Thor (3): Ragnarok

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by OmegaPrime22, Jan 30, 2014.

1. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My favourite bit is still Tom Hiddleston's fantastic facial expressions during the gladiator sequence.

• Like Like x 2
  2. optimusmegas

optimusmegas Target-Power-Titan-Prime-Battle-Master

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    twilight of the thunder god is one of the easier songs to understand from amon amarth. you can hear what he's saying if you listen. singing aside amon amarth has the better version of the song. it just sounds better than the cover and i love sabaton just as much....hulk is right you can't beat the original.

however this is a pipe dream...you'd never get a song that heavy in a marvel movie...maybe in the background of a club or playing in a car stereo briefly but not showcased in a final battle like how immigrant song was.

• Like Like x 1
  3. ShinGi

ShinGi Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  4. ShinGi

ShinGi Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  5. BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave Behold, Gagatron!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have not commented on this yet... so overall it was a solid Marvel movie, and that's pretty much all I can say. It did things by the numbers and was just... OK. I neither hated nor loved it.
    The CGI was OK, acting was good as expected from actors of this caliber. (Even Hopkins finally acted like he gave a crap about things, not delivering his lines without a hint of emotion or care like in Dark World... he was probably just elated he can get out of this franchise). I loved the relationship building between Loki and Thor, unlike the stupid Avengers Assemble toon that always resets Loki to card-carrying villain, they were not afraid to make the character grow. That was probably the thing I most remember from this movie. That, and the surprisingly obscure alien characters they added to the movie, like the World War Hulk gladiators or Topaz. I had hoped to see some Kree, Skrull or Shi'ar too, but I guess the lawyer wars with Sony are still ongoing.

Now, my main problem though? This movie was basically created by mashing together Ragnarok and World War Hulk, two rather dark stories. And those dark and grisly elements are still there and present... but they are all somehow losing their points when each brutal act (like the killing of the warriors three, the destruction of Asgard, and pretty much everything Hela does) is followed up immediately by a funny quip by a character, a joke, or an otherwise humorous scene. (Such as Hela's scene with Skurge right after killing two characters we have grown to love for 2 movies). This resulted in the movie being... tonally deaf basically. I cannot take Surtur seriously if Thor threats his imprisonment as a joke and talks to a skeleton "buddy". I cannot take Hela or Grandmaster seriously if they crack jokes all the time, even after brutally killing people. Unlike the Joker, they are usually not those kind of villains for whom this portrayal works.
    As a result, there was no feeling of urgency or threat in the air throughout the whole movie for me. I just could not take it seriously, same as Vol 1. of Guardians of the Galaxy.
    I'll say it though, at least unlike Dark World, this was far, far from boring.

6. User_93049

User_93049 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

• Like Like x 7