Third Party Year in Review 2019

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by CZ Hazard, Dec 27, 2019.

?

Who is 3P Toy of the Year 2019?

Poll closed Jan 7, 2020.
  1. Fans Toys Roadking

88 vote(s)
    30.0%
  2. Transform Element OP Leader

97 vote(s)
    33.1%
  3. Fans Hobby Double Evil

23 vote(s)
    7.8%
  4. MMC Magna Inventa

8 vote(s)
    2.7%
  5. Zeta Toys Superitron

11 vote(s)
    3.8%
  6. Planet X Kadmos

10 vote(s)
    3.4%
  7. Planet X Ismenios

6 vote(s)
    2.0%
  8. MMC Foxwire and Ni

1 vote(s)
    0.3%
  9. Iron Factory Spirits of the DEC

29 vote(s)
    9.9%
  10. New Age Agamemnon

20 vote(s)
    6.8%
  1. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard Sons of Unicron PTT

News Credits:
    [TOY OF THE YEAR RESULTS TO FOLLOW, PLEASE VOTE]

Blimey, 8 years of 3rd Party Year in Reviews. If you want to see previous years results, we have a brief summary below.

2012 was the year of Hercules Vs Giant.
    2013 was the year Fans Toys hit the scene with fan favourite MMC Hexatron taking second place to the game-changing Quakewave.
    2014 was the year where MMC finally took the coveted top spot with Toy of the Year in Feral Rex and Company of the Year, narrowly beating out Scoria for Toy of the Year. Unique Toys took most improved, and Warbotron took newcomer of the year.
    2015 was a busy year, with MMC narrowly missing out on company of the year to Fans Toys by just two votes. With MMC Spartan, UT Ordin and XTB Apollyon winning in their respective categories.
    2016 was the year that Maketoys finally got the top spot beating out Fans Toys with their wide variety of styles, but with Fans Toys Stomp winning overall toy of the year.
    2017 was a return to form for Fans Toys, winning company of the year, Citybot of the year with Omega, MP style and 3P toy of the year with Phoenix. MMC did well overall with Kultur winning CHUG, Iron Factory stormed the Legend style, Fans Hobby took best newcomer, and DX9 won most improved
    2018 was very fractious, and MP won out with Fans Toys taking Toy of the Year with Quietus, but XTB were right on their heels with the most MP nominations and Most Improved Company, enough to also score them Company of the Year. So, so many Legends nominations!

The voting for overall 3P Toy of 2019 closes on 7th January based on the ten most nominated toys, click here to check the nominations for this year, and below we'll look at the top nominations for each category. These nominations determine the finals for the poll above, and directly decide Company of the Year results.

What will be the most popular category? Is it still all about MP or have people moved on to Legends? Is CHUG still relevant? Lets find out together.

(But first; Disclaimer: Thank you to everyone who voted in all of the polls. TFW is nothing without it's members, and your voices on the 3P thread do get seen and heard by the majority of 3P companies. These are your choices and are presented here based on your nominations. Please do not attack the choices as being "wrong", biased, or in any way of my choosing, they are all correct as they are subjective. Having said that, there are thousands of board members and barely any people got involved and a lot of people outright ignored formatting and many categories. Your vote counts, but only if you take part!)

Third Party Toy of the Year results

3P MP style Category

1) Fans Toys Roadking (Motormaster)

s-l640.jpg

C82E9465-4857-4E82-8F7B-BC64B2DE3042.jpeg

2) Transform Element OP Leader (G1 Prime and MP44 challenger)

3) Fans Hobby Double Evil (Overlord)

MP is still king it seems, and Roadking is king of MP this year. The clue is in his name. Looking at the nominations, it seems next year will be a battle of completed Menasors, and I imagine FT Superion will do very well.

Early on it looked like Transform Element was going to win this with a very impressive figure which goes out of its way to directly oppose Takara-Tomny's biggest and most expensive MP release too date. It seems many people thought MP44 that was a high price-tag too far, and some people outright preferred this design. Curious that 3rd Party helped to normalise high-end Transformers and was essentially free market research to show the market could support more than one expensive release per year, and now that same market is offering cheaper alternatives.

