This Week in History - 1983

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Sol Fury, Nov 25, 2013.

1. zijital

zijital Member

This kind of reminds me of a little movie history...

Citizen Kane is considered to be one of the best movies of all time. It was Orson Welles's first film (fun fact: Welles's last film was voicing Unicron). And while Welles had a full creative control & a blank check to do any movie he wanted, Citizen Kane wasn't the movie he wanted to do.

Welles wanted to do Heart of Darkness (the book Apocalypse Now was based on), but he wanted to shoot it in the first person & the technology of the day made it too expensive (his blank check had a limit). After he failed to get the funding needed for Heart of Darkness & the time on his contract running out, Welles made Citizen Kane almost by default.

Would Citizen Kane be the movie it is today if Welles had more time? Would Heart of Darkness be even more groundbreaking than Citizen Kane? Or would Heart of Darkness have been an absolute failure and we're better off with Citizen Kane?

I really wonder if Bob, or anyone else knew that Transformers would be as big as it is today 30 years ago. And if they did know, would they have spent more time on it? Had more people working on it? And if there were more people & more time, would it be better or worse?

2. Technostorm98

Technostorm98 Plastic Collector

That was a beautiful way of putting things! Thank you Bob for breathing life into the characters that shaped a good portion of my childhood, and ate still a major part of my life to this day. And thank you SolFury, for writing that post the way you did. It made me sit and think of all of the good times I had with my toys, playing with them while watching tv episodes or reading the comics.

TRANSFORMERS FOREVER!!!!!

3. vrba79

vrba79 Well-Known Member

Great things come from Bobs!

4. Spidertron

Spidertron Terrorcon

For he's a jolly good fellow, for he's a jolly good fellow! Etc thanks for everything Bob!

5. bithomas

bithomas Seeker of Seekers

I remember this. On the old alt.toys.transformers newsgroup, people just piled on Bob and worshipped Simon Furman, and I never understood the hate. I mean, I thought the world of Furman too, and even if I may have agreed that Furman's stories were slightly better quality overall, Bob's stories were pretty good too and were certainly far better than would be expected from a toy-based comic (G.I. Joe being another exception for a toy-based comic). Having learned since then of the other contributions Bob made to Transformers, such as the events described here, it is probably safe to say that the Transformers brand would not have enjoyed the same level of success, and probably none of us would be here today on this site to discuss this anniversary or any other Transformers-related news.

So yes, many, many, many thanks to Bob for all he contributed to Transformers!

6. Brum Bot

Brum Bot You’re an idiot Starscream

News Credits:
    Arise, Bobimus Prime

Thank you Bob

7. alfred p. sloan

alfred p. sloan Well-Known Member

Long live The Transformers.

8. hound88

hound88 Well-Known Member

Bob Budiansky is famous for his phrases in the comics such as "Have a mechanical failure Skywarp, courtesy of my ionic blaster!".

Simon Furman on the other hand is famous for lines such as "What are you playing at Grimlock?"(anger) and "Can I watch my comrades die bravely in battle while I walk away like a coward? Can I do less?" (self doubt - facing up to the challenge)

9. lightdestroyed

lightdestroyed Stronger than all!

Congrats for creating such a huge part of my childhood! You're the man, Bob!

10. trebleshot

trebleshot www.Toyark.com Veteran

News Credits:
    Thanks, Bob. Salud!

*drinks a shot*

11. T-Logicon

T-Logicon assembles the drones

Big ups to Bob!

12. transfanatic

transfanatic Saving the best for last.

Thanks for taking on the challenge back then, Bob.

13. omegagoalie

omegagoalie Cybertronian Puckstopper

Ebay:
    I would have loved to been there that week when he was creating all those bios. What an imagination on this guy! Thanks Bob, thanks for everything.