Things you miss most about the 1990s

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by awful_gollum, Sep 1, 2021.

1. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    We had SBS for that in Australia. Nominally it was the 'Special Broadcasting Service' that handled things like foreign news, television and cinema. Its nickname however, was 'Sex Between Soccer'. So loads of stuff like that managed to snake its way to air without much change - if any. They managed to show so many Japanese sexplotation movies - The Weatherwoman made many appearances - that I can't help but think the broadcaster was a fan.

• Like Like x 3
  2. fschuler

fschuler Post Count Inflated With Hot Air TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I recall being amazed that they even had the nerve to broadcast it! I figured for sure that the nanny state would figure it out sooner or later and put a stop to it. Eventually, the station became a Warner Brothers “WB” affiliate and the Japanimation program came to an end, unfortunately. It was fun while it lasted, and I got to discover some stuff a lot earlier than I might have otherwise. I even have a copy of Akira on VHS that I bought for my brother back then…he gifted it back to me earlier this year!

• Like Like x 2
  3. IceCreamCyborg

IceCreamCyborg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Computers not always updating in the 90s. I just spent way too much time waiting on my computer to update before I could print a label! Haven't been on your computer for a week!? Well guess what? Updates! & verifications! That's what you get to do! Trying to do this thing that was once really simple in the 90s!? Not now!!! Trying to go to bed!? Good! More longer updates! To keep me safe! I feel so safe! THANKS!
    I also miss turning on the power button & pressing start to play a completed game.
    I miss rap music that clearly articulates the specific number of blunts that were smoked.
    I miss Mtv
    I miss Eek the cat
    I miss buttons, the accuracy of buttons not touch screen miss reads.

Had to rant! The massive updates or situations of when a simple task turns into a complicated ordeal! You've been there.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    What the hell do you people do - or maybe not do - with your computers that this happens so often?

5. IceCreamCyborg

IceCreamCyborg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't know. This type of thing started happening to me in the past 3 years. My guess is I use my phone over my computer & when I go use my computer it is playing catch up with the updates? It's like DAYUM! isn't this supposed to do updates when in sleep mode? After my MacBook melted years ago, the difference I liked with apple wasn't there anymore for me & went to PC & not really kept up with computers much. I find the overflow of updates all day once off-putting but I admit my ignorance I developed.
    You know else I miss from the 90s? Waffle Crisp cereal

6. newmanium

newmanium Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Seinfeld
    Julia Louis Dreyfus
    George Carlin HBO specials
    Alcoholica (aka Metallica)
    LAN parties playing Half-Life and Starcraft
    Windows 95
    SNES (Super Mario Kart, Battletoads in Battlemania) & Sega Genesis (Mortal Kombat 1&2)
    First car

• Like Like x 1
  7. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    I'd heard about people like you, but I always thought you were legends........

• Like Like x 2
  8. ObakaChanTachi

ObakaChanTachi woke among sussy soyjak

News Credits:
    (Obligatory not a 90s-kid disclaimer)

The booming economy. The optimism and positive vibes. The world peace compared to our current decade. The awe of discovering the Internet. The video games of the era. And the music, easily the best part of the era.

God, I wish I were a teen in the 90s.

• Like Like x 4
  9. Shattered Trousers

Shattered Trousers That thing Ratchet needed.

News Credits:
    images - 2021-09-15T210929.576.jpeg

Des Mangan was like the older brother I never had!

His enthusiastic, dry humoured introductions to the Saturday night SBS Cult Movie spot were legendary!

Des introduced me to so many raunchy classics I proudly own on DVD today. Weatherwoman was pretty good, although I was always more partial to Weatherwoman Returns and how off-the-wall the comedy became by the end.

Erotic Ghost Story remains a true favourite, and early in our relationship Ms. Shattered Trousers and I bonded over our affection for Erotic Ghost Story 2 and 3. Des' introduction to Erotic Ghost Story always made mention of the lead, Amy Yip, making her name on Sex and Zen, but for whatever reason I never watched that one when it would air.

Of course, Battle Angel Alita, Ninja Scroll and Castle of Cagliostro (with the "Wolf" English dub) were required viewing whenever they came on. Porco Rosso and Space Adventure Cobra (with the "Yello" soundtrack) were also on heavy rotation, though I have stronger memories of those two airing as midday movies than as Saturday night Cult Movies.

I used to wish that Madman would license Des Mangan's intros and include them on the DVDs as a bonus feature. For me, those introductions were just as enjoyable as the movie itself.

~L~

• Like Like x 1
  10. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    I remember that guy, he was a fuckin' champ. I don't remember Battle Angel Alita or Ninja Scroll airing on the channel - but I wouldn't be shocked if they did - but I definitely remember Castle of Cagliostro: sadly that bit of trivia never came up no matter how many pub trivia nights I went to :(  . I was really disappointed when I bought the DVD and it wasn't the dub SBS had used. Porco Rosso was of course a classic. In fact I kind of wish Des had been able to do an intro for End of Evangelion but that took forever to make it over here.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Shattered Trousers

Shattered Trousers That thing Ratchet needed.

News Credits:
    Des most definitely did an intro to Ninja Scroll, that's how I first watched the movie in... I want to say 1995.

The part I remember most was him saying to keep an eye out for the woman keeping a snake where you'd least expect one!

My twelve year old mind boggled at the mystery of where that snake could be. And I wasn't disappointed!

It doesn't matter how much pub trivia anyone can remember about those cult movies - if you can remember Des Mangan introducing it you were there!

~L~

12. Megs

Megs Well-Known Member

Some more things I miss:
    -Sunday Godzilla marathons
    -Comic book shops being full of comics and actual comic fans, not movie people looking for pops.
    -Blonde girls being everywhere
    -Saturday Mornings with the Turtles and Spider-man
    -Fall since my area no longer has one
    -Being able to say what you want without everyone crying about it.
    -Did I mention the blondes?

• Like Like x 3
  13. galvatran

galvatran Galvatran lives!

News Credits:
    Renegade tv series.

• Like Like x 1
  14. GBglide

GBglide Furst Fanatic

Not much, the '90 were not a great time for me. But to be positive, the SNES was awesome!

15. Deathcatg

Deathcatg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Is it just me, or did the early 90's really tried it's best to mix high adventure with American children's cartoons?

16. galvatran

galvatran Galvatran lives!

News Credits:
    Fellas from Down Under.

Ah the SBS channel... before World Movies streaming was a thing.

There were sequels to Erotic Ghost Story??? Gotta do some research.

• Like Like x 2
  17. onnsake

onnsake champ

News Credits:
    I miss my youth.

I was young, I was free, I had my whole life ahead of me.....

• Like Like x 2
  18. Starfire22

Starfire22 :D

News Credits:
    Music and music channels being good.

MuchMusic, MTV, The Box, etc.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Rodimus74

Rodimus74 Well-Known Member

I always watched The Box but I never called in to make a request. Wasn't gonna pay money for that.

• Like Like x 1
  20. RADimus prime

RADimus prime not so well known member just known

I started diving in 94, so I remember cheap gas less than a dollar. I just never got to buy any of it with the first gulf war jacking the prices all up lol.
    Thank you Chicago!

• Like Like x 1