Third Party Beast figures?

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Verno, Aug 31, 2012.

1. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Red and black red and black

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    I'm going to flat out say that when I first saw Beast Wars as a kid back in '96, I hated it. Even at 13 I was already a "Trukk not Monkey" advocate. 19 years later nothing has changed. I still hate Beast Wars, I still hate organic beast modes, and I don't give two shits how well the show did. I couldn't care less.

That being said...I wouldn't mind seeing BW fans get their due, but I think you have to wait until 3P companies ring out G1 dry before you see them go into other eras.

I think the biggest obstacle is whether or not Beast Wars REALLY has a sustainable market. Even with how much G1 has been done, there's still a lot of it left and G1 is a huge money machine for 3P companies. With some BW fans in this thread agreeing that BW toys were close to perfection, how many 3P companies think there is a viable market to be had?

I think that's the challenge. With G1 you already have a huge install base willing and ready to eat up anything G1, and judging by the recent spree of 3P "Masterpiece" style figures it's clear that the closer you get to pure G1 the better it is gonna sell.

2. Ionus

Ionus Well-Known Member

I don't know man, the Cheetor/Tigatron figure kind of sucked. The beast head in bot mode protruded out so far that it made the figure look goofy. They also had giant leg kibble in bot mode. Plus Tigatron didn't look like the character all that much except for a similar paint scheme. Those could be made much better.

3. XenoTK

XenoTK Reachout and Touch Face

Wow, you've totally opened my eyes to how each and every Beast Era figure is a 100% perfect representation of their show appearances.

[​IMG]
    I mean just look at how seamlessly Hasbro captured every character's likeness on the first try every single time...

[​IMG]
    Colors always perfect and never is gimmickry or kibble in the way of aesthetics...

[​IMG]
    Perfectly organic beast modes that are never marred by excessive hinges or gaps...

[​IMG]
    Perfect representations of the show characters in scale and appearance, with no unsightly robot parts hanging off...

[​IMG]
    Beloved characters always getting the respect they deserve. Never made to look unsightly or tacky for the sake of unnecessary added features...

[​IMG]
    Perfect... Perfect... Perfect figures in every way. Every last one of them...

It's very kind of you to offer the services of companies you don't like, but clearly the problem was in my head the whole time. The Beast Era was a time of uncharacteristic perfection on Hasbro's part and absolutely nothing requires any improvement whatsoever.

Seriously though, I like how the folks in this thread can only seem to act complimentary towards Beast era stuff when they think they can trick people into thinking the toys were better than they were. Because clearly Beast Wars and Beast Machines were crap shows from the darkest age in Transformers history, but the toys were "perfect" ;) 

4. autobot prowl

autobot prowl Well-Known Member

Honestly I think I would get some BW characters in 3rd party. I grew up with G1, but I liked BW a lot too. Heck my most sought out figure right now is Generations Waspinator. Even my 6 year old is in love with BW right now and keeps trying to steal my Rhinox.

5. Ionus

Ionus Well-Known Member

Wow! I didn't know the Black Arachnia figure had such big knockers. I may have to pick that one up (kidding).

Seriously though, does that figure remind anyone else of this? :

[​IMG]

6. ryu hayabusha

ryu hayabusha Well-Known Member

OMG i'm having art history flash backs....

7. JoeHavok

JoeHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I couldn't have written a better response!

8. AutobotSoldier

AutobotSoldier Well-Known Member

I wouldn't mind a third party DepthCharge and of course Rampage as well cause one cannot go without the other. And you know MMC, MT or FP would knock it out da park

9. GAUGE

GAUGE ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

News Credits:
    give it another 20 years people.

You'll see your precious beast wars characters get some love.

G1 will always be the most sought after and wanted cannon when it comes to what 3p companies make.

10. yoonakron

yoonakron Welcome to you're "doom!"

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I detect...sarcasm...perhaps...? lol

I really got into the show and liked it more when I found out it was tied to G1. That said, I'm not itching for perfect or even better representations of its characters. I only really liked the Transmetals designs anyway and the toys we got for those were "close enough" in my eyes. The G1 train the 3Ps are riding on doesn't look like it's losing steam anytime soon and I'm fine with that. I suspect most other people are too or at least enough for 3Ps to push all other TF series to the side for now. Like Gauge says, give it another 20 years; hell, that what us Gee Wunners had to wait. It's our time to bask in the glory!

11. RazorclawX

RazorclawX Campaign Oracle

Hahah... that is some hilarious revisionist history going there.

12. XenoTK

Geewunners had to wait 38 years?