Fans Hobby Double Evil was both 3rd most voted MP style, and 3rd most popular Giant Toy, combining the votes wouldn't have been enough to steal second place from TE OP Leader however.

20190206_174247_20191228061239150_20191228061659394.jpg

27 different MP products nominated, an improvement on last year's lighter 21 products. Even some Movie style Masterpieces making the nominations more diverse than just G1!

3P CHUG style Category

1) Planet X Kadmos (Star Sabre)

57311612_2158317524235385_5587494483475300352_n.jpg

2) MMC Reformatted Foxwire and Ni (DJD Pet and Nickel)

3) Planet X Ismenios (Deathsaurus)

A huge year for Planet X, with first and third. Has MMC lost it's touch with Refomatted? I'm going to say no, as it seems an awful lot of people consider these great figures to go with their MTMTE / Lost Light collections, and I can see why! A lot of people mentioned that they consider these MP, or MP quality, and I would say an awful lot of the MMC and PX figures are easily MP quality, but they're still their own thing in my mind and deserve a category of their own for now.

18 toys nominated, and more votes than last year, showing a slight comeback for CHUG, and slight controversy with people not sure if Deathsaurus counted as he came out right at the end of last year, however he was largely ignored in 2018 and a lot of people nominated him this year.

Honorable mention for Make Toys Cross Dimension Buster Skywing / Stealthwing. Didn't break the top three, but nice to see something original and doing it's own thing getting a good chunk of nominations.

3P Giant Toy / Combiner Category

1) MMC Reformatted Magna Inventa (Sky Lynx)

s-l1600.jpg

2) Zeta Toys Superitron (Superion)

3) Fans Hobby Double Evil (Overlord)

Weird to see this list with no Omega Supreme, or other citybots involved.

The winner is clearly Magna Inventa, worth mentioning the first half of this figure made fourth place on this last year, and last years fourth place Zeta Toys Bruticus picked up a lot of votes despite not being eligible, but they picked up way more votes with their Superion. Is this the benefit of being first to market? Are these just (expensive) placeholders for Fans Toys or other combiners? Certainly a lot of people bought Roadking this year.

And there's Double Evil. Is he MP (yes), is he a giant toy (yes), is he a city bot (yeah, I guess), is he a combiner (world's most expensive Duocon technically)? He's all of these things and more and I let you the fans decide where he belonged with your nominations. Worth noting that he came third in MP, but if we combined votes together, he would have won this category, beating out Sky Lynx. Will this affect how he does overall? Could he win Toy of the Year? Who knows! He is certainly a very impressive figure and the nominations reflected this.

3P Legends / Small Scale Category

1) Iron Factory Spirits of the DEC Combiner, Dubhe and co. (DJD Tarn Combiner)

a38cee92gy1fy31ydeh95j20u0140kjm.jpg

2) New Age Seekers, Lucifer et al (Seekers / Starscream)

3) New Age Agamemnon (Megatron)

For me, this has been the most interesting category this year... and yes, I know I said that last year.

For four years now, Iron Factory continue to dominate the top spot, but New Age is right on their heels. Loads of nominations split the votes, and an awful lot of conflicting votes. For example; Iron Factory's Megatron offering Tyrant lost out on third place to New Age's Megatron by just one vote. Two different Legend Cosmos, two Wheeljacks, and a lot of figures who already have an equivalent character on the market. Impressive stuff for Legends.

Iron Factory take the top spot with a combiner for the second year in the row, and an obscure one at that. Non-canon, with comic only characters. Re-read that again and cast your mind back 10 years, did you ever think we would be this spoiled? The choice and variety on the market these days is incredible!

Once again there were loads of nominations in this category, but we had more nominations in every category this year after a relatively sparse 2018.

OVERALL 3P Figure of the Year: TE-01 OP Leader

Poll is now closed. After a fierce battle which very quickly made the poll a two horse race, Fans Toys Roadking has lost out to TE-01 OP Leader, which wins the award for 3rd Party Toy of the Year 2019.

