Think of G1

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Starscream0625, Jun 29, 2017.

1. NotRamjet97

NotRamjet97 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Because G1's a friggin awful cartoon that's best left forgotten.

2. Jamocha101

Jamocha101 Well-Known Member

I'm sure many of us were little kids when G1 was on television. Likewise, any of the young children watching Bayformers now likely don't have the same rancorous opinions that we do as adults.

3. FlamingBolt

FlamingBolt Well-Known Member

it's on the brink of being overrated imo

4. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    I do think of it; it reminds me the root system of a tree. Dirty, tangled and rough but vital for the more engaging and strong redwood that grows from it. I have no objection to (and in fact would encourage) the use of G1 comics and cartoons as free idea buckets. What I object to is the inability to make those ideas better realised when they use them.

5. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Because G1 is over 30 years old and didn't have hundreds of millions worth of budget.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

It's the same reason people are expecting Spider Man Homecoming to be something better than the 60's cartoon series and why people are expecting Justice League to be something better than the Super Friends cartoon. People want something that is fan friendly and trips all their nostalgia buttons but they also want something that is on par with whatever the standard is for live action movies with insane budgets and an army of talented people working on the film.

Take Deadpool. The movie isn't 100% comic book but because they hit enough things to make fans happy then fans feel like it's a fan friendly movie even though it doesn't follow the comic books word for word and some characters are a combination of characters.

Heck even with modern cartoons I expect something up to the level of Avatar the Last Airbender, Samurai Jack, or the Venture Brothers, not hey let's go with the standard set by Transformers G1 or GI Joe A Real American Hero. In anime I wouldn't have said it would have been okay for Your Name to be at the same standard as the original Speed Racer even though I enjoyed it as a kid.

7. BumblebeeFan71

BumblebeeFan71 Loyal Starscream Follower

I definitely get that, though here's something I'm curious of and it could lead to an interesting discussion. Did any Transformers media ever have above the bar storylines?

I thought of everything I've seen and so far I hadn't came up with anything. Transformers has had it's stellar story moments but they seem to only occasionally pop up rather than carry that theme the entire way through.

Only example I can think of currently that does this is the IDW comics. I don't like them, but I can commend them for the interesting storylines, main example being Megatron. But other than that, from a story perspective the Transformers' plotlines had always been simple and average.

Though before you ask, I have seen Beast Wars so I can't judge that. All I know is I heard some claim it had excellent writing, and others claim the writing didn't age well at all.

Yet despite the simple and average storylines, people (including myself) still enjoy it for what it is. The movies' storylines do come off average at times, and sometimes has great ideas and concepts. Yet this is quite normal for your typical Transformers storyline. Perhaps that's what hurts these films so much.

I mean let's look back to 1986 with the Transformers movie. They were pratically pulling out all the stops for the film because it was going on the big screen. Yet the movie ended up a flop and it was more than just because Optimus dying. Critics didn't like the storyline.

Perhaps the problem may lay with that no one quite knows how to adapt the Transformers storyline to a big budget film. It works great as a show (and comic series), yet as a film it always seemed to struggle.

8. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Other than a few episodes of Beast Wars story telling, plots, and the writing in general has been really weak.

Like with GI Joe the strong points seem to have been getting voice actors that could inject character with a limited number of lines and character designs that just looked really cool. It's not that Starscream or Cobra Commander ever delivers great lines it's that Chris Latta delivered the lines in a way that most people are never going to forget. We remember Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow because they reversed what we expected about good guys wear white and bad guys wear black.

A movie does seem a bit trickier than getting something like a cartoon series to work. It took me a few episodes to warm up to series like Transformers Animated and Transformers Prime.