"This is my planet!!"

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by rook, Feb 11, 2012.

1. rook

rook Well-Known Member

So Megatron comes out of nowhere and blasts Sentinel in the back, then knocks his helmet off and guts him.

All for the sake of possession over Earth not Cybertron?

Did blondie really get to him enough to fudge with whatever was left of his head?

2. Hellscream15

Hellscream15 Hi... Bl

DERP!
    What do you think?

3. Bluebe6

Bluebe6 Banned

News Credits:
    No -_-
    Carly made Megatron realize that Sentinel was pretty much gonna take over the Decepticons.
    "This is my planet." He's most likely referring to soon to be human labor force and Cybertron.
    Also remember, "All I wanted, was to be back in charge."

4. ShOcKwAvE1213

ShOcKwAvE1213 THE DARK KNIGHT RISES

Ya he should've squashed carly

5. kaiserlisk

kaiserlisk Squid Kid

News Credits:
    I think as a psychotic, tyrannical warlord, this was just representative of the greedy expansionist facet of your typical bad guy. I mean, his planet teleporting plan is already looking to be successful; why not also claim this "weak" fleshling planet as his own while he's at it?

In my opinion, this should've served as a red flag to all those who say Optimus was wrong to kill Megatron. Sure, Megatron "saved" Optimus, but he did so while liteally ripping Sentinel a new one and screaming that this planet was his. Would you trust that?

6. Hazekiah

Hazekiah Banned

News Credits:
    Well, not exactly.

More like he just flushed his homeworld down the toilet by accident and was left with no other option but squabbling over the consolation prize scraps, lol.

But, yeah, the way it was set up and ESPECIALLY the way it was handled in the novelization, the truce-ending was just absolutely ******ed, for sure.

7. Rayzilla Prime

Rayzilla Prime I RIP ALL MY RAZE!

Megatron wants not just Cybertron, but Earth as well; Megatron wants two. Jazz can vouch for that. :p 

8. Wars

Wars I ate the WHOLE plate

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, I'd say it's to do with greed, and Megatron essentially wanting to make his way to the top of the chain of command, and "be back in charge". Sentinel was the only thing standing in his way of doing that, so he went for Sentinel before Optimus.

Carly just gave him a realisation of where he was in terms of command.

:lol 

9. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    So many people think Carly was deliberately manipulating Megatron into attacking Sentinel. I see it rather differently: she was taunting him with a truth, a statement about something that happened right in front of him.

Notice she did the same thing with Dylan the night of the Chicago attack: "I guess they didn't tell you about this part, did they?" She made him see he'd sold out his race to a bunch, that his life was forfeit. The difference is that Dylan accepted it, being too cowardly to care what happened as long as he was safe; Megatron, on the other hand, refused to accept being told off ("You dare lecture me, slave?"), but he was smart enough to see she had a point, which led into the most awesome fight IMO DOTM had.

She'd still have ended up dead. He is Megatron after all.

10. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    ^Pretty much what QRLformer said.

*BA-DUM-CHH!*

But seriously, yes, Megatron wants to conquer all.

11. SuperJazz

SuperJazz Dictator of my Dimension

Yeah I think because of the fact that Cybertron is dead and they really don't have anywhere else go/conquer that Megatron claimed Earth for the Decepticons. And the fact that Carly put into his mind that Sentinel was going to rule and not him really did not sit well with him I imagine. And his arrogant pride would not anyone rule Earth except him so he tried to get rid of the problem, but he just made it a worse for himself and *pop* his head came off.

:lol 

12. Stockade187

Stockade187 Decepticon Junkie

Carly made Megatron realize that the autobot traitor was up staging him & we all know how Megatron is. I loved how he banked that corner & whooped sentinel's ass. Reminded me a little of TF1 when he was whoopin Optimus until Sam pit the cube in his chest. The real question is what if Optimus spared Sentinel's life? No cybertron or cons would he realize what he did was wrong & rejoin the bots? Or would he just go solo.