20190522_133629_20190522170741435.jpg

3P Company of the Year Results

Most Improved Company of the Year

1) Mastermind Creations

a44342f8154683fe30827ec463134e9d.jpg

2) X-Transbots

A very close race which ended as a complete inversion of last year.

Not many votes this year, but looking at the amount of Ocular Max figures nominated in the MP category, it's easy to see this is where the votes came from, even if they didn't have enough nominations to crack the top three. Well done MMC, previous Company of the Year. Is Most Improved Company enough to make it a comeback to Company of the Year as it was for XTB last year? Keep reading.

Best Newcomer

1) Transform Element

20190522_133629_20190522170741435.jpg

There was only one real contender this year. Magic Square and New Age got a few votes for being fairly new to the scene, Blue Lobster and Banana Force got a single vote each despite being legitimate newcomers, but Transform Element dominated this category and rightfully so with their alternative take on MP Optimus Prime.

SOMETHINGABOUTSTANDINGSOMETHINGABOUTFALLING.jpg

Jiang Xing perhaps deserved more.

3P Company of the Year

It is once again Fan Toys. As it was in 2015 and 2017.

downloadfile.jpg

Last year's Toy of the Year Quietus was still in people's minds, as was their Galvatron reissue Sovereign. Jabber / Blurr did well, Maverick / Silverbolt has people excited for an MP Superion, but Roadking and Spoiler, the first two parts of their Menasor did very well.

F5832A4F-648D-4613-B00F-29CAB771A399.jpeg

I can see FT dominating again next year with their combiners.

Edit: 2nd place was Iron Factory. Okay, they didn't break ten votes which is why I didn't include them, but that's more than MMC, XTB, or any other contenders. Incredible stuff really, considering how dominant 3P is usually.

Summary

Well this is more like it! Last year was a tad disappointing with minimal releases across a lot of categories, but we've had lots of releases this year! More nominations in every category than last year so it looks like we've had a healthy amount of releases.

Planet X and MMC are the only companies to have two products go to the voting stage this year so that deserves a nod, but could count against them. If two Fans Toys products went up it might eat into their vote, although looking at the popularity of Road King this year it probably would not make any difference.

The biggest shocker though is how few people voted for Company of the Year, and how many people skipped entire scales with no nominations. There are hundreds of us active in this thread and very few people voted. I think people forget what is released every year, maybe there are too many categories so I'll look at streamlining the process next year. Your vote counts though, get involved!

2020 Predictions

images (1).jpeg

MP still dominates and this looks to continue into 2020, and the market is ripe for MP style combiners, but will Zeta stay in people's collections or will they be replaced by FT or Ocular Max versions? I expect to see more diversity with Movie toys, Beast Wars and stuff like Armada getting representation. Heck, even Japanese and Euro exclusives are getting releases from Fans Hobby next year!

Siege has dominated sales this year but Hasbro are switching to Earthrise, will we ever see 3P companies fill in the gaps and make a return to CHUG?

Will Iron Factory manage to get another small set of combiners to market in time for next years polls? Will Magic Square come up with a better naming system than Light of Justice and Light of Freedom for the same character in different scales? Come back next year and take part!

Photo credit to Napalm, Destructimus Prime and Google. Many thanks. More photos still needed and will be credited.

That's all!

Thanks for taking part in nominations, voting, buying and supporting 3P, and for reading this every year.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
    • Like Like x 19
  2. CZ Hazard

News Credits:
    PHOTOS NEEDED!

If you have photos of any of the winners of each category, a group shot of many recent Fans Toys releases, a group shot of some MMC releases, and a great photo of TE OP leader doing his thing, and you're happy for me to use them in the write-up, please reply to this and include the images. Many thanks.

3. CZ Hazard

News Credits:
    Here are this years tallys for anyone that is interested. Glad that's over with.

20191227_175332.jpg

2019 Predictions... how did I do? (WiP)

Where were Fans Hobby this year? Last years best newcomer did well with Power Baser, but that's it. How will their Overlord do in 2019? - Looks to have done very well!

