This game's story is quite meh.

Discussion in 'Transformers Video Game Discussion' started by Tiller, Aug 8, 2010.

1. sunbreaker

sunbreaker Well-Known Member

what happened to the 7 chapters for each faction that was first mentioned?

They should've had more appearances from the other characters, even if just in the background like:

Ironhide and Warparth fighting a losing battle and making a retreat.

Seekers chasing Jetfire.

Zeta Prime fighting off Megatron so Bumblebee can get away, linking the chapters.

Dark energon should have powered up Megatron's Morning Star instead of it being like Force lightning. The matrix could power up Optimus' axe. Then have an epic battle that saves Cybertron, melee cutscene, and Megatron gets away as usual after being beaten.

put the epic fight after typticon.

2. Scythe

Scythe Future Foundation

News Credits:
    But, the story had pretty good action-y parts, some of the battles were pretty rad and it had alot of great elements that made it an awesome Transformer game. What more do people want? On another forum, I saw people actually complaining that the story was too awesome, really. Others complained the storyline focused more on Autobots and not enough on Decepticons, I've seen this also reversed. I need to get re-introduced to the internet, haha.

3. Thundercrackah

Thundercrackah Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yep :lol 

I was thinking that before the game was even released, you could keep everything the same except for the designs of the robots and the game would have been torn to shreds.

4. SoljaRTT

SoljaRTT Well-Known Member

I mean after you get that first hit of "OMG this game is an actually competent game" the luster I think falls off. Is it a "meh" game, I don't think so, but it's not a great game either. The single player does drag on so I can see how people would dislike it, but overall it is a good rental.

5. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I totally agree on the Starscream/Optimus bit, but I don’t know if I can say the story was ‘meh,’ as those sorts of games are the ones I never touch again. I mean EVER. I continue to play this game—not just the multiplayer side—again and again.

This game captures one moment in the past, and the events shown are still unfolding. Give some time. Though I’m aware there are a lot that feel it doesn’t synch up, I still feel it does. Where High Moon Studios goes from here will be the make or break for me.

Why Starscream is still around is something I suspect will be explained in the next game, as this one explained why he was chosen, though very weakly. Flashbacks to Optimus’ past might make his selection better, but it may be too late for that. …though it is better than Alpha Trion making him into the leader for reason unknown, no?

Definitely the highlight of the game, and the reason why I keep playing it.

EDIT:
    While I wouldn’t have minded longer chapters or more eye candy, having the Matrix power up Optimus would have been a mistake, in my opinion. The Autobots needed to lose and they did so by winning—Cybertron belongs to the Decepticons until Unicron’s defeat—making Optimus all-powerful would’ve had us asking a bunch of “why didn’t he” questions.

I hope this happens. Story DLC is what I want more than anything right now. Multiplayers fun and all, but I had the most fun playing the campaign side of things. Side stories or whatever you call them would do this game some serious good. Especially, if they gave gamers a chance to play characters that were given one mission more screen time or just simply let all character take part as they do in the multiplayer realm.

6. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Meaning you don't. A LOT of people do, however. Otherwise games like Mass Effect 1 & 2 wouldn't be held in anything like the extremely high regard they are.

7. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've been playing games with Story held in high regards since Phantasy Star 4. Played 24 Hours straight because I needed to see the ending.

That said.. for Transformers, I found it pretty enjoyable. And story also incorporates character interaction, not just overall plotline, and that was done well, IMO.

8. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I was actually not aware people play games for the story.

I mean, they're games. The story is nice, like I love the Half-life series, but I always thought the main draw of video games were, well, the gameplay.

For example, I would not play a shitty game because I liked the story. Even if I loved the story, I'd just go on Youtube and watch the cut scenes if I was that into it.

9. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:

Well, you're right too. I mean you play a game because you want to play a game, interact with a story. The better the story you interact with, the more likely you care enough about experiencing more into that universe in potential sequels.

RPGs (the turnbased ones) don't have much "gameplay" so to speak, so you invest a lot into the story.

Shadows of Colossus would be souless without its story.

10. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Like what I'm saying is, when I'm browsing games I've never seen or heard of before, I don't pick one because I think "this looks to have a good story." That's what movies are for. I pick up a game because it looks fun to play. the story is there to act as a drive for the gameplay. The story tells you where you're going, what you're doing and why. Like I said, I love the Half-life games, mostly because of it's story, but I didn't by Half-life for that, I thought it looked like a fun FPS and I heard good things about it's gameplay.

I don't understand the point of buying a game JUST for the story.

11. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    Don't really see how the story was lacking. I mean yeah, it was fast-paced like "BOOM, this happens, then we go here and then do this and BOOM, this guy shows up....", but it was easy enough to follow and IMO very entertaining.

It had some really interesting concepts that I love, such as Starscream being inducted into the Decepticons due to his knowledge of Dark Energon, Cybertron needing to be evacuated due to "Primus" having to shut the entire planet dow to rejuvinate itself, thus meaning no power at all, Trypticon turning into an orbital space cannon, etc.

12. HIM666fan

HIM666fan DINOBOT

News Credits:
    i honestly liked the story it kept me guessing, made me laugh and most importantly made me want to finish both campaigns. Yes it was a short story but it did its job as a way to introduce everyone to the big players.

Im sure if there is a sequel we will see a more indepth story, more playable characters and more of the same fun.

Im pretty sure highmoon made the game well singleplayer like this to test the waters and see if us fans and other gamers would buy into a story like this and for the most part i think we did!

13. graymer

graymer Well-Known Member

WfC is meant to be a first person shooter. For TF junkies, it's a bit more than that, but you shouldn't look too much into it.

I think this was, hands down, the best TF game to date. Hopefully the future is bright.

14. Kungfu Dinobot

Kungfu Dinobot Well-Known Member

I wonder if anyone notice the transformations on the WFC formers are even more convoluted, especially with simpler designs?

15. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Don't you mean TPS or third person shooter—you can see your characters whole body, not just his/her hands. And that's not how HMS see their project or how they approached it. They wanted to make a really great game and put Transformers on top of that.

If they continue to follow this formula and continue to listen to the criticism (the good and bad) the future will indeed be great. Not many had high hopes for this game, and I think it's safe to say this game surprised A LOT of people.

EDIT:
    I wish there wasn’t so much going on, as it takes too long. I don’t like the few seconds of no control. It isn’t much of a problem in story mode, but you it plays a big role in multiplayer mode. Those two or so seconds of immovability can mean life or death while in a firefight.

16. Deadend

Deadend Spark of Creation

News Credits:
    If a few campaigns were a little expanded it could have been better.

As for fitting to G1, since this is only the first in prequel setups, give it some time. Prime will probably continue off the novel anyway.

The one thing I actually got a kick from though, was Dark Energon itself when you consider the usage of the word dark like in cosmology for Dark matter, and dark energy. They are called dark not because of their nature, but because of their lack of knowledge prevalent about them, which fits quite well to this new energon too.

The G1 line-ups in game are really only hindered by the gestalt team usages, which are needed to help round out classes. On that same token though, like the Ironhide mini-series does, there's still the possibility of loop hole usage to put them back in place for the G1 toon. The book on the other hand, really goes indepth and would have some real line up problems to the original toon. Arcee and slipstream don't really count, as they are unlockables by beating the game, unlockables don't translate to in the story, as you know from any previous game that uses unlockables.

Now what I don't like is the feeling of the campaigns, if they were a bit more expanded with dialogue and cause, and less shrunken, it could have given us more story, and some more play value. Don't get me wrong I love this game, I just wish some parts were handled a bit more like Halo and Halo 2 were for expansiveness and story conveyance. The second campaign in the first game for example, yields a ton of story in a massive level design that lets you really explore and use vehicles well. Whereas in transformers, the level design doesn't really yield to much alt mode usage cept in forced areas, and mild jump spots.

17. Tampalicious

Tampalicious Tribe of Roadimus

dde

18. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Except it wasn't. It was a part of Primus.

And teh 'lore" you grew up with isn't being ignored, but taht time has passed. It's not the 80's and Transformers is progressing.

And I can't even fathom how you came to the conclusion that your "lore" is being ignored when this game is filled with nothing but homage and references to it, just used differently.

19. Tampalicious

eee

20. Tampalicious

edd