1
  19. Omegashark18

News Credits:
    Waititi Spoils One Major Thing NOT in Thor: Love and Thunder

During a recent Instagram Live watch of Thor: Ragnarok, Waititi said the Marvel Cinematic Universe is done with "Fat Thor" and Hemsworth probably won't put on a padded suit for Love and Thunder. "We haven’t figured that out, but I feel like that’s done," Waititi said.

Would quite call it conformation, but I wouldn’t be surprised if Thor is no longer... well fat like he was.

• Like Like x 3
  20. WEEGEE

WEEGEE Cringe memer

News Credits:
    Eh, makes sense narratively speaking since by the end of endgame they'd beat thanos, brought everyone back, and most importantly Thor himself confronted alot of what made him become the big Thorbowski in the first place.

• Like Like x 4