Where was the much anticipated Iron Factory DJD combiner? - Finally here, and did amazingly.

Where was KFC? Only one cassette release, and no Buster / Hydra? I think they would have done very well. - Still no KFC? Are they dead? If so, shame, I really wanted their Dreadwind / Darkwing

DX9 and Badcube barely mentioned in the whole nominations stage? Where you guys at? - Still no Badcube, I voted for DX9 Dinobot recolours but no-one else did. Their Capone / Motormaster picked up a handful of votes, but going up against FT directly? Yeesh. Good luck.

Will MMC's Reformatted IDW subline be able to stay popular without Lost Light being published, will that section of the IDW fanbase still support this line? - Seemingly just as popular with obscure favourites Nickel and Pet doing well, and Iron Factory Tarn combiner showing that these characters have sticking power. I feel MMC should have finished their DJD, but with the two big boys still to come and at high price points, but they seem to have competition from Planet X now! MMC should do alright in 2020, especially with the renewed interest in their Ocular Max line.

I think all of the evidence points towards the Legends scene doing incredibly well in 2019 - looks that way

I also see the KO scene doing incredibly well with the increased price point from Takara-Tomy and the quality of OS KOs we've had this year - seems that way but I don't really follow the KO scene. didn't see a KO poll this year either? Was it a good year for KOs, you tell me?!

Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
    • Like Like x 7
  4. theestampede

theestampede Wandering Artist

News Credits:
    Thanks for the work you do every year man! I always love reading it.

Voted for the IF DJD combiner. It’s far and away the most impressive thing to come out of this year imo. Nearly perfect individual bots with a bonus combined mode which turned out to be the best combiner I’ve handled. Sublime release

• Like Like x 1
  5. BIOMEC

BIOMEC Terrorcon, aka "Ratchetman"

Thank you @CZ Hazard for your hard work!

I am quite sure the next year the figure of the year will belong to the bayformers! Too bad that Dragoon didn't make it for this year...

• Like Like x 1
  6. Curium

Curium Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'll read the posts next, but just looking at the voting options did Zeta Superitron actually come out already? I thought it was still on preorder.

• Like Like x 1
  7. CZ Hazard

News Credits:
    Pretty even split of votes for Kronos and for Superitron. I looked online and these names both seemed to be used interchangeably. I'm not very familiar with Zeta, but it looks like some reviewers have had the complete figure in hand since Feb 2019, but BBTS seem to have it as a pre-order for Jan 2020. Could that be a reissue or a set? Have they been released individually already? I just followed the nominations.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Curium

Curium Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm interested to watch the others, but the Iron Factory finishing a combiner for next year I feel safe answering already as a no.

With combining the MP and Giant figure votes for Double Evil did you count how many voted for him in one category or the other vs voting for him in both?

Kronos was the original name for Superion from the individual releases which has been out all year. Superitron is a repaint, I didn't pay attention to whether it was more toon accurate or just metallic paint that I believe hasn't come out yet. It is similar to their Bruticus Armageddon from the original release and the more toon Bruticon box set that came out later.

• Like Like x 1
  9. CZ Hazard

News Credits:
    On the rare occasion people voted for him in both categories I only included the points on one category, whichever one scored highest. Usually when stuff goes into more than one category (say Inventa) it's just a vote or two here and there and I carry it to the correct category, Double Evil was very split, and I wasn't confident that it was my place to say "no, he's more MP than Citybot or Giant toy" or vice versa. It's interesting to see the split.

There's always a bit of research and googling of names as some people say MMC Swindle and others write Ocular Max Fraudo. There is no right or wrong.

Nothing confused me more this year than Magic Square's two Optimus Primes in different categories though, that's for sure.

• Like Like x 1
  10. edgecrusher

edgecrusher Pepperidge Farm remembers TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    FT and XTB both had their mis-steps this year but overall are still the top two 3P companies putting out G1 MPs, so they deserve some credit for that.