13. Hazekiah

Hazekiah Banned

News Credits:
    I think you're mistaken, however, if you're truly suggesting Carly in no way meant for Megatron to go lay a beatdown on Sentinel...that's EXACTLY what she was doing.

She had no reason whatsoever to waltz up to walking death incarnate and be a bitch just for the hell of it, especially after Sam had just told her to stay there and keep safe.

She knew Sam had the Control Pillar covered but that Sentinel was still crazy, out there somewhere, and a continuing threat, so she put her insider's knowledge of the developing feud between Sentinel and Megatron to good use by deliberately goading him into taking care of the threat of Sentinel FOR them.

Suggesting otherwise is just silly; you can practically SEE the gears turning in her head while she's watching them bicker on the rooftop across the river with the telescope in Dylan's penthouse.

Plus, it's a crucial peak of her character arc. She wanted to avoid the frontlines at all costs and thought the Autobots and NEST could handle it on their own to start with, remember? But by the end of the film she realized she had something to contribute and that she HAD to take matters into her own hands to help save the world, in complete contrast to her whining about Sam doing the exact same thing earlier.

There's just NO other way to view that scene properly, she was DEFINITELY deliberately manipulating Sentinel into attacking Megatron, and she did so by overcoming her own fears stemming from the loss of her brother in combat and heroically stepping up to deal with the matter herself, no matter the risk.

14. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    Hazekiah, I concede what you say: it was definitely a deliberate attempt to goad Megatron into attacking Sentinel, in keeping with the penthouse scene and her character arc of gaining courage and taking on a Transformer.

It is still irksome (to myself and others) that Megatron would be swayed by the words of a human slave. But I look at it this way: she tricked him by appealing to his pride and vanity, and not through telling lies or whatever. Manipulation IMO is something akin to trickery and deceit, something Starscream would do; provoking and goading are somewhat different (sort of "two branches of the same tree"), and that way Carly got Megatron to do what she wanted: turn on Sentinel Prime for deposing him, making the tide of battle change unexpectedly. She tricked him, but by forcing him to confront a truth he did not like, and would rectify.

And it could have gone badly too: Megatron might have taken down both Primes. So it was a heck of a gamble, but one which fortunately paid off for her because Megatron saw she was right, and because Optimus had finally had enough.

LOL one shouldn't really assess a scene like this. Oh well :p 

15. Hazekiah

Hazekiah Banned

News Credits:
    Fair enough, but I think this movie shows that, to some degree, at least, he'd begun to more fully appreciate the inherent value of his "insect operatives," lol.

Even in the first film he offered to let Sam live, albeit as a "pet," if Sam had simply surrendered the AllSpark. So he already had some kind of awareness of the potential usefulness of humans towards their efforts even beyond the retconned slave labor he'd already wanted them for previously and which Carly had simply picked up on and exploited. That vulnerability is the weakness they opened themselves up to by working with human collaborators like Dylan in the first place, she just had the guts and integrity to make the gambit Dylan was to weak-kneed and/or unethical to take upon himself when the opportunity presented itself.

And, nah, I definitely think all this stuff is worth looking into.

There's no doubt that the storytelling of the movies can be a bit rushed and frenetic and maybe cram a bit TOO much information and dialogue and exposition and action all up on-screen at the same time, while glossing over or merely suggesting pretty important stuff that should generally be made more readily apparent but which is kind of easily lost in shifting the focus towards more entertaining aspects of the storyline.

It's a give and take that's obviously paid off in HUGE ways for these movies, but it still leaves lots of people scratching their heads over certain things. The kind of analysis and assessments along the lines of threads and posts like these is actually almost CRUCIAL to the developing appreciation of what's really going on in big chunks of the movies, imho.

:) 

16. Stockade187

Stockade187 Decepticon Junkie

You could even say a fight between sentinel & Megatron would've happened anyway, especially after the roof scene.