This makes no sense.

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Purple Heart, Jun 11, 2014.

1. Purple Heart

Purple Heart Pure Passion

News Credits:
    So we've been told NUMEROUS times that Botcon exclusives are choosen from Molds that are not currently in use or have plans for by Takara and Hasbro.

The PRID Ratchet Mold is being used for Cannonball this Botcon,
    And now we know First Aid is also being used from thay mold as what is most likely a store giftset/Exclusive.

Either there has been an exception, Or what they said was a lie.

Correct if I'm wrong or forgetting something.

2. Sioce

Sioce Radicon in training

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'd guess that an exception was made.
    Or maybe since the tooling was in use for the botcon stuff, the exclusive was made possible?
    Or vice versa?

3. Purple Heart

News Credits:
    Well i suppose, But even this exclusive will still be made in vast quantities.

Well, Botcon is next week... But this Giftset has been planned for months... So I don't know but it had to be an interesting conference.

4. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I think the real question should be 'what does it matter?'

5. Edgewise

Edgewise Fanner

News Credits:

I think there have been similar instances before and that the explanation is that while molds may show up around the same time for people to purchase, that doesn't necessarily exactly correlate as to when they were produced in the factory.

The "not having plans for" doesn't apply to Cannonball/Ratchet because I believe that's about having plans for a transformer character. If Hasbro was making a new Cannonball from a new mold or some other mold, that's what might've stopped a Botcon Cannonball.

Also, an exception, or a lie, or (as everything does...) sometimes things change.

6. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Veteran

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    From my understanding, Hasbro and BotCon have a lot of back and forth to make sure the BotCon exclusives are not coming close to what Hasbro has planned. Hasbro basically reviews what BotCon comes up with and either shoots it down or gives it the green light.

I basically got the vibe that if BotCon asks for a certain mold and Hasbro says "sure," that's basically all there is to it. I don't think the rule holds true anymore that molds Hasbro is currently using are off limits to BotCon. As long as the concept doesn't step on Hasbro's toes, it can be approved.

7. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch

News Credits:
    It's the character and/or mold that Hasbro approves. If Botcon said "Hey we want to make a First Aid using PRID Ratchet," Hasbro wouldn't approve it, but in the case of Cannonball using the PRID Ratchet mold is fine, because Hasbro doesn't care about the character Cannonball.

In regards to the mold approval, it's more Hasbro making sure the molds exists and are usable.

8. Purple Heart

News Credits:

Then why would you even bother telling us that Botcon?

Eh, Regardless we have 2 new figures to get.. Thats beter then one.

9. Hollywood Hoist

Hollywood Hoist Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Man some people just want to "catch" Funpub. There is a lot of things that go on behind the scenes to make these exclusives happen. It seems like some want FunPub to be a 100% transparent business so we can see every arrangement being made.

If you like the figure then get the figure, if you don't then don't buy it. It doesn't matter what molds they can and can not use at any given time. People will always come up with better ideas then the figures they made, but that is because the skies the limit with their ideas, where as Funpub have limitations.

All Funpub is trying to do is make figures/characters that the greatest number of fans will want and trying to make that prediction is very difficult.

It's always fun to create your dream set of Botcon figures, but don't compare that dream set against what they release.

10. Catatronic

Catatronic Banned

In a world with Titan Heroes you're talking about making sense?

Man I'm still trying to make sense out of that giant Bumblebee that looks like it's made out of wax. I thought it was a birthday candle at first.

11. Boy Blunder

Boy Blunder Terrorcon King

That was stated a number of years ago, IIRC, and business decisions/internal dynamics shift constantly in any business. FunPub and Hasbro are no exception.

Personally, I don't care - just give me plenty of repaints to pad out my collection with, and I'll be happy.

12. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    I always figured the whole "molds there are no plans for" thing was a misconception/misattribution, and what was really meant was certain decos of certain molds would be ones Hasbro (and to a lesser extent, Takara) had no intention to release at that time.

Like, maybe we'll get some PRiD repaints, but Cannonball was probably never on the planning list. Hell, I think the Prime line itself and its molds might be more or less done in terms of official HasTak releases.

13. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    With good planning they can run off a batch of one sort immediately followed by another - in the past I think the problem was schedules too they only had a tiny window to reset before another job so had to make the Botcon stuff in a hurry.

If orders or production is down or they are between runs after they made the Movie stuff then they might have had the time the schedule the runs back to back.

On reflection considering they make Micron for the Botcon - it seemed like a best idea to use the Japanese mould not the American RID one. Is Cannoball RID or Beast Hunters - I forget - I thought he was RID but I never double checked - actually it would be a shame if he's the normal one the spikey one might have made more sense perhaps.

14. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

News Credits:
    I remember when Generations Thundercracker came out. All the Botcon set owners were saying that they wouldn't do a Botcon exclusive at retail. They also said that since both the name AND the mold were being used in the Botcon set that year that there would be no way Hasbro would release Thundercracker at retail.

Yeah, I stopped listening to the "experts" on this site a long time ago. Nowadays I even doubt the "Destroyed molds" list.

15. GizmoTron

GizmoTron Roobaticon Commander

Ebay:
    I was always under the impression that as long as Hasbro can still produce the mold it is available to FunPub. It's deco, names, and other character traits that are subject to approval by Hasbro and wouldn't be allowed if Hasbro already has plans for another release.