If MMC gets the four Ocular Max Remix Autobot cassettes out in 2020, I'll be voting for them for Company of the Year. Their Assaultus CHUG-inspired MP combiner team just doesn't quite cut it.

Interesting how MakeToys has fallen since 2016. If only they'd kept up, we'd have all the Wave 1 headmasters save FT's Chomp (Skullcruncher) out by now. And FT might have prioritized Chomp higher.

That's okay, I'm fairly sure FT can do the Autobot headmasters better eventually, with better engineering, joints, articulation, paint. If they want to. They have such hit or miss engineering. One figure is great (Goose), another one breaks (Jabber). It's like a page out of XTB's playbook, but not one they should have borrowed.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
  11. Hoffman

Hoffman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    To be fair, I only have Roadking and some of the IF DEC, but I had to vote for RK for what it accomplished.

• Like Like x 1
  12. CZ Hazard

News Credits:
    I'm supposed to be drawing the line on MP and 84 / 85 cast and a few movie characters, but Roadking and Maverick are both making me re-think this.

13. Curium

Curium Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Are you defining the 84/85 cast based on the toy catalogs or the cartoons? If it is the Season 1 and 2 of the cartoon then Roadking and Maverick qualify, which may or may not be a helpful thing to point out at this moment.

• Like Like x 1
  14. zfarsh

zfarsh Big Penguin Chief

News Credits:
    Thanks for the sum-up and count and write up.

For me, i decided this year to get rid of my Legends collection (or lower it down to super favorites), and no more new CHUG collection (in fact i reduced it a little), and only stick with G1 MP.

So in the end, 2019 was mostly MP, and 2020 will be the same for me. No plans to change that, heck maybe i sell more CHUG and make more money / room for MPs. Really, FT Roadking / Spoiler / Quietus T along with TE-01 have been the best purchases years, and made me realize that i needed to just focus on this.

FT will dominate my collection again in 2020, as I am already in for Aerialbots and Minibots, nevermind the rest... TE might get me again with their Mirage. I may sell some MP too for more room for newer ones, especially the ones that areant fully painted.

• Like Like x 2
  15. CZ Hazard

News Credits:
    Toy releases. As much as I love Scramble City I just feel they work better as smaller toys for the most part. I generally moved away from MP as I never pick them up and transform them as I do smaller toys.

But like I say, Roadking is mighty tempting. Self imposed collecting rules are garbage. Haha

• Like Like x 1
  16. xueyue2

xueyue2 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thanks for the sum-up all these year! Keep up the good work!

• Like Like x 1
  17. Calabask

Calabask Waspinator Cultist

News Credits:
    Fans toys does pants for their Menasor and it gets toy of the year. Fans Project does it six years ago and everyone loses their mind.

• Like Like x 3
  18. peddlerofwine

peddlerofwine Starscream's Robot Gun

CZ Hazard
    Ever think of doing a fiscal year poll (Oct 2019 to Sep 2020) with the polls open in December? It might make it easier for everyone since we don’t have to worry about the figures that come in late December. I think the only problem would be remembering release dates, but it’s the same issue with the annual year poll. Just a suggestion. Your annual poll kicks ass, regardless. Thanks for keeping up with it.

• Like Like x 1
  19. CZ Hazard

News Credits:
    It's a nice idea but as you say people will still forgot what was released when. Might as well keep it to annual and let the public decide. I've never not counted a product because it came out last week of the year, always happy to carry it over.

But I have considered it before. If I was going to do it, the sensible thing would be to run from March to January and run the poll during Chinese New Year and the factory shut down. But we're sort of hung up on Western new year.

• Like Like x 3
  20. CZ Hazard

News Credits:
    Nope. I had no idea. I'm just going by the votes and 3P history. Roadking already has 43% of the votes for Toy of the Year, Fans Toys are a legit juggernaut, I feel bad for anyone going up directly against them, but I'm really chuffed to see DX9 back in the game, they had one of my favourite releases this year.

I have no idea where you got the idea I was shitting on them from. You imagined that context out of my content all by yourself.

• Like Like x 1