Is there some Doctor Who shit at work here? Or is it that in the alternate history where the Beast Era was totally insignificant to the franchise does 18 years plus twenty equal somehow equal 30?

I know right, I'd be impressed by the sheer level of reality-bending ignorance if it weren't meant to antagonize me somehow.

13. Ionus

Ionus Well-Known Member

Since all of you can't agree we will saw the third parties in half! (My Solomon wisdom)

Really, why can't both be made at the same time? I am a G1 fan myself but it wouldn't bother me to see some 3p Beast Wars figures. Hell, I would probably buy a couple. Especially Tarantulas.

14. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    Someone on here has a really clever custom Dinobot - consider both Hasbro fleshy ones are a bit horrible I'd go for one like that super-quick.

The obvious thing to make is a Beast Machines Megatron harness for TM2 Megatron to wear.

Or perhaps a 'Noble' non-transforming 6" action figure.

Poor Nightscream - needed - but not 'wanted'.

15. XenoTK

I've spent enough time in the Mech Ideas Animated thread to know that if there's anything people hate more than even looking at something not gratuitously G1-derived it is sharing the wealth.

Geewunner in any other thread on this forum: "Lol, there are so many 3P products perfectly catering to my every whim exclusively that I can't even afford it all. God I love all the options, but this is ridiculous!"
    Geewunner in a thread asking for change: "Everything is perfect, nothing needs to change. The stunning lack of originality is 100% sustainable and if you take this from me I'll stab you and leave your body to rot in a ditch, lmao..."

It's incredibly patronizing that people think fans of other series can't read what they've said in other threads about how the Third Party market is on the verge of self-destruction as long as every company is trying to do the exact same thing. But when it comes to branching out into other series, the fake concern comes out with fans wondering if anything besides Geewun is sustainable. If you're so damn concerned with how well these companies do, why are you urging them to stick with the same old things even you don't fully believe can sustain the entire market forever.

But whatever, go ahead and keep insisting that companies opposing the tenuous Status Quo will lead to the destruction of the third company market when even the most faithful geewunners will vocally admit that the very same market started cannibalizing itself from a lack of originality a while back :rolleyes2 

16. malware5

malware5 Well-Known Member

It's very simple, Takara has seen it, third parties have seen it and people on these forums have seen it, why can't you? So here it is;

G1=$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    BW & everything else= not so much $$$$

The fact we're even getting IDW figures from HasTak, which are slavishly G1 with exaggerated proportions and we're even seeing micromasters by third parties before BW figures says it all, really!? There just simply isn't enough demand for BW and other figures to make it worthwhile for Takara and third parties to invest in.

17. XenoTK

You say that like TakaraTomy hasn't just as eagerly offered up the new Generations Beast Era figures just as hard as Hasbro has...

In fact the very existence of several new Beast Wars molds in the CHUG lines pretty much ruins any kind of arguement you might have had... Do you really think with the Beast Wars 20th anniversary only a couple years away Hastak is done milking the the consistently ignored cash-cow that is Beast Wars and Beast Machines?

If anything Beast era fans will start coming out of the woodwork now that Hastak has stopped ignoring them, the ones driven from the fandom by spiteful Geewunners who choose to interpret their consciously-enforced silence as a lack of interest. But yeah... I guess I'm the one ignoring the signs :rolleyes2  <- Can't roll my eyes much harder at that notion

18. Predacon

Predacon Well-Known Member

Aside from maybe Cheetor, Tigatron and Blackarachnia (original), BW toys were pretty damn good and show accurate. They also used modern engineering still used today. Not counting Rhinox as that has already been superbly addressed by Hasbro (a much needed good official product).

Very little need for improved versions.

Aside from that, most of the 3Ps are Asian and that typically means G1 cartoon only.

19. XenoTK

All the more reason they should give us some Beast Machines figures, since Hasbro utterly dropped the ball on that back in 1999. I'd like to see someone claim that those toys were "perfect".

Besides there's apparently quite a demand for IDW's Cybertronian vehicle mode designs, I'll never understand why the characters having at least one good toy means that they don't ever need any more toys for the rest of time. That's never stopped third party companies before...
    Remember that at least one country in Asia got two more "Beast Wars" cartoons than we did in the west.

Besides all that means is that whatever company decides to jump in on that scene gets to have complete control over the 3P Beast Wars/Machines market, which is a great opportunity to make a ton of money off an oft-ignored demographic (And not nearly as much of a risk as some people seem to think and will insist at any given opportunity).

20. TM2 Dinobot

TM2 Dinobot closet otaku

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    XenoTK knows what he's talking about.