Thor (3): Ragnarok

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by OmegaPrime22, Jan 30, 2014.

1. MatrixOfWumbo

MatrixOfWumbo I see you

News Credits:
    Andy Serkis should have gotten an Oscar for Gollum, that much I know.

2. Gaastra

Gaastra Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

It's been kind of strange to watch the comic book movies repeat some of the comic book patterns when history is there to tell them how that turns out. The comic book industry had their period of grim, dark, gritty, depressing, no fun, no joy phase because it seemed like grim, dark, grim was going to be the way to sell any comic book. But it's an unsustainable gimmick that falls apart when everything has to have a goth phase. It's like the superhero movies had to learn what comic books had already learned the hard way.

I'm glad to see the trend pushing back to fun escapism. The occasional deep serious superhero story is okay but it should be an occasional thing not let's all leave the fans wondering "why so serious".

• Like Like x 4
  4. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    I won't gush about this film, but I will say there are a ton of comic references from the Simonson and Kirby era that even some of the "easter egg" videos haven't pointed out (that I've seen; I saw a few initially because I didn't recognize onf of the stadium heads [Ares]), one of the big ones being when Thor tossed Mjolnir and held Loki (Odins) head as it was returning; that's right out of a Simonson issue. Intentional or not, during the fight with the Infernir, Thor did a "maelstrom" attack with Mjolnir from the Thor: God of Thunder game on the Wii.

While I see people online bringing up Old King Thor from the comics, given the events, it's far more in line (IMHO) with Rune King Thor; Mjolnir is shattered before the big battle, The warriors three are lost along with many others, with lots of casualties (Sif loses an arm), Asgard is destroyed by Surtur, and while not the same damage, Thor's wounds inflicted by Hela has some semblance to all the torment he suffers, though he doesn't lose both eyes like he does in the story to get the full Rune Powers, but he does come out super powerful and pretty much lightning zaps all his standing foes at the end.

The thing that I love is that this is a real dark story. Thor pays a very high price for everything and there's serious consequences for all of this. However, it's not depressing and dark. It's colorful and fun.

Also, it seems to me that this Valkyrie isn't Brunhilde, though the Valkyrie that shoves her in the flashback does look exactly like the comic mainstay version.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Chopperface

Chopperface Chadwick Forever

News Credits:
    I smelled something for sure during the Norway scenes. Also when they do shots where the camera only has one of them on screen at a time, it smelled fake.

Like the scene we got in the trailers where Tessa is like "does your team have a name?" And it keeps cutting between her and Thor and Bruce. I guess that day Tessa wasn't on the same set as Thor and Bruce? It was odd, and it also popped up with like... well, everywhere. But in particular I noticed it during scenes with the Grandmaster.

6. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Proud grandpa

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Definitely a good weekend for the movie.

It pleases me greatly. :D 

• Like Like x 1
  7. ShinGi

ShinGi Well-Known Member

One of my favorite parts was Hela knocking over the Infinity Gauntlet in Odins Vault and saying that its fake

8. Incepticon

Incepticon This place ain't what it used to be...

News Credits:
    Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade and Back to the Future 3 are the ones that come to mind for me.

9. AutoBobby

AutoBobby The Collector

Just saw it. Ehh, it was alright. Not sure what everyone is gushing over though.

Hela could've been a great villain, but as per usual, she's not in it nearly enough.

We've all known it for months now, but Thor losing his hammer is just plain stupid.

Most of the humor fell flat. At times it felt like they were trying to make this a comedy. I'm all for a good laugh, but you don't need a joke every two minutes.

Using the same Zeppelin song twice in the movie? Lame.....even though it's a great song.

For me, the Thor movies rank down on the bottom of the Marvel movies.

10. Spoiler

Spoiler Autobot Spoiler

News Credits:
    Quite frankly, I loved it. I think that using the "Guardians of the Galaxy" layout, with a combo of action and comedy, worked out great. I may be buyist with Thorverse thanks to Loki, but I definately loved it.

I did feel the CG/green screen for
    Finding Odin/Hela's arrival
    was kind of rushed with the change they did. It did feel unfinished with them changing from
    Hobo Odin to the "retired" Odin

11. SmokeyPrime

SmokeyPrime Well-Known Member

Good but not a great movie. A little weaker than GOTG Vol. 2. It was the funniest MCU movie and all the set designs & costumes were awesome. The ending was strong; a good twist on the Ragnarok prophecy and it was a real consequence. I enjoyed Hulk getting more character and Cate Blanchett gave a charismatic performance. But, Hera had a lot of potential that went underdeveloped. Plus, the plot (like Guardians 2) was kinda wonky.

Hela knocking over the Gauntlet and saying it was fake was a hilarious way to deal with that plot issue.

12. Omegashark18

Omegashark18 Combaticon turned Autobot

News Credits:
    Evidently test audiences didn’t like Hobo Odin. And Waititi decided that an alley in New York City just wasn’t the right atmosphere for
    Odin to die and for Thor to loose his Hammer. So he wanted to give Odin a more dignified death, rather then have him die in an alley like an animal, with all the background noise of Taxis and what not. So he chose to move it to Norway.

• Like Like x 1
  13. BattleUpSaber

BattleUpSaber Result.

News Credits:

14. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Oh yeah, those Norway scenes in particular. Man...

15. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    great movie. audience loved it.

16. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    Easily the best of the 3 movies.
    I’m glad they went full crazy comic book goodness.

17. AutoBobby

AutoBobby The Collector

What I don't get is,
    Thor could beat Surtur himself, but he couldn't beat Hela because she was too powerful. Yet Hela couldn't beat Surtur herself. Doesn't make sense.

18. Purple Heart

Purple Heart Pure Passion

News Credits:
    Thor could beat Surtur in his normal state. At the end Surtur essentially fused with the Eternal Flame, which is also partly the source of Hela’s strength. When Hela pulls power directly from the Flame she just pulls a portion, Surtur fused with the whole damn thing. So Surtur became
    more powerful then Hela.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Searching for the Infin-Honey Stones

News Credits:
    Surtur got a huge power boost from the eternal flame in odin's treasure hall

20. Chopperface

Chopperface Chadwick Forever

News Credits:
    Personally I was able to stomach it because of what was happening when usually I'd be taken out of it. Like I said before, I have a personal connection with Frigga's death last movie, so... yeah, the Norway scene got me.