This Year's Top 3 (Official and 3P)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by lordcryotek, Dec 11, 2019.

1. GX9901DoubleX

GX9901DoubleX Well-Known Member

I thought there were a lot of great releases this year. Off the top of my head I'd probably put these three at the top for now:

MP-44: Now that I've had it and TE-01 for a while, I have to give the nod to MP-44. It just looks better to me (well, from the front anyway, which is what I see 99% of the time) and the articulation is leagues better. It's too expensive and the QC problems are real, but for sheer enjoyment I find it tough to beat.
    [​IMG]

TE-01: After a month or so of owning it I called it my favorite Transformers figure of all time. MP-44 has surpassed it in my book, but it's still a great figure. If MP-44 didn't exist it would be my definitive Prime.
    [​IMG]

DX9 La Hire: Looks great in both modes and cool engineering.
    [​IMG]

Honorable mentions include FT Spoiler, WFC-Seige Astrotrain, MP-45 (yes, I actually like it a lot), TFC ST-Commander, and MMC Azalea.

I'm probably forgetting some other great figures, but these comes to mind as some of the best this year for me.

• Like Like x 4
  2. evilash3373

evilash3373 Well-Known Member

For me, this was the year of the Primes.

Transform Element TE-01
    TFC Toys Supreme Commander (Jungle Version)
    Magic Square B18 Light of Justice

Honorable mention to Fans Hobby M-08 Double Evil, PE Dx09 Metal Dragon, Newage McCoy.

• Like Like x 2
  3. daddytron

daddytron Your mom is an oversized CHUG

My top 3:

1. MMC Saltus - Can't gush about this thing enough. Looks and feels great in all modes and is a ton of fun to mess around with. And built like a brick shithouse, in a way you don't see often today, but still containing plenty of sharp paint and diecast.
    2. Fanstoys Roadking - Absolute engineering marvel in what it pulls off. While looking and feeling fantastic in both modes. Is now the counterargument that always has to be acknowledged when Fanstoys engineering in recent years comes into question.
    3. Transform Element TE-01 Prime. I had a hard time picking between this and MP-44. While MP-44 is pretty much the definitive G1 Prime package, what this one accomplishes at a quarter of the cost, while being absolutely solid, has to be acknowledged and that was the difference for me. Looks spot on in both modes. Better truck mode than MP-44. Very efficient and clever transformation (I actually prefer MP-44's transformation, but this one is more impressive in all that it accomplishes in less steps). Heavy enough to double as a home security device and super durable. My example of why I prefer color breakup through the use of different colored plastics with paint for just faces, accents, or anything else that's absolutely necessary. The only part of him that seems to be even capable of paint chipping is the yellow on his waist, and that has held up better on mine than on MP-44 (even after coating the yellow on MP-44 with two coats of future).

Honorable mentions: MP-44 (Just missed the cut due to price and durability), Fans Hobby Double Evil, Fanstoys Spoiler, Siege Jetfire, Quietus-T (if, as a repaint of a 2018 figure, he qualifies). Unless you have no interest in any of the above characters, or not in THIS scale or aesthetic, you need to own all of these.

Incomplete grade: Never got to mess around with Azalea, the first two Ocular Max Combaticons or MP-45 Bumblebee. So I can't speak to where they would go, but I suspect for me they would all end up just behind the top three and one or two of the honorable mentions.

• Like Like x 6
  4. nobody1898

nobody1898 Well-Known Member

FT Road King is far and away the #1 figure released this year
    MMC Fraudo is my #2
    MP-44 Optimus Prime gets my 3rd spot. This figure grew on me a lot the longer I had it

Honorable mentions would be
    SOC Go-Lion(Voltron III), I got the re-release this year
    SOC Dairugger(Voltron I)
    TE-01 OP Leader, I haven't bought it but I want it
    TRANSFORMERS ENCORE - RETURN CONVOY, my all time favorite figure painted to be show accurate but technically not an MP or 3p

• Like Like x 4
  5. malware5

malware5 Well-Known Member

Music to my ears. I'll will be posting my faves shortly and I'm sure you can guess who will my number one on my list already!

:D 

• Like Like x 1
  6. Paladin

Paladin Have Zord, Will Travel

News Credits:
    Detroit- It's a shithole full of people who steal
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    had to take a bit to remember just who came out this year but I think Kadmos is probably my favorite purchase. Amazing design and a long-overlooked character.

7. Rewind

Rewind Data Stick

News Credits:
    NewAge Max
    I like the sculpt, colors and transformation more than any of the "mp" versions. More fun to pose, too. Perfect little Cosmos.

Hasbro Siege Jetfire
    Easily the nicest mainline figure to come out in years. Robust, fun, great sculpt and a better transformation than any of the third party versions.

MMC Fraudo
    Robust and toyetic, fun transformation, a genuine Kubalsky toy, perfect mustardy colors, smiling face. Best Swindle so far.

The best figure I got that wasn't from 2019 is MMC Calidus. I opted for the SXS Rodimus back when these came out and skipped Calidus. Now that I have both I am blown away by how much better Calidus is. I still think Hot Flame *looks* the part a little better (skinnier, better face) but Calidus has a much better build, much better transformation and much better alt mode. That said, TWO MTMTE Rodders toys? We don't deserve these riches.

• Like Like x 4
  8. timcrook

timcrook Well-Known Member

I think people that don't own a specific figure can still vote based on looks but should mention thats what their vote is based on.

9. fearthehoss75

fearthehoss75 Well-Known Member

MP BW megatron
    MS-01 premium prime
    MP BW Black arachnia

10. Goregrinder

Goregrinder Well-Known Member

Fanstoys Roadking
    Motormaster is a personal favourite of mine, and I never imagined he would get a masterpiece style figure at all, never mind one this good. He looks incredible, his transformation is a miracle, his articulation is great, i dunno what I can say that anyone else hasn't already said. I'd like it if I could partsform the backpack if I wanted, but that is a very minor complaint.

Gigapower Superator (metallic version)

He's big, he's beautiful, he's grimlock. Everything I imagined the perfect grimlock toy to be as a child, brought to life. Amazing looking in both modes, very poseable, very high build quality, super nice paint apps. he's heavy, he's huge, he's wonderful.

Fans Hobby Double Evil

The first third party, mp-style TF purchase I ever made, and who led me down a dark path to having no money and a lot of toys. Super impressive transformation, like Road King he grows rather than shrinks, but unlike roadking the transformation is never uncomfortable. He still feels like a toy and I'm never worried about scratching him up or flaking paint off or whatever. He's a nice hybrid of the IDW design and the G1 design, he retains the powermaster gimmick of the original toy. He's super well articulated for a giant guy, and surprisingly well balanced. I heard a lot of stuff about him falling over, I don't know if mine is a later run or something but he stands up better on even soft surfaces than a lot of smaller, lighter toys.

[​IMG]

and because I had to pose road king weirdly to get him to stand on the bed, here he is in the pose he stands in on my desk:
    [​IMG]

Honorable Mentions:

MMC Fraudo & Impetus
    Fun, cute, great looking combaticons. Very close to the top spots.

FT Spoiler

Didn't want to burn two of my top spots on fanstoys stunticons, but by rights this guy should be up there. Another fantastic transformation, fantastic robot mode, poses even better than road king.

FT Sovereign M

Galvatron is one of my top guys, and Sovereign is an incredible representation of him. Only brought down by some janky looking elbow joints, and a lackluster alt mode. But it's not like I'm gonna display galvatron in cannon mode, so I am very happy with him. Would like a smiling face for him though, like MP-36 has

TE-01E SG Prime

A top notch prime in gorgeous colours. Better articulated than people give it credit for, and very picturesque.

DX9 Gewalt
    Robbed of a top spot for the technicality of 'not being released this year'. To me he's an almost ideal blitzwing. Very clean bot mode, beautiful colours, great jet mode, ok tank mode (if there was an extra fold-down panel that covered more of the front where the head is stored I would be 100% happy with the thank), very poseable, great fun to play with, and comes with an awesome transformation-aiding tool that I use all the time.

• Like Like x 5
  11. Scyla

Scyla Well-Known Member

1. Kuro Kara Kuri Star Saber
    2. FT Maverick
    3. MMC Zinnia

• Like Like x 1
  12. Zherneboh

Zherneboh BRAVE BOMBER

Really nice writeups and choices! Just wanted to comment that it was very easy to remove the backpack on Roadking and it doesn't look too bad in my opinion. No worse than the back of DX9 Capone's head (figure looks great too! Just saying!). Still works to unfold it and put it all back together for lorry mode afterwards.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Mick h

Mick h Fiery red head tfer

1 Iron factory megatron
    2 siege optimus prime
    3 te 01 nemesis prime (these in no order)

Honorable mentions: mastermade overlord, iron factory wheeljack, iron factory hound, iron factory helex.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Zawicki

Zawicki Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This thread has convinced me to get Siege Jetfire

• Like Like x 1
  15. peddlerofwine

peddlerofwine Starscream's Robot Gun

In no particular order:

Fanstoys Motormaster
    Ocular Max Springer
    Ocular Max Swindle

Honorable mentions:
    New Age Insecticons
    MP-44
    Ocular Max Vortex

• Like Like x 3
  16. Goregrinder

Goregrinder Well-Known Member

i'm still kind of skittish about popping out pins but that does sound interesting

• Like Like x 1
  17. bri888

bri888 bte888

Ebay:
    jx winged dragon

gigapower superator

mp 44 optimus prime

mp43 megatron

• Like Like x 3
  18. LazyAza

LazyAza Ehhhhh

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    1. MP Beast Wars Megatron
    2. FansToys Roadking
    3. MMC Saltus

megsroadsalt.jpg

4. Inventa. 5. Fraudo 6. Battle Buffalo. 7. Alkaid. 8. Impetus. 9. Ultio. 10. Ni.

• Like Like x 6
  19. Mr H

Mr H Old bot from Iacon...

Ebay:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 8
  20. Bumblemus Prime

Bumblemus Prime Cracked in the head

If you collect strictly IDW, the year was a bit of a bust on the CHUGsterpiece end. Nothing really from MMC except Nickel & The Pet & Guzzle.

But I got into Iron Factory this year, so:

1. Tyrant!!!! How is this guy not on here more? Best IF figure, best G1 and IDW Megs all at once!
    2. IF Tarn, Dubba Dub or whatever his 3P name is. Unlike MMC, he had a fun transformation and an accurate face.
    3. Siege was fun but I didn't get a ton of them, so Siege Springer was better than expected.

• Like Like